dcsimg

Youtube video process.. What's yours?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

This question is aimed at the Youtube Creators that we have around here.

What’s your video making process? Do you plan out your video shoot or do you just shoot the video as you proceed through a project and piece it together after?

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I work and let the camera roll. That does not sound like much, but I do have to move the camera around and set up shots. Framing a shot is sometimes a challenge and sometimes the tripod is in the way. Lots of using the zoom to get up to the work. I shoot lots and lots of video. I end up with a folder full of clips and then I take them and edit it together. The last video I did on the track saw had a couple of hours or more worth of clips and that gave me a 17 minute video. Rarely is something set up and re-shot. You can’t cut that piece of wood twice. But if I have multiples of the same thing to do, like a joint, you may see the start of one and the end of another, depending on what looks right when editing as far as angles and lighting etc. I like to go through and edit the volume levels too so machinery coming on does not blast out the viewers ears.

Editing: I go through each clip and insert parts and pieces of it into the story. I go through all the clips adding to the story as it progresses and so it makes sense. An example would be in the same track saw video, I actually planed and cut the ash strips before I did the dado, then after the dado I put the strips through the planer. I edited it the way it is on the video for continuity.

Then I go through the whole story again, adding the fades and dissolves between the clips so they transition without abruptness.

Then I go through the whole thing again, adjusting the sound levels.

Then again to see what I have and if happy I save it.

Then I go to the saved video and watch it to see if I like it.

By that time I am tired of watching it and upload it. I can count on the upload being 3x the length of the video. The 17 minute video took about an hour to upload. While it is uploading I assign it to a play list, put in the comments and tags.

Then I take the address of the video and go to a few forums and my blog and do a minimal write up and post it there too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

What is your editing suite’s @JimDaddyO and @Dustincoc … I like to use Sony Vegas Pro .. it’s one of the best editing suits out there. Unfortunately I’m not getting much time to do any video’s atm.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

@JimDaddyO wow, that’s a lot of work, you load it to a you tube account?
    I would like to put up a little video or two eventually.

I will be lurking in the background watching this thread, trying to learn something, I am no tech person that’s for sure.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Yes, I upload to my You Tube account.

For editing I use the free version of Lightworks. The full retail version has won Academy and Emmy award. I copied and pasted this from their page…..

Lightworks is EditShare’s Academy and Emmy award-winning, professional Non-Linear Editing (NLE) software supporting resolutions up to 4K as well as video in SD and HD formats. In the last 25 years Lightworks has been used to edit some of the finest films in cinema history: The Wolf of Wall Street, LA Confidential, Pulp Fiction, Heat, Road to Perdition, Hugo, The King’s Speech and many more! We’re proud of its heritage and we want to share it with you. Discover the incredible features of this application and why Oscar nominated editors around the world use Lightwork Pro every day.

They have some good instructional videos on how to use it and a forum for support and learning too. Perhaps a bit of overkill for what I am doing, but when Windows Movie Maker went the way of the dodo with Win 10 I relied on recommendations from other creators I am in touch with. It has a learning curve and there are a lot of features I don’t use yet, but may in the future.

I should also mention that I have occasionally put some music into my videos, which means another round of editing and watching to make sure it sits in the right spot and at the right volume.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I generally have an idea of what I want to capture, so I set up my camera where I want and start filming. I will then import it to my mac and use a simple editing program imovie and start working on it. Once it is done I can either manually upload it or there is a button in imovie to automatically upload it to your youtube account. Once there you can edit your seo stuff like hashtags and title of your video. You can also have to option to monetize your videos for money per view.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

There sure is a lot of work goes into creating a video. I don’t know that I would have the patience to do more than shoot a couple of minutes, then post it by way of explanation.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

What is your editing suite’s @jimdaddyo and @dustincoc … I like to use Sony Vegas Pro .. it’s one of the best editing suits out there. Unfortunately I’m not getting much time to do any video’s atm.

I use Linux so I don’t have a lot of options. I use an older version of Openshot. I have the most recent version as well but I haven’t found the cutting tool in it which is my most used tool. The program crashes occasionally. no idea why,. but I never lose data as I have it set to save every time I preview the movie and I’m always previewing.

My procedure is that I shot the video as I proceed and then try to make sense of it as I edit. I usually only go through the video once, doing all the cuts, transitions and everything in one pass. Sometime’s I’ll go back through and add in any music if needed(Youtube offers free music you can use and not have any copyright issues).

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

monman1
    Pro

but when Windows Movie Maker went the way of the dodo with Win 10

I use Windows Movie Maker to do the videos i do, and i have Windows 10 too. You need need to download this, and it works fine on my pc.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120428065652/http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/8/6/f869f03b-c17a-4419-be47-bd08fff676fa/MM26_ENU.msi

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

There sure is a lot of work goes into creating a video. I don’t know that I would have the patience to do more than shoot a couple of minutes, then post it by way of explanation.

Yah it takes quite a bit to do, specially the rendering times. Sometimes when it is rendering, i’d just leave the computer and go do something else till its done. For longer videos it could take hours.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Wow this is great info here. Thanks everyone for sharing. I am very intimidated by the whole process myself but am very glad to have people who are into it. I wouldn’t be a woodworker, or as knowledgeable on house work today without Youtubeto learn from since I know only a rare woodworker or contractor personally. Well, I suppose I know lots of you all personally, but you know what I mean.

woodman_412

I pretty much always write my videos ahead of time before I shoot them. I create a video outline that breaks it down into scenes. Within each scene I note what will be shown in that scene, any photos that will be inserted in the scene, editing notes as well as a rough script of what I want to say. Before I shoot each scene I do a dry run through the script a couple of times to get it fresh in my head and then go ahead and actually shoot it. Sometimes I’ll get it first take and other times it will take me a few times to get it right. The only episode of DP Shop Talk that I had no script at all for is the one where I was working on the IWK chair templates. That one was meant to be more of a casual shop hangout type video which I just made up as I went. I find that having a video pre-written helps me keep it cohesive and saves me time when I’m doing the filming. Hope that helps anyone that’s thinking about making videos.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.593 seconds