dcsimg

Working on restoring an old Craftsman Block Grinder. Hit a snag…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Model 397.19590, build date of Sept. 20, 2965, by Delco, a division of General Motors.

Before

partially done

I had to replace the capacitor as it was leaking and during disassembly both connector tabs snapped off. Before I tore it down it worked but I had to spin the wheels to get it going, otherwise the motor just hummed(a normal indicator of capacitor problems).

Today I got the basic grinder, sans guards and rest put together. When I first put the motor together, I fired it up to test my wiring and it seemed to work. I installed the new capacitor and replaced a baby blue wire leading from the power switch to the windings as it had gotten pinched and the insulation was badly damaged. Used a 14ga piece of the same color wire that appears to be the same size internally as what came out, I couldn’t find markings on the original wire to verify size. I soldered the wire to the windings and connected a spade plug to the switch end.

Once I got it assembled with wheels on, I tried starting it and it had the same problem as before. When first turned on, the wheels creep backwards a little. Once you spin then up to sufficient speed the motor starts to spin them up to speed.

After that I pulled the bottom cover of and verified all the wires were properly connected, which they were according to the wiring diagram on the bottom cover. I also noticed that the motor itself was pretty warm when I had the cover off. I’m wondering it I’ve got a bad connection on one end or the other of the baby blue wire or if I need to be looking elsewhere?

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The grinder looking good. Looks like there’s a lot of work there.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Nice job on the restoration. I wonder if you got the wrong capacitor?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

It does sound like the capacitor. Nice job on the resto

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sounds like the capacitor to me as well. They help with start up speed. Perhaps the one you bought is bad?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I know nothing about how tools work so i will be of no help. But i will follow this as I have an OLD home built drill press I would like to get running again. Looking great so far

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice old grinder Dustin. Came out looking really good.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.414 seconds