dcsimg

Yonico Bits. Any Good?

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Well, yes and no! I know i want the kit with the fixed and plunge bases, but haven’t made up my mind on whether to get the 1617 or the newer model 23, although right now i’m leaning towards the 23. My old craftsman router has the switch in the handle and i think i would like that better, as well as being a newer model and a bit more power. I like that bosch is honest with it’s hp ratings, current draw doesn’t lie, and 15amp is as good as it gets for a standard circuit. i have a home built router table that works quite well actually, but i think i’ll step up to a better table for the new setup. Can’t wait!

Do you have an idea what type of table setup you are thinking of stepping up to? If you plan on going Jessem, then their lift is already designed for the 1617, so you would have no problems there. Not sure about the 23 though, but there doesn’t seem to be a huge amount of difference, size wise.

Sounds like you’ve got some good ideas for the upgrade. Keep us posted.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I will, i havn’t really looked at router tables yet, so i’ll have to start doing some research. I also want to build a sled for leveling slabs, as i plan on cutting cedar slabs with my chainsaw mill for coffee tables (we have nice big old growth cedar near here)

Yonico/Precision Bits are decent, and the kits are a good way to get a router bit collection started. I would much rather a newbie buy a good router and one of these sets, then get a lesser router to buy more expensive bits.

When I got my first router, I but one of the big kits. The most used bits have long been worn out, and I have replaced them as needed with higher end bits.

Mike Mader

I bought a 1/8″ round over Yonico with a 1/2″ shank and I like it so far, I bought it because it was one of the few with the specs I wanted, I didn’t see this thread until after. But it seems like it was a reasonable purchase.

Will

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I ended up buying the dish-shaped bit that I needed, but I still haven’t used it. 😮 It seems nice, though I don’t know how long it’ll stay sharp for.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I ended up buying the dish-shaped bit that I needed, but I still haven’t used it. 😮 It seems nice, though I don’t know how long it’ll stay sharp for.

Delta

I’d say it’ll stay sharp a very long time as long as you don’t use it.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

😆

That’s funny right there. I just re-read my post, and it does kinda sound stupid.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Delta

Delta let us know how they finally stand up to use.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just got my hands on one of their lock miter bits. It was a lot less expensive than the Freud, and I dont yet know if its a routing profile I will use again. Seemed like a good test both for the brand and for the type of bit/joinery

Should put it to use in a week or so

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Here’s a review
    http://www.woodworkweb.com/woodwork-topics/woodworking-tool-reviews/401-evaluating-yonico-router-bits.html

I bought Yonico Reversible Glue Joint Router Bit a few years ago. I thought I would try. I was happy with the bit and price at the time. Mine you only use once. I do plan on using again. I now see you buy them on Amazon.ca. I have hard time buying name brand router bits for all the use them. But I don’t buy the cheapest ones either. I have been buying Craftex Blue Tornado router bits lately. I usually buy them when they are sale.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

I bought a 1/8″ round over Yonico with a 1/2″ shank and I like it so far, I bought it because it was one of the few with the specs I wanted, I didn’t see this thread until after. But it seems like it was a reasonable purchase.

Update: I bought a Freud 34-118 1/8-Inch Radius Round over bit, because I was somewhat unhappy with the Yonico for tear out depending on the grain, the Freud’s carbide cutters are angled whereas the Yonico’s are square. As such I find the shearing cut of Freud to produce less tear out.

Will

Update: I bought a Freud 34-118 1/8-Inch Radius Round over bit, because I was somewhat unhappy with the Yonico for tear out depending on the grain, the Freud’s carbide cutters are angled whereas the Yonico’s are square. As such I find the shearing cut of Freud to produce less tear out.

Thanks for sharing this. I’m on the fence when it comes to the Yonico bits for my new Colt.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.415 seconds