dcsimg

Woodworking Videos Part III

Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 1,141 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

How To Clean Glue Squeeze-Out

If you’re putting woodworking projects together, you’re going to get squeeze out. It’s nearly impossible to avoid. And, for the most part, you don’t want to avoid it. A little glue coming out of the joint provides some reassurance that you have enough glue IN the joint. The question is, what do you do with squeeze out?

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/clean-glue-squeeze-out-014840/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=A6134&vsoid=A6134

With any critical glueups I like to use painters tape right at the margins of the glue line. Any squeezeout stays on the tape and can be lifted off very easily. I almost never use water or even a damp cloth.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

With any critical glueups I like to use painters tape right at the margins of the glue line.

This is a great tip. I have used it a few times myself.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

With any critical glueups I like to use painters tape right at the margins of the glue line.

This is a great tip. I have used it a few times myself.

This tip is especially useful when gluing up corners I’ve found. The inside corner of a drawer/carcass is really tough to get a chisel down into effectively, so the tape method works really well there. One other thing I’ve found is it’s better to remove the tape right away once your clamps are set rather than wait for the glue to tack up.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I really like this outfeed table.

Doobie

If you’re putting woodworking projects together, you’re going to get squeeze out. It’s nearly impossible to avoid. And, for the most part, you don’t want to avoid it. A little glue coming out of the joint provides some reassurance that you have enough glue IN the joint. The question is, what do you do with squeeze out?

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/clean-glue-squeeze-out-014840/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=A6134&vsoid=A6134

With any critical glueups I like to use painters tape right at the margins of the glue line. Any squeezeout stays on the tape and can be lifted off very easily. I almost never use water or even a damp cloth.

Using the blue or green painters tape, or that frog tape stuff?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Using the blue or green painters tape, or that frog tape stuff?

Whatever I can lay my hand on at the time. It doesn’t stay on long enough to really make a difference IMO. I have never used any of the high priced tape; I haven’t seen the need for any of it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I really like this outfeed table.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/mHJEpsFg17U?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I like the looks of this table. I just wonder the way it was put together. If it will last.

Greg

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vtp0S-MseJM?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

He makes it look so easy and, thinking about the process, it makes such good sense. Simple tools and a lot of skill and patience.

Thanks for sharing.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Not for everyone, but a fine way to test your patience.
    His editing style is really superb IMO.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Simple Trick for Dispensing Mineral Oil on Wood

Why put mineral oil on wood? The biggest reason is that it’s an excellent food-safe finish. For many woodworkers, mineral oil is the go-to sealer for cutting boards and wooden kitchen utensils; anything that may come in contact with food. It’s so easy to apply, easy to get (any pharmacy will have it, or you can order it here), and it works great.

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/mineral-oil-on-wood-013223/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=A6134&vsoid=A6134

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Why put mineral oil on wood? The biggest reason is that it’s an excellent food-safe finish. For many woodworkers, mineral oil is the go-to sealer for cutting boards and wooden kitchen utensils; anything that may come in contact with food. It’s so easy to apply, easy to get (any pharmacy will have it, or you can order it here), and it works great.

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/mineral-oil-on-wood-013223/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=A6134&vsoid=A6134

That’s what I use on cutting boards. I just don’t re-apply often enough.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It’s the most popular finish for cutting boards and the cheapest but it’s by far not the best. It never dries and offers minimal protection for the surface. Hemp oil or walnut oil are much better alternatives IMO. At least they dry to a lustrous finish.

Doobie

Hemp oil or walnut oil are much better alternatives IMO. At least they dry to a lustrous finish.

I should look into those. Do you know good places to buy either of those?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Hemp oil or walnut oil are much better alternatives IMO. At least they dry to a lustrous finish.

I should look into those. Do you know good places to buy either of those?

I get mine at a local health food store. I know Bulk Barn has them as well.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Peter do you put straight oil on cutting boards or do mix oil with beeswax?

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Peter do you put straight oil on cutting boards or do mix oil with beeswax?

I have used them both ways but I prefer using just straight oil. They both do very well in the summer just flooding with oil and putting them out in the sun to dry.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I use linseed oil, the colourless version sold by Ikea.

Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 1,141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.284 seconds