dcsimg

Workshop Functional Improvement Projects You Built.

Viewing 20 posts - 801 through 820 (of 851 total)
  • Author

It is coming along nicely Peter. Great work! Do you wax the slides or any other treatment to help the drawer move in and out?

The 1/32″ added to the dados helped a lot to ease drawer operation. I do have to do a little bit of sanding and waxing to fine tune.

I finished up the handles today. I cut 1″ squares of walnut, beveled one side 10º for a hand grip then cut them into 3 1/2″ lengths and rounded over the outside edges. The little jig I used to mark for pilot holes on the handles and for the screw holes on the drawers. Finish is BLO.

There is one coat of shellac on carcass and drawers, that will do for protection. Time now to load it up.

Wow Peter , that’s a really nice looking station , Heck I put it in my kitchen , great job , and those handles , simple but beautiful choice with the walnut , gives it a great look
    Will you be adding any sort of drawer stoppers
    That came out very nice 👌

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

It is coming along nicely Peter. Great work! Do you wax the slides or any other treatment to help the drawer move in and out?

The 1/32″ added to the dados helped a lot to ease drawer operation. I do have to do a little bit of sanding and waxing to fine tune.

I finished up the handles today. I cut 1″ squares of walnut, beveled one side 10º for a hand grip then cut them into 3 1/2″ lengths and rounded over the outside edges. The little jig I used to mark for pilot holes on the handles and for the screw holes on the drawers. Finish is BLO.

There is one coat of shellac on carcass and drawers, that will do for protection. Time now to load it up.

Great job!
    I like it!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Wow Peter , that’s a really nice looking station , Heck I put it in my kitchen , great job , and those handles , simple but beautiful choice with the walnut , gives it a great look

LOL Thanks Brian. My wife wanted it in the kitchen as soon as she saw it.

The drawer fronts butt against the ends of the slides stopping the drawers.

@sorpa Thanks, I’m hoping it will be a useful addition.

Attachments:

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

LOL Thanks Brian. My wife wanted it in the kitchen as soon as she saw it.

The drawer fronts butt against the ends of the slides stopping the drawers.

Haha I don’t blame her ,
    Sorry Peter I should have been more clear I meant for pulling them out so they don’t slip out ,

Great job @smallerstick , it looks really nice.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I love the contrasting handles. Great touch Peter. That is one sweet cabinet. You have me thinking of making some drawers like that on an upcoming project versus the ball bearing slides I am used to.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Beautiful cabinet S Stick,, It should serve you well.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I meant for pulling them out so they don’t slip out ,

LOL, no, I don’t have stops there. I’m trying to think how I could do that, not a bad idea.

Great job @smallerstick , it looks really nice.

Thanks, Jim, I’m looking forward to the extra storage.

You have me thinking of making some drawers like that on an upcoming project versus the ball bearing slides I am used to.

For me, it was simple math. LV full extension slides at $22.50 a pair; even the bargain slides are 9 bucks. I don’t think I have that much in the lumber for the project.

Beautiful cabinet S Stick,, It should serve you well.

Thanks, Dirty, I appreciate that.

@smallerstick yes I see what you mean about not sure how to do that
    The ones I’ve seen have a small either wooden or nylon block at the top of the back of the drawer , it’s stopped by the frame of the top drawer ,
    I actually like the idea of your drawers , maximize the storage without loosing the frame around each drawer

Might be able to use a nylon strap screwed to the back frame and back to the back of the drawers
    But might be more complicated than need be LoL
    Guess I’m just wired that way lol.
    I better go eat some beef jerky LMAO

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I did get into the shop and made some shavings. I built a rack today for my turning tools. I drilled 1 3/8″ holes with a Forstner bit in a board then split it in 2 for the upper and lower tool holders. The bottom board is inclined to keep the tools from wandering side to side. There was some birds eye maple in my scrap bin, so I used that. It is birds eye but the background colour is definitely not prime for anything else. I’ll put some finish on it before hanging it.

Attachments:

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I did get into the shop and made some shavings. I built a rack today for my turning tools. I drilled 1 3/8″ holes with a Forstner bit in a board then split it in 2 for the upper and lower tool holders. The bottom board is inclined to keep the tools from wandering side to side. There was some birds eye maple in my scrap bin, so I used that. It is birds eye but the background colour is definitely not prime for anything else. I’ll put some finish on it before hanging it.

I have to do something similar because mines are all over the place.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have to do something similar because mines are all over the place.

I saw the concept over on the LJ forum and couldn’t resist. So simple. I have seen the same principle used on cabinets for fishing rods, guns, pool cues, anything that needs to be held upright (well, almost everything that needs to be upright lol). An easy build, I’m looking forward to using it.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I like how simple and elegant a solution that is. Did you come up with the design yourself?

Charlie

Instagram

Great idea Peter , I assume you will be hanging it up on the wall , you said turning tools , don’t you have a small lathe ?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I like how simple and elegant a solution that is. Did you come up with the design yourself?

When I googled to find some design ideas I was led to Lumberjocks forum and this one just jumped out. So user friendly and simple to put together.

@boschmanbrian Yes, I have a lathe that has been waiting patiently for me to start using. I hope to get it up and running very soon.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

When I googled to find some design ideas I was led to Lumberjacks forum and this one just jumped out. So user friendly and simple to put together.

The beauty of the internet 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I built a rack today for my turning tools. I

That came out very nice peter. I like the simplicity of design and construction.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Very nice storage solution.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

This is a CMS stand that I made after seeing one someplace (don’t remember exactly where I saw it).
    Basic stand but the shelf that the CMS sits on is free-floating with 4 bolts holding the shelf up and able to be adjusted so the CMS plate and the ‘wings’ are aligned correctly should something change when the cart is wheeled around from one place to another.
    First shot shows the stand with one of the wings extended, second shot shows the nut/bolt adjustment that can level out the CMS to match the wings.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

This is a CMS stand that I made after seeing one someplace (don’t remember exactly where I saw it).
    Basic stand but the shelf that the CMS sits on is free-floating with 4 bolts holding the shelf up and able to be adjusted so the CMS plate and the ‘wings’ are aligned correctly should something change when the cart is wheeled around from one place to another.
    First shot shows the stand with one of the wings extended, second shot shows the nut/bolt adjustment that can level out the CMS to match the wings.

What a unique approach to keeping everything in proper alignment. I like that very much. What size casters did you use? Are you finding it necessary to adjust the CMS level yet?

Viewing 20 posts - 801 through 820 (of 851 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.359 seconds