dcsimg

Workshop & Home Computers

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 554 total)
  • Author
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

???
    They’re in business to make money, aren’t they?
    How many other companies stick with ‘one OS’? MSDOS worked for floppies, but not for 2TB drives on multicore machines.
    Who else offers ‘upgrades’? I got a free upgrade from 95 to 98, but few others are compatible enough to ‘upgrade’.
    Who else has a support site like them?
    Some people trade in their cars when the ashtrays are full. I’m sticking with XP as long as this machine will run. Then I’ll see what’s out there.

I completely understand your point of view. I do really, I just get bothered sometimes by all of the new OS’s that are out there and available. I’m not an Apple junkie, but do they do the same thing? I thought that Apple will give you the updates as long as your machines can handle it? I just see software as something that could be upgraded as long as your hardware is still able to run it. Once my hardware burns up, blows out, or just doesn’t cut it, I don’t mind getting a new system with new software on it. I hope this makes a little sense.

I guess that all I am trying to say is that I guess I wish that software would just evolve and not be replacable like hardware.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

i hear you I just picked up a new laptop and was forced to finally use win 8 – I cant stand it, i hate it i hate i hate it

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

SO I was reading a story that Microsoft is going to offer the upgrade to Windows 10 for free to early adopters. Now it also sounds like once that year is up your going to have to pay something but still getting details…

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/21/microsoft-to-provide-free-upgrades-to-windows-10/

A Working Pro since 2004

KenW
    Pro

What don’t you like about Win 8.1? There are settings that allow you to make the interface work much like Win 7

SO I was reading a story that Microsoft is going to offer the upgrade to Windows 10 for free to early adopters. Now it also sounds like once that year is up your going to have to pay something but still getting details…

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/21/microsoft-to-provide-free-upgrades-to-windows-10/

I hope it’s true. I’d like to try Win 10.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I don’t know that the free win10 offering will hold up. I feel like it’s still a rumor right now and things may change by the time win10 comes out.

I don’t know that the free win10 offering will hold up. I feel like it’s still a rumor right now and things may change by the time win10 comes out.

I’ll be happy if they give us a good discount on a upgrade.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I think win8.1 was a free upgrade and that’s good. They should offer more free upgrades and less brand new OS’s

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Yeah I received Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 free of charge. Nice to see for once. They only did that because there were many people complaining on the changes in layout and the start menu disappearing.

A Working Pro since 2004

KenW
    Pro

I was reading last night about the forthcoming Windows 10. Seems they will offer free upgrades to those using Win 7 and 8 expected sometime after April. Though from what the different articles I was reading, it seems that Win 10 will be cost effective only for the average consumer. Monthly updates are planned and corporations will have to pay for these.

Of course anything with Microsoft is up for grabs until the actual release date. I plan to read up on Win 10 more before I upgrade to it. Everything indicated it will be free for up to one year after release for 7 and 8 users.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I also heard it was only a free upgrade for the first year or maybe you only get updates for a year idk. Making corporations pay for updates is ridiculous. Just another way to get a little more out of companies who probably thrive on windows platforms.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I also heard it was only a free upgrade for the first year or maybe you only get updates for a year idk. Making corporations pay for updates is ridiculous. Just another way to get a little more out of companies who probably thrive on windows platforms.

So are you saying that if they do the free upgrades, after a year you will have to pay for it, or they will only provide the Windows 10 upgrade for a year?

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Not sure exactly. Ove only heard parts of rumors at this point. I think try might be kicking around a few ideas. Maybe like a 30-day trial but instead it’s a one year trial requiring activation later on? Not sure

KenW
    Pro

Cnet article says “In the first year the software is available, the company will upgrade any devices running Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 for free. The free upgrade is only available for the first year. Microsoft has yet to announce the software’s price for the upgrade after that one-year window.”

I’m wondering if you can go back to your old version if you don’t like Windows 10.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

You can if you want to backup and restore your computer. Or copy your Harddrive to another one and upgrade it.

KenW
    Pro

If you are using Win 7 you can make an ISO drive and always revert back to it. Win 8 is not so easy.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Have you made the switch to 10 yet KenW?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I didn’t think it was available yet.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I didn’t think it was available yet.

I didn’t know. Ken was making it sound like it was available already. I don’t if I would upgrade myself.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 554 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.820 seconds