dcsimg

Workshop & Home Computers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 554 total)
  • Author
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

AMD A10 6800K APU
    MSI FM2 A85XMA-E35 Motherboard
    2x 4GB AMD Radeon RP 1866 Memory
    Fractal Arc Midi R2 case
    Fractal tesla R2 650W Power Supply (need to upgrade)
    Kingston SSDNow V300 60 GB SSD
    2 X Sata Drives
    LG 24X DVD Burner
    Win 8 64
    Antec FX Liquid Cooler
    7 Fans (including two for the LCU)

Going to add a dedicated GPU shortly for some more performance. I’ll take a picture soon. Want to do some cable management and cleaning/upgrade.

(sorry, noticed I went off-topic here)

Wow, I’ve been out of it so long I don’t recognize any of those components. The specs I’ve found on the net look great. Is the Radeon RP a new video card? I couldn’t find anything on it.

My last computer I built was a easy one. Got a Intel NUC to put in my kitchen for my wife to use for Netflix and to store her recipes.

Sorry about the OT, too.

A Working Pro since 2004

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

The AMD APU is GPU and CPU in one so therefore thats AMD Radeon Memory. I have a PCI slot for a dedicated graphics card and think I will get one soon.

A Working Pro since 2004

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

8GB RAM in your computer, there are some video cards with that much if not more these days.

Cool thread! I built up two of these recently. One as a Home Theater PC and one for the Kitchen. It’s a Intel NUC. Uses Intel Core i5 processors and is pretty good for an all in one.

Just add laptop memory and a 2.5 or mSATA hard drive and you are set to go.

I have one of each size. The shorter one can only take a mSATA hard drive but the taller one can take a 2.5 hard drive.

The whole computer fits in your hand. Good for a general purpose computer but not for games.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

8GB RAM in your computer, there are some video cards with that much if not more these days.

It’s not that much but is high quality RAM. DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 cost about $140 for the two sticks.

Cool thread! I built up two of these recently. One as a Home Theater PC and one for the Kitchen. It’s a Intel NUC. Uses Intel Core i5 processors and is pretty good for an all in one.

Just add laptop memory and a 2.5 or mSATA hard drive and you are set to go.

I have one of each size. The shorter one can only take a mSATA hard drive but the taller one can take a 2.5 hard drive.

The whole computer fits in your hand. Good for a general purpose computer but not for games.

These mini pc’s or Home Theater PC’s are great! I agree you don’t need it to game, that is a dedicated rig

A Working Pro since 2004

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

wow that is pretty small considering most of the space is due to the size of the hard drive.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s a good thing to get for just backing up pictures and/or music? Could it be like an external something that I just plug in to the USB??? I have over 40gig of this stuff and don’t feel like buying a bunch of thumb drives or cards (that could fail like I recently had happen), Is there something out there that would be cheaper and hold more than them anyway?

wow that is pretty small considering most of the space is due to the size of the hard drive.

Here’s a pic of the hard drive sitting on top of a 2.5 HD

For the taller one I built I already had a 2.5 drive lying around so to save some $$$ I used it instead of a mSATA.

I also stuck laptop bluetooth and wireless networking cards in both.

What’s a good thing to get for just backing up pictures and/or music? Could it be like an external something that I just plug in to the USB??? I have over 40gig of this stuff and don’t feel like buying a bunch of thumb drives or cards (that could fail like I recently had happen), Is there something out there that would be cheaper and hold more than them anyway?

My wife likes these:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Drive-Storage/dp/B006Y5UV4A

Pretty quiet and can hold a lot of stuff and not super expensive. It’s a hard drive though so it may fail sooner or later. Haven’t had one fail but it could.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Intel Core i5 processors are pretty powerful also. You must have no lag or issues.

A Working Pro since 2004

Intel Core i5 processors are pretty powerful also. You must have no lag or issues.

It’s more than we need. Much better than the Pentium 4 which we had in the kitchen before. That one was good enough but being a old computer it didn’t have driver support for Windows 7 so I had to run XP and when I replaced the TV which we use as a monitor it only had HDMI. Bought one of these to use the VGA on the TV.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008COJXHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wasn’t that great. Figured it was time to upgrade.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My wife likes these:

Pretty quiet and can hold a lot of stuff and not super expensive. It’s a hard drive though so it may fail sooner or later. Haven’t had one fail but it could.

Yeah yeah external hard drive is probably what I’ve been told…but ouch on the price of that one *sigh*, I’m just not thinking my stuff is worth that.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

That works. It can be a pain sometimes to connect older stuff.

Here’s a picture of the computer I built last. It was about 2 years ago or less. Really bad cable management, but I was continually working on it. Made no sense at the time to hide all the wires. Been quite a few changes since also

A Working Pro since 2004

My wife likes these:

Yeah yeah external hard drive is probably what I’ve been told…but ouch on the price of that one *sigh*, I’m just not thinking my stuff is worth that.

There’s cheaper ones available

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Portable-Drive-Storage-WDBUZG5000ABK-NESN/dp/B00CI3BISU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1421170849&sr=8-11&keywords=wd+passport

If you have old hard drives lying around you could get a enclosure to make a external drive.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hard+drive+enclosures

I’m a strong believer in backing up data. Losing data is a pain. I had a hard drive crash. I was able to recover a lot of the data but the program renamed every single file with numbers and I had to sort through every single file to find stuff.

You don’t realize how many files a computer has until you have to look at each and every one.

I only did it because it had all the pics we ever took of my son for about five years. It took months to go through the files because we had redundant pics. I finally sorted everything by file size and used thumbnails to get rid of the copies and got most of the pictures back.

That works. It can be a pain sometimes to connect older stuff.

Here’s a picture of the computer I built last. It was about 2 years ago or less. Really bad cable management, but I was continually working on it. Made no sense at the time to hide all the wires. Been quite a few changes since also

Nice. I like the white LED’s. To me much better than the colored stuff.

I have a Cooler Master HAF 912 case which I wanted to add a window but my computer sits in a corner desk and cannot see the stuff inside anyways. I only modded the power led to a white one since Cooler Master used a red one for both HDD and Power.

redwood
    Pro

My wife likes these:

I have a Seagate backup drive. Your stuff is worth that much if you lose it forever. Ask me how I know.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

My wife likes these:

I have a Seagate backup drive. Your stuff is worth that much if you lose it forever. Ask me how I know.

I agree, the back up hard drives are well worth the money. I have a 2TB Seagate portable that stores all my business files, taxes, pictures, etc. I went through one hard drive crash about 3 years ago where I lost a lot of business files and pics – won’t happen again. I also have a Dropbox Pro account that I use for contracts, estimates, and other stuff that I may need to access on the go.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Backup drives are a relatively small cost compared to trying to recover a crashed hard drive. Also Cloud storage makes a ton of sense especially if you need to access on the go. Technology sure keeps changing with the cost seemingly always coming down.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

What never seems to work well for me are those USB thumb flash drives for really large files. Maybe I just overheat them too much or something.

A Working Pro since 2004

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

This is like a foreign language to me. I do have a couple of external hard drives for backing up. I also agree that is a good thing to do.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 554 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.937 seconds