dcsimg

Woodworking videos

This topic contains 1,001 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  madman_us 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,002 total)
  • Author

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I watch quite a few woodworking videos on youtube – The Wood whisperer, woodwork web, and a couple others. I was browsing through youtube and started watching these Japanese woodworking videos and now I am addicted to them….

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

Have you tried the Woodworkers Guild of America with George Von Driska?

http://www.wwgoa.com

Fine Woodworking mag has a lot too.

By the way, thanks for the link.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Yeah, I watch their videos too. I have 11 different woodworking channels I am subscribed to on youtube.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Do they own power tools?

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Do they own power tools?

I would assume so… I just like to watch traditional woodworking videos; watching him work on the floor like that really makes the design of the pull cut style of Japanese saws and planes.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Ilike that video. It is amazing to see how effortlessly they work the hand tools. I envy that ability to work without power tools.0

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I wonder what kind of wood they use, it seems to cut easily

staker
    Pro

I don’t think I could work on the floor would have a hard time getting up. It is amazing how they are not in a big rush, over here it’s all about quickness to save dollars.

Got to love using her leg as a clamp to hold work from moving.

Always willing to learn .

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Steve Ramsey has some pretty good woodworking videos online .
    https://www.youtube.com/user/stevinmarin

Anonymous

I don’t think I could work on the floor would have a hard time getting up. It is amazing how they are not in a big rush, over here it’s all about quickness to save dollars.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ug_1KJDsPwk?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Now that’s some quality craftsmanship right there, Notice how she pulls the plane at an angle to get the slicing affect? She knows what she’s doing, But she talks funny

redwood
    Pro

I know that Japan used to import a lot of redwood, which would be pretty easy to work with.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

staker
    Pro

And I think pulling is easier than pushing the planes, same with their saws.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

And I think pulling is easier than pushing the planes, same with their saws.

I have Japanese style saws and a couple planes – cutting on a pull stroke is a lot easier than cutting on the push stroke. I imagine they developed that method because they do so much of their work on the floor – a push cut hand saw would be tough while sitting.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

staker
    Pro

I’ve been looking at the saws on lee valley and will get one soon, but i don’t think I ever seen a pull plane for sale. Where did you find yours Chad?

I commented on FOG a few days ago about a similar video being shown. These craftsman are unbelievable and it begs to show how a Pagoda in Japan, in a humid area, made of wood, can stand for over a THOUSAND years. Simply amazing.

I think that the first several years of an apprenticeship is spent sharpening until you get it perfect. They can do some amazing things with a few hand tools and the way they hold work. Cool stuff to watch.

Orange County, CA

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I’ve been looking at the saws on lee valley and will get one soon, but i don’t think I ever seen a pull plane for sale. Where did you find yours Chad?

Amazon has a decent selection, so do these guys: http://www.hidatool.com/woodworking/planes

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

jeesh guys now im going to spend the next few weeks watching videos

Only been for the last 6 months or so that I started to look at these videos. They are unreal. To be young enough and be able to be trained , what talent.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,002 total)

The topic ‘Woodworking videos’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 5.277 seconds