dcsimg

Work Socks

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 125 total)
  • Author

I wear cotton gold toe socks. I try to find a sale and then buy about a dozed of the same kind. That way as they wear out and get holes in them I just toss the offending sock and don’t lose the whole pair.

I knew a guy who used to wear two pairs of socks (one on top of the other) at all times. He swore by it, and I gave him heck about it. You know I never did try to see if there was something to it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Can you elaborate on what kapu means…?

Kapu
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Kapu refers to the ancient Hawaiian code of conduct of laws and regulations. The kapu system was universal in lifestyle, gender roles, politics, religion, etc. An offense that was kapu was often a corporal offense, but also often denoted a threat to spiritual power, or theft of mana. Kapus were strictly enforced. Breaking one, even unintentionally, often meant immediate death,[1] Koʻo kapu. The concept is related to taboo and the tapu or tabu found in other Polynesian cultures. The Hawaiian word kapu is usually translated to English as “forbidden”, though it also carries the meanings of “sacred”, “consecrated”, or “holy”.

As these examples might suggest, the sense of the term in Polynesia carries connotations of sacredness as much as forbiddenness. Probably the best way to translate
    From…..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapu

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Eric,
    I used to wear two pair of socks at a time. I started doing it because I couldn’t find shoes quite small enough. I needed one 1/4 of size. If they were cotton they didn’t overheat my feet and actually helped in the winter with warmth. They helped with cushioning a bunch. I have stopped but now I think I will start again.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I have continued my sock research with some help from my friend that works at a shoe store. I am wearing Fits brand marino wool sock today that fit amazingly well. They feature a “heel nipple” that keeps your foot well positioned in the sock and subsequently in the shoe. I am concerned about durability but I will keep you posted.

Also received those tough socks this weekend so I will wear them tomorrow and report back.

I am still sticking to my story: I love my darn tough socks and got my wife 4 more pairs yesterday. Granted, she is not working on a job site (she is a teacher) – but I know they will hold up to everyday wear.

John S

woodman_412

I usually buy my socks from Marks Work Warehouse and they seem to work pretty good for me. The problem that I’ve had lately is my big toe poking through my socks. I think it’s a combo of forcing my foot into my work boots (which I try not to do anymore) and my toenail getting too long and sharp. I’m trying to eliminate both of those problems and see where that gets me.

Dan

danpattison.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

That problem is why I typically wear tube socks. If I get a hole in a especially irritating spot I turn them 90 or 180 degrees next time I put them on and no more irritation. That and the fact that most fitted socks don’t fit me. That is why 95% of my socks come without heels.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Awesome Lon! I hope they don’t disappoint!

Do you guys wash and air dry your wool socks or dry them as well?

I treat them just like any other sock and wash and dry them in the machine.

I must admit I really like the look of the Darn Tough socks too (pictured)

Received my latest Duluth Trading catalog today and they have all kinds of work socks including ‘No Itch” Merino wool. It’s worth checking out.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I saw some nice thick socks at costo a few days ago .12 pairs for 15 bucks . I will get some next time I go there and try them out .

Oh wow John that is a great deal. Especially when one pair of darn tough is $15 🙂

And Lon – the darn tough has 0 itch to it…

Jason- I have the athletic sock version of what you have – ankle height or whatever… Love them.

John S

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Oh wow John that is a great deal. Especially when one pair of darn tough is $15 :)
    <P></P>
    <P>And Lon – the darn tough has 0 itch to it…</P>
    <P>Jason- I have the athletic sock version of what you have – ankle height or whatever… Love them.</P>

Ya these socks were pretty durable looking and not realyl thick so you probably won,t sweat in them as much .

Attachments:
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Any time you can get a good looking sock for around a buck you are probably coming out ahead.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I buy my socks at Costco the only thing is they are a bit hot.

I buy my socks at Costco the only thing is they are a bit hot.

To all of those here who just heard Dirty, keep in mind he is from HAWAII 🙂 That being said, us ‘northerners’ need to read his comment accordingly. Thanks 🙂

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I am now 75% converted to marino wool socks right now. Even today when its 50 degrees out I had wool in the Keens.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I just picked up 3 pair of CAT socks and a hat at my local agway today for $20. They seem to have them around the holidays. I pick one up every year and the socks hold up pretty well.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Socks make good “Dad Gifts” at Christmas. So the retailers have them out. It makes it a really good time to pick up socks ……… and ties.

Who is buying ties today?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Who is buying ties today?

I try to wear a tie less than once a year if possible. I have switched to just using my chest hair as a tie.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.696 seconds