dcsimg

Workshop Functional Improvement Projects You Built.

This topic contains 93 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kevin Doobie 1 day, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

We have a thread for “What did you do in the Workshop/Jobsite” currently in its 25th version…

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/v-25-what-did-you-do-in-the-shop-site-today/

… but we don’t have one dedicated to simply making self built improvements to your shop on its own.

I just thought that starting a dedicated thread to this area would be better as a ‘go-to’ resource as a standalone thread for shop improvement ideas rather than the aforementioned existing thread we throw those things in as they tend to get lost in that thread over time with all the other stuff we all post related to any work we’ve done on jobsites and in our shops which mostly tend to be work we do for others or that are not related to shop improvements in themselves.

So post your shop built improvements here in this thread.

Should this thread include making jigs and such? That’s a grey area imo. Use your own judgment whether it is an overall shop improvement or whether it belongs in our dedicated jig thread which can be found here….

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/jigs-and-fixtures/

I don’t think this should include things you buy and install like equipment and pre-made shelving/cabinetry unless it involves a fair degree of add-on build work to implement/install that makes it better than what it would be otherwise.

In a nutshell, things you’ve done to your shop to make it more efficient and better to work in the shop for the most part that you can’t buy off the shelf and especially that are unique solutions.

I have tons of older things I’ve done historically that I can dig up photos on my PC to show as well later when I have time. I’ve had to be very creative in how I built and set up my shop having only what is a one car garage space that has a 21′ X 11.5′ footprint.

I hope to add my own newly built first entry once I finish it today. This project has already been in progress. I’ve gotten rid of my old radial arm saw earlier this week and have prepped the area it occupied for a better work and storage area. The rebuild has been slowly transpiring in my head, and I’m about to break out the lumber and power up my saw.

Hope this thread helps us all to make our workshops more efficient and happier places to work in.

Kevin.

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

Great idea Kevin! I will be reading attentively and perhaps adding a few

Profile photo of Brian
    brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Great idea for a thread! I don’t have a workshop of my own right now, but hopefully can get some good ideas for when I do!

Gosh, you would have to go back to my video thread to watch the goings on. The next thing will be a drawer unit, similar to a bottom tool cabinet, built into the shelving unit I just made. That way all the tools can come out of the existing wheels tool chest and it can be sold. I guess the big tip is for small shops….storage and freeing up bits of floor space as much as you can. Even finding little bits here and there add up.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Profile photo of Greg
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Wow this a great idea. I hope can get few ideas from for my shop. It is my goal this year make my workshop more organized and user friendly. It has been something I have been trying to do for a couple years with no luck.

Thanks

Greg

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I like the idea! My shop is and probably always be a work in progress and I believe I’m not alone in that. It will be good to see ideas from others as well to plan future mods.

My shop recently underwent a major change with the addition of the new workbench to replace the old temporary dimension lumber bench. At he same time I added cabinets to hold the 12″ Glide, the OSS and another utility cabinet. The DC system was upgraded at the same time to manage the new tools. The 4″ PVC runs about 18″ above floor level along the wall behind the cabinets with a tee and a blast gate for each one. The surface of each tool also doubles as outfeed support for the others. A 16 x 20 shop is the biggest I have ever had but still needs to be efficient. Space is always a luxury.

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

My shop recently underwent a major change with the addition of the new workbench to replace the old temporary dimension lumber bench. At he same time I added cabinets to hold the 12″ Glide, the OSS and another utility cabinet. The DC system was upgraded at the same time to manage the new tools. The 4″ PVC runs about 18″ above floor level along the wall behind the cabinets with a tee and a blast gate for each one. The surface of each tool also doubles as outfeed support for the others.

@smallerstick,
    It looks like you have made great use of the space you have.
    Looking at your pictures, I don’t see where you have mounted the DC Unit? Last I saw it , it was neatly packed in the back of your car.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

My shop recently underwent a major change with the addition of the new workbench to replace the old temporary dimension lumber bench. At he same time I added cabinets to hold the 12″ Glide, the OSS and another utility cabinet. The DC system was upgraded at the same time to manage the new tools. The 4″ PVC runs about 18″ above floor level along the wall behind the cabinets with a tee and a blast gate for each one. The surface of each tool also doubles as outfeed support for the others.

@smallerstick,
    Looking at your pictures, I don’t see where you have mounted the DC Unit? Last I saw it , it was neatly packed in the back of your car.

LOL it’s actually in the shop now. I have it located in the back corner to the right of the pics above. The ductwork goes behind the DP and the router table to the DC itself. The other branch serves the Band saw, Jointer, table saw and planer as well as the flex hose for the sander over the assembly/outfeed table. The 2 branches tee just behind the Thein separator

Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of Austin
    Clev08
    Pro

@smallerstick,

LOL it’s actually in the shop now. I have it located in the back corner to the right of the pics above. The ductwork goes behind the DP and the router table to the DC itself. The other branch serves the Band saw, Jointer, table saw and planer as well as the flex hose for the sander over the assembly/outfeed table. The 2 branches tee just behind the Thein separator

do you have any hanging storage for wood or is it all on that wall?

Profile photo of Alex
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Great idea for a thread.

I like the idea! My shop is and probably always be a work in progress and I believe I’m not alone in that.

I’d have to say every shop is a work I progress. If your shop isn’t changing, your not learning – and no one knows everything 😉

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

@smallerstick,

do you have any hanging storage for wood or is it all on that wall?

There are a bunch of offcuts and various other scraps ferreted away under the assembly table, on the extension table of the saw, leaning up against walls, surrounding the base of the drill press and more in another lumber rack outside in the shed. A total mess! What’s on the wall there is the only semblance of organization in the whole shop.

Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Great new thread!

I’d say 90% of my shop improvements have been storage related. I’ve added drawers on my assembly table, built a router bit box that is attached to the side of my router table, a cabinet that my drill press sits on…tons of jigs. I’ll have to dig up some pictures!

Jon P.
    Walnut Builders, LLC

https://www.facebook.com/WalnutBuilders

Oh wow, this right up my alley. Here’s pictures of a storage workbench I built.

Here is a drill press cart (on casters) that slides in under the drill press table. It is so nice to have everything drilling right there in the drawers or side storage.

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

primarily i have my own version of a mft that i build about a year and a half ago now i guess

it was meant to take on site for trim installs but has taken permanent residents at home

not shown is the top which is mdf with 7/8 holes drilled in it for parf dogs and clamping

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Great idea for a thread. This is great to get ideas for a future shop.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

This has been our best shop improvement. Permanent miter saw station with tons of storage. I would like to add drawers and get some of our shop nailers out of their cases.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Overhead air and outlets close by are another good improvement we did. Our table saw and outfeed serve as our main work area and we often setup my cut table for a secondary work surface.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Wow overanalyze that a beautiful shop.. If I had a shop like that I would use it as my dog house. A few potted plants and it would be like home.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I hope to add my own newly built first entry once I finish it today.

Got started on it, then wifey grabbed me to put all the Christmas stuff away and I never got back to it yesterday. Today I had appointments and office work all day and I likely will not get back to it til tomorrow.

That’s OK sometimes getting sidetracked. I came up with some changes in my head I want to implement now.

At least I got some painted maple slabs stripped for the work surface that will be part of this improvement job. That made a heck of a mess. Tore two belts in the process.

The table will be installed as a built-in, but I need to make it removable also for a variety of reasons when needed.

Kevin.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 94 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.166 seconds