dcsimg

Tigerwood floors… Anybody?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Has anyone worked with tigerwood flooring in their travels?
    The reno I’m doing right now is getting this type of wood in the living room and foyer/hallway.
    I’ve never worked with it but I understand it’s very dense.
    The flooring is pre finished t and g and is well acclimated to the home already. The environmental conditions should be fairly stable by time I do the install… So I just wanted to know if there was anything in particular that I should be aware of with this type of wood.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

I have turned zebra wood on the lathe and it is not hard to work with. I do not believe it approaches the density of ipe, hickory or hard maple. Your saw should not have any trouble cutting it.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

@bethepro Can we change the thread title here?
    I’ve just found out that the product will be TIGER wood, not zebra wood.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

@asevereid

Not sure what Tiger wood is. Can you grab a pic please.

I was at a specialty hardwood place a month ago. I was looking at the exotics and IIRC Zebra wood was so $$. Mind that at that store not much is econo.

For a floor maybe to “busy” of a wood. Some accents would be nice.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Ta Da – changed to Tigerwood – didn’t want the thread to be found by Tiger Woods enthusiasts, thus I ran it all together.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Ta Da – changed to Tigerwood – didn’t want the thread to be found by Tiger Woods enthusiasts, thus I ran it all together.

Jim

But Jim, think of the exposure we’ll get! 😀

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

And here’s a site pic of the product. I’ll try to get a clear one later.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jim

Haha, This still caught my eye as him. I thought we had a new thread about his floors or something. I guess there’s no way out of that LOL

Ok, you changed the wood on me. Went to Wikipedia because I was not sure what wood it was as I have heard of tiger maple and tiger oak. That is referring to the figure in those wood. There are a few species that are called tigerwood per Wikipedia:

Tigerwood is common name for lumber produced from several species of tropical trees:
    Coula edulis, a tree species native to tropical western Africa from Sierra Leone to Angola
    Lovoa trichilioides, a tree species found in Africa
    Goncalo alves, several species found in Brazil

So sorry, no experience with any of these. The zebrawood yes.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Jim

Well the lumber is certainly more exciting these days…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Jim

Nice shot! Maybe he could start making his own Tee’s

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I do believe it is Goncalo alves.
    This stuff is around 2200 on the janka scale…. Hmmm.. Maybe a manual nailer is not the right choice 😀

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I got some samples of tigerwood outdoor decking. Tried selling one this last summer but no go.

@asevereid
    keep us posted on how its going, as I am interested on how easy/hard it is to work with.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive only seen it installed once and that was 9 years ago. the biggest thing i rembember about it was the fights that nearly broke out over the left overs amongst our crew

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

That’ll be nice! I wonder if it all varies as much as the samples in the pics?

That would drive me nuts trying to get the right mix of light/dark

--Steve

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I’m definitely looking forward to it.
    This’ll be on hold until I start prepping in a few weeks; but if anyone does have any tips for working with it, I’d appreciate it.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

That is very nice looking flooring, it should look great when it is done. Please post up some pics along the way as you do the work so we can see what is involved.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

I have worked with tigerwood (goncalvo alves) a little bit doing small woodworking projects. It is a really nice wood and takes a finish well. As you have already noticed it is very hard and dense so you will need a good nailer for it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The samples look beautiful. It will take some time to layout the color variations so it looks nice.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Thanks everyone for the interest.
    It looks like we are about two weeks away from the install on this floor, and I am really looking forward to it.
    I will most likely rack (dry layout) nearly the whole floor after prep to get the variations worked out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.617 seconds