dcsimg

Your first work truck

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

My first wasn’t a truck.

I was a union electrical apprentice, dirt poor, with a single bag of Craftsman tools, and I drove a VW Fox with 240,000 miles on it.

Now I have a F-350 4×4 diesel crew cab, with a 2″ lift, 20″ tires, custom lumber rack, and enough lighting to operate as a lighthouse.

I always remember where I came from. Not that I’m so well heeled now, but I do have some really nice stuff, that I’m very thankful for.

And all my electrical tools are Klein and Fluke now. :blink:

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

My first truck was a ’71 GMC 3/4 ton. This is going back over 30 years. It was Industrial orange and primer. Had a 350 4bbl and a 4 speed with a bull low gear. It only went about 7 mph in first. The engine died on it so I bought an old 4 door Chevelle for the engine and sold the rest off for parts, so it was basically free. I changed that engine, by myself, with a tri-pod and a chain fall, pushing the truck under it, removing the engine, pushing it out of the way, then the car went under and I pulled the engine. While suspended (don’t tell OSHA) I pushed the car out and the truck back under and put the engine in. I used some solid flex pipe for the exhaust, exiting through a couple of Hush Thrush mufflers, true dual exhaust. You could tell I was coming from a long way away. I moved a lot of stuff with that old thing and it didn’t owe me a dime when it went.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

redwood
    Pro

A couple of more don’t laugh pictures. The truck shell, yes I built that myself. It was my first roof framing job. Also it had probably the first window I ever installed. At this point all I had ever built was fences and maybe a few decks. The only experience in the trades working for someone else was as a laborer on a fence building crew.

As a bonus pic, here is my first work motorcycle. I actually used the boxes to carry tools.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

As a bonus pic, here is my first work motorcycle. I actually used the boxes to carry tools.

LOL. I have rode a motorcycle with milk crates full of tools bungeed to it a few times. A couple times in the winter – when I was 23 or 24 I had a 1980 GMC 1 ton, one day in early March the tranny took a dump…had to ride the bike for a week and a half until I got paid and could buy a junkyard transmission. Put snow chains on the motorcycle, put on as many warm clothes that I could wear and still move, and off to work!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

LOL. I have rode a motorcycle with milk crates full of tools bungeed to it a few times. A couple times in the winter – when I was 23 or 24 I had a 1980 GMC 1 ton, one day in early March the tranny took a dump…had to ride the bike for a week and a half until I got paid and could buy a junkyard transmission. Put snow chains on the motorcycle, put on as many warm clothes that I could wear and still move, and off to work!

You gotta do what you gotta do. When I was 18, my truck refused to start one morning before work. We were working locally, so I called a cab and arrived at work on time. I got a lot of ribbing from the guys about that, but I know in the boss’s mind I gained a few brownie points.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I was probably around 22 then and thought it was cool.

Kinda neat how the finish on the bed roof kinda matches the color of the truck.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

2000 ford ranger a few years ago. started with a crossbed box then upgraded to a commercial cap. I miss the cap more than that truck. now I have a 99 dakota that came with a camper shell. I really wish it had a commercial cap.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

It was my first roof framing job.

Mark, I’ve seen worse roof framing, from guys who it wasn’t their first time.

I don’t know how to phrase that better. Besides, it’s a much needed day off today, so I have perhaps had a drinkie-pooh or 2.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

You gotta do what you gotta do. When I was 18, my truck refused to start one morning before work. We were working locally, so I called a cab and arrived at work on time. I got a lot of ribbing from the guys about that, but I know in the boss’s mind I gained a few brownie points.

Can you imagine kids today doing what they needed to get to work? They would just be a no show and if your lucky you would get a text an hour or two after they were late…

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Mark, that truck looks awesome! It was a moving advertisement for your business. Did any of your customers ever comment on it?

redwood
    Pro

Mark, that truck looks awesome! It was a moving advertisement for your business. Did any of your customers ever comment on it?

They probably just laughed. It’s really been so long ago, I hardly remember it.

I do remember what happened to it though. I sold it (sort of) to one of my hippie employees. Deductions were to be taken out of his check. At some point, he never showed up again and I couldn’t locate him. Of course he stilled owed me money and I had the title. I reported it stolen. Well about a year later I get a call from the sheriff’s office saying they found my truck down a ravine up in the mountains that I eventually moved to. It was pretty much destroyed, but the house was still on it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

@redwood are you sure the hippie wasn’t living in it?

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well here is my first work van,,, It was a sport Van 90 Back in the day there was a cooler and a tray in the back. I still see guys today that say you’re the guy that had the Yellow van. That van was back in ’87,’88,’89 Some military kid offered me a wad of cash I couldn’t turn down. He wanted for a UAV.

redwood
    Pro

Well here is my first work van,,, It was a sport Van 90 Back in the day there was a cooler and a tray in the back. I still see guys today that say you’re the guy that had the Yellow van. That van was back in ’87,’88,’89 Some military kid offered me a wad of cash I couldn’t turn down. He wanted for a UAV.

DWB, one of my surfing buddies had one real similar, but red. This was around ’70. Is that you in the pic?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No it’s not me , I hired a model for the shot. . I traded a porch I had for it. The car was shot and was only good for parts.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I keep looking at ads for used trucks. Something old and beat up for the occasional trip for wood, whether for the fire or shop. At a certain point they are expensive because they are not old, to being expensive because they are old. Every one seems to think that it is valuable as a “potential rat rod”, and advertising it as “rare”, to me means, you’re not going to find parts for it anywhere.

I am not overly fussy either, as long as it is not a Mopar (owned a couple, too many bad experiences). Full size, reg. cab, with a long box. I suppose I would go for a small truck like a Ranger/Mazda, Tacoma, etc. but that would need an extended cab for me to feel comfortable and that takes away box length, but in a 4×4 it could get interesting with some money and what’s available on the aftermarket.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No it’s not me , I hired a model for the shot. . I traded a porch I had for it. The car was shot and was only good for parts.

A porch? I’ll bet ya mean Porsche? I love those old vans, I’ve had a couple buddies that had them back in the day. Looks like yours was about a 64-66ish? They’re the mid engine van, Wish I had one today

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s a really cool van, DWB.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Yup, cool van! I could picture it with Spicoli stumbling out of it in a cloud of smoke. (Fast Times at Ridgemount High…funny movie)

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

A porch? I’ll bet ya mean Porsche?

Yea Dabbs, I never was any good at the German stuff. Thanks.

Looks like yours was about a 64-66ish?

I think it was a ’68

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.299 seconds