dcsimg

Words of wisdom for young folks in the trades

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

My dad would tell me to always do the best at everything I did, no matter how small the task, except for mixing/slinging mortar. He said if you were too good at mixing mud, the Mason’s wouldn’t teach you anything else and you would always be a mud slinger.

I guess that was pretty good advice . I don’t want anything to do with cement. It is all hard work in my eyes.

Clev08
    Pro

Learn to make your work count. If you have to get something from your truck when working in a basement dont go to the truck empty handed. Take something that has to go back or some trash out with you to save trips later.

You and my dad would get along great… He’s always telling me that!

Make yourself useful. Jump in and help do what needs done .

Get out of the vehicle putting on a tool belt . (that’s the vehicle you showed up on time in.) Leave the energy drink in the car.

Wear a tape measure like its part of your body .

Pay attention. Be engaged in what is happening . For one, it is safer . Two, pros work fast….we need that board , tile or whatever now …and another . We need you mentally here, not just a body. The people that go places in life are the ones that pay attention.

Cell phone or job: you decide.

Learn the art of having a cool head .

Protect your employer ….don’t create liability. Be clean, helpful and service oriented . show respect for the equipment , the fellow workers , the client and their property. If the paint is the wrong kind, and the client gets irate, just say , Mam, please don’t worry at all….my boss will get this worked out just fine .

Dont promise a client something if you aren’t 100 percent sure it can be done. It’s better to say ..I ll report we need a dumpster rather than “this trash WILL BE gone today”, if it can’t .

Help. Help unload, clean up, load up..whatever . if you are a helper, help. Furthermore, be the best helper on the job. Make guys go to the boss and say “give me this kid every day.”

Don’t blow ALL the money we help you make . But a few good hand tools, some sturdy clothes, a thermos . Investing a little in your occupation shows us something.

Have some faith . it’s a huge, lifelong learning curve out here ….and peoples homes and remodels aren’t going to be Made in China…this is a good industry. We better peoples lives, property values and safeguard them .

At the end of the day, say this : Hey Boss, thank you . where do I need to be and when in the morning , and is there anything special I need ? He’ ll appreciate that,he or she has a lot on their mind.

Welcome aboard,
    Andy

This one right here…excellent advise for new hires in this industry!!

A helper should always be watching, absorbing info, learning to predict what tools will be needed next and get them!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Make yourself useful. Jump in and help do what needs done .

Get out of the vehicle putting on a tool belt . (that’s the vehicle you showed up on time in.) Leave the energy drink in the car.

Wear a tape measure like its part of your body .

Pay attention. Be engaged in what is happening . For one, it is safer . Two, pros work fast….we need that board , tile or whatever now …and another . We need you mentally here, not just a body. The people that go places in life are the ones that pay attention.

Cell phone or job: you decide.

Learn the art of having a cool head .

Protect your employer ….don’t create liability. Be clean, helpful and service oriented . show respect for the equipment , the fellow workers , the client and their property. If the paint is the wrong kind, and the client gets irate, just say , Mam, please don’t worry at all….my boss will get this worked out just fine .

Dont promise a client something if you aren’t 100 percent sure it can be done. It’s better to say ..I ll report we need a dumpster rather than “this trash WILL BE gone today”, if it can’t .

Help. Help unload, clean up, load up..whatever . if you are a helper, help. Furthermore, be the best helper on the job. Make guys go to the boss and say “give me this kid every day.”

Don’t blow ALL the money we help you make . But a few good hand tools, some sturdy clothes, a thermos . Investing a little in your occupation shows us something.

Have some faith . it’s a huge, lifelong learning curve out here ….and peoples homes and remodels aren’t going to be Made in China…this is a good industry. We better peoples lives, property values and safeguard them .

At the end of the day, say this : Hey Boss, thank you . where do I need to be and when in the morning , and is there anything special I need ? He’ ll appreciate that,he or she has a lot on their mind.

Welcome aboard,
    Andy

This one right here…excellent advise for new hires in this industry!!

A helper should always be watching, absorbing info, learning to predict what tools will be needed next and get them!

I remember this one, and it is among the best. Your right OV, look and learn and then look what will be needed.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I started in construction several years before I married, an older man told me to ” buy tools now while you can, and buy the best you can afford”.

AndyG
    Pro

Never say “that’s not my job.” Anything is your job that helps your company finish and collect money . Clean up continually , if it’s laying around , straighten it up , if it’s dirty, clean it . If it’s too small too pick up , vacuum it .

Don’t sit tools on stone countertops or lean things on cabinets . Strive to leave no sign you ‘ve been there , except leave it better than you found it .

Never touch a clients tools or personal property . If a necklace is laid out , say “mam,can you please put that somewhere safe, so it doesn’t get lost.” (don’t say stolen).

Keep it professional, clients don’t need to know anything about your past relationships, jobs, addictions or current medications or issues ….what they want is you being there to work .

Every word you utter carries weight .. Learn to say yes, sir no sir , excellent, that looks good, perfect, awesome and nail it . The job language tone has to be positive all the time ….people are listening to see if things are going well and if you have it under control.

Never miss work without advance notice …in my company, if you contribute so little it doesn’t matter if you show up, we see to it that you can be off work every day .

The best way to make more money is to increase your value … You can’t do that with words…it takes a great attitude, hustle, being great to work with and getting a lot done .. That works.

All the best..Andy

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Don’t be afraid to ask questions… But also learn when to shut up and pay attention.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Always wear a respirator rated for fine silica dust when cutting concrete/masonry or around silica particulate in the air.
    “Silicosis is a lung disease caused by breathing in tiny bits of silica, a mineral that is part of sand, rock, and mineral ores such as quartz”.
    – American Lung Association

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Always wear a respirator rated for fine silica dust when cutting concrete/masonry or around silica particulate in the air.
    “Silicosis is a lung disease caused by breathing in tiny bits of silica, a mineral that is part of sand, rock, and mineral ores such as quartz”.
    – American Lung Association

This is one that I know is over looked all the time. Most young people in the trades don’t have any info on Silicosis.

Clev08
    Pro

I started in construction several years before I married, an older man told me to ” buy tools now while you can, and buy the best you can afford”.

Words of wisdom! My tool budget has taken a big hit since I got engaged…

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

My dad would tell me to always do the best at everything I did, no matter how small the task, except for mixing/slinging mortar. He said if you were too good at mixing mud, the Mason’s wouldn’t teach you anything else and you would always be a mud slinger.

Great advice. My dad was a bricklayer most of his life and tried very hard to steer me into carpentry/framer. As a teen he even dragged me into the local carpenters union office to put my name on the wait list.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

AndyG
    Pro

That’s a drug problem… You were drug to work!

lulu
    Pro

Stay focused and alert. Always pay attention not only to the task at hand but to your surroundings.

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

Clev08
    Pro

Drywall guy at kitchen remodel probably spent more time on his phone texting/changing the song than he did working today, I should print this thread off and give it to him tomorrow

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

There is a time and a place to learn new skills. Dont take on something too far out of your comfort zone all at once.

Also with the internet and these forums, dont get cocky or complacent learn completely and thoroughly. I find myself picking useful tips all the time to things I once thought I already knew well.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

AndyG
    Pro

A real pro never lets up.

Stilla
    Pro

My advise, be loyal to your employer.

Definition:
    Giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution.

If you can’t, find a job were you can. Not all employers deserve employees protect yourself.

I you are a good employer and your employees can’t be loyal get ones who can be.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

My advise, be loyal to your employer.

I like that one but I’d say be loyal to your family first.

This has been a great read.
    See, I read it and I have been at this stuff for over 20 years.

I won’t go over the answers already shared, which were great.

Old Jim used to tell me these wise words….

“You’re at work, put your bags on. I don’t care if you’re just toting. Somebody may need you at a moment’s notice.”

“Don’t ever go back to the lumber stack for just one stud.”

“More like a stack, less like a pile”.

“Relieve the burden. That’s your only job.”

I was so inquisitive as a helper it was annoying. I wanted to know how it all went together and why. When I was framing, my lead man called me gnat instead of Matt for 2 years.

Look to these older guys and be respectful. They are sharing with you. Sharing what they sweated and bled to learn over years. They are helping you put food on your table.

Make everything level, plumb, & square.

I'm the only person I ever hit in the head with a hammer.

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.465 seconds