dcsimg

Workshop Functional Improvement Projects You Built.

This topic contains 788 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 7 hours, 5 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 789 total)
  • Author

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I just read thru the first two pages and this is one heck of a good thread.
    Already some great content in here.
    Lon’s miter saw station is just great. I am looking forward to a similar build.
    Maybe the dust extractor build in or just placed in the station would be a great solution too.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Here’s my miter station, tool chest, and cart for my benchtop planer. Also as simple clamp rack using pipe.

Very nice. I really like the cart for the bench top planer. This would be a great idea for my small shop. I also like the tool chest. Great work!

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Here’s my miter station, tool chest, and cart for my benchtop planer. Also as simple clamp rack using pipe.

The clamp rack is a very useful one, good work. I like the pipe idea, sturdy and easy to build.

How on earth do you keep your shop so neat and clean?

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I really like @doobies flooring hideaway, I wonder if that can be done on the ceiling, somehow have different compartments open and lower down for storage.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I really like @doobies flooring hideaway, I wonder if that can be done on the ceiling, somehow have different compartments open and lower down for storage.

It certainly can, I seen someone on the net, he made some sort of a box storage unit, it fits between the floor joists, pivotal to swing down and get to the content, and then swing back up and lock. You can make them in different lengths, but basically all the same width.

Neat is me. I like keeping things in order. It is not as clean as you think but I always sweep up whenever I do work out there. Good dust collection also.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Neat is me. I like keeping things in order. It is not as clean as you think but I always sweep up whenever I do work out there. Good dust collection also.

I am also like that. I just find it easier to work in a shop that is clean and neat. Constantly clearing off the workbench to do something or looking for tools just seems like a time waster to me.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I am also like that. I just find it easier to work in a shop that is clean and neat. Constantly clearing off the workbench to do something or looking for tools just seems like a time waster to me.

A clean shop is much easier to work out of. Drives me nuts to see mine dirty. Or to know a tool is not put back in it’s place. I sweep the floor, blow off tools and every thing is put up before leaving the shop.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

It certainly can, I seen someone on the net, he made some sort of a box storage unit, it fits between the floor joists, pivotal to swing down and get to the content, and then swing back up and lock. You can make them in different lengths, but basically all the same width.

do you remember where you saw this photo? I’d like to check it out, it’ll be good for the smaller consumables.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

do you remember where you saw this photo? I’d like to check it out, it’ll be good for the smaller consumables.

Check this out, I was doing a Google search, for storage space, in floor joints for my garage under the mezzanine

https://www.google.ca/search?q=storage+between+floor+joists&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=918&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8kJWPpsfRAhWE1CYKHQXNDG0QsAQIGQ#imgrc=T9FQSmAfAhl8nM%3A&mhpiv=7

Check one of the images, it’s a box pivoted on bolts threw the floor joists and using a cleat to lock it in position, you can always modify to suit your needs.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Check this out, I was doing a Google search, for storage space, in floor joints for my garage under the mezzanine

https://www.google.ca/search?q=storage+between+floor+joists&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=918&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8kJWPpsfRAhWE1CYKHQXNDG0QsAQIGQ#imgrc=T9FQSmAfAhl8nM%3A&mhpiv=7

Check one of the images, it’s a box pivoted on bolts threw the floor joists and using a cleat to lock it in position, you can always modify to suit your needs.

thanks, this is exactly what i was looking for. I’ll have to plan for it in the future.

Doobie
    Pro

Nice idea. I suppose one could call it Murphy Storage.

Clev08
    Pro

Made a little rack for my 3 cabinet clamps today. I cut channels for the bars to fit into.

Attachments:

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s super ingenious ..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Made a little rack for my 3 cabinet clamps today. I cut channels for the bars to fit into.

Very nice, I also like the Ford sign just above it 🙂

Doobie
    Pro

A clean shop is much easier to work out of. Drives me nuts to see mine dirty. Or to know a tool is not put back in it’s place. I sweep the floor, blow off tools and every thing is put up before leaving the shop.

I’m the same way. I clean and put things away once I’m finished with them as I move along. Especially at the end of a work day. Just doesn’t feel right otherwise. Not much different than how I deal with food prep in the kitchen I guess which mommy taught me to adopt as a good practice when I was a child.

Here’s my drill press add-on I built with onboard dedicated dust extraction.

That’s a sweet looking drilling set up.

Thanks Dirty! It has served me very well. I like Lon’s setup as well. Looks real pro and nicely finished just like the rest of the stuff he does for his shop. Real eye catchers!

I was going to make mine similar years ago, but especially for my paralel K-Body Bessey clamps, I discovered that a simple flat ledge worked just as well resting the face of the end piece on was a lot easier to make.

Here’s some shots of how I managed to line things up more effectively in my shop. Miter saw ‘floats’ so that I can move closer or further away from the wall to be able to use other machinery adjacent to it.

The longish table/work area also stores my lathe – which I never use – and is designed to flip forward for use. There’s also built in storage in its nesting area for lathe components.

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

Doobie wrote:

Thanks Dirty! It has served me very well. I like Lon’s setup as well. Looks real pro and nicely finished just like the rest of the stuff he does for his shop. Real eye catchers!

Thanks for your compliments Doobie. I appreciate it. I had a great mentor who helped me along on those builds.

Doobie
    Pro

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

Doobie wrote:

Thanks for your compliments Doobie. I appreciate it. I had a great mentor who helped me along on those builds.

No prob. Very nice work! 👌

By chance, is your mentor anybody I would know/recognize?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Oh man that is a great idea, Thank you for sharing that one.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX for that @boschmanbrian,
    I have thought of doing something like that in the ceiling of my furnace room/in house workshop but in my case there are too many wires that are in the way feeding back to the panel.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 789 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.728 seconds