dcsimg

Workshop & Home Computers

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 554 total)
  • Author
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

im wondering how much it’s going to cost after the first year if you didnt jump on board while it was free.

im wondering how much it’s going to cost after the first year if you didnt jump on board while it was free.

The impression I got from what I read is it’s free to use for a year and it will expire or you have to buy a license.

I would hope the software doesn’t cost more. I’ve been paying about the same for OEM versions since XP. Price is usually between $90 and $100.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

The impression I got from what I read is it’s free to use for a year and it will expire or you have to buy a license.

I would hope the software doesn’t cost more. I’ve been paying about the same for OEM versions since XP. Price is usually between $90 and $100.

I don’t agree with the free for a year idea, but I guess they are trying to get people back on the upgrade train. How many people are going to bring their computer in to pay money to backup all the data and bring it to another OS if they don’t like it? Most users once they install it and have used it for a month or longer are not going to want to start from scratch again. Nice trick MS

A Working Pro since 2004

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

will new computers ship with windows10 then?

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

will new computers ship with windows10 then?

Very good question! I assume that only Windows 8-8.1 will get the free upgrade. Computer bundles with Windows 10 will be in the cost of the bundled computer I would assume.

A Working Pro since 2004

I don’t agree with the free for a year idea, but I guess they are trying to get people back on the upgrade train. How many people are going to bring their computer in to pay money to backup all the data and bring it to another OS if they don’t like it? Most users once they install it and have used it for a month or longer are not going to want to start from scratch again. Nice trick MS

I think MS is scared. Many still using XP and still not switching.

I went to 7 and it’s fine for me. Just waiting until they stop updating like they did with XP.

I keep thinking that everyone can do the work themselves. Forgot most can’t.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I went to 7 and it’s fine for me. Just waiting until they stop updating like they did with XP.

Officially MS will no longer send out any improvements to Windows 7 beyond the normal security updates sent out monthly. That means no new functions or capabilities will be added to Windows 7.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Officially MS will no longer send out any improvements to Windows 7 beyond the normal security updates sent out monthly. That means no new functions or capabilities will be added to Windows 7.

Man, I almost crapped in my pants when I first read your post. Went to Google to read up. Haven’t been keeping up with the MS news for a while.

Yeah they will stop the mainstream updates but will still do extended updates til 2020.

Phew!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/07/10/microsoft-windows-7-mainstream-support/

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

That’s not bad support for an older operating system. With all the years of use it should be pretty stable. What is most important is that they continue security updates

A Working Pro since 2004

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I just recently switched from xp to 7 and I’m fine with 7 for now. If I continued with xp though I would have had to reinstall anyway so I figured just go up a level.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

So we have Apple OS, Microsoft OS, Linux OS. Has Google (Android) come out with a PC OS yet?

So we have Apple OS, Microsoft OS, Linux OS. Has Google (Android) come out with a PC OS yet?

They have, well in a way they have. The Google Chromebook uses a Google OS. Basically just Google Chrome running on a computer. Not very powerful. Can’t add anything like Word or Excel. Just a way to surf the net. Could be productive if you download Apps from Google and use google drive.

Check it out.
    https://www.google.com/chrome/devices/features/

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Yah, more powerful was what I was pointing at. The Chromebook is nothing more than a big tablet in my opinion.

Yah, more powerful was what I was pointing at. The Chromebook is nothing more than a big tablet in my opinion.

No, nothing more powerful. Would be interesting if Google jumped in the OS software game. Give MS and Apple a run for the money and hopefully lower prices.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

the chromebook just allows them to track everything you do – but then again, so does everything else electronic we use 🙂

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

They have, well in a way they have. The Google Chromebook uses a Google OS. Basically just Google Chrome running on a computer. Not very powerful. Can’t add anything like Word or Excel. Just a way to surf the net. Could be productive if you download Apps from Google and use google drive.

Check it out.

Don’t forget STEAM OS. All those STEAM box’s the kids are buying nowadays to play games.

A Working Pro since 2004

KenW
    Pro

I didn’t think it was available yet.

I didn’t know. Ken was making it sound like it was available already. I don’t if I would upgrade myself.

No, Win10 isn’t available yet. But yes, when it does come out I plan to upgrade. I understand there is a beta version out, but I don’t care for beta’s. But I also am going to try to find an ISO for win8.1 if it exists. And will be keeping my Win8 product key just in case.

Check it out.

Don’t forget STEAM OS. All those STEAM box’s the kids are buying nowadays to play games.

My son uses Windows for Steam. Everyone gives him Gamestop gift cards and he automatically trades them in for Steam ones.

Have you built a Steam Box yet? Do the computers need a lot of horsepower?

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

What is Steam?

I actually don’t know either but this might explain it way better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29

My son has an account. I thought it was kinda like the Playstation Network or Xbox live.

He doesn’t have one of those Steam boxes and uses a Windows based computer to hook up to Steam and play his games.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 554 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.551 seconds