dcsimg

Woodworking Seminars

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

I used to teach woodworking seminars at Lee Valley 10 years ago and now that we’re living closer I’m going to start teaching there again. I met with the seminar coordinator tonight and we roughed out a couple seminars for the fall schedule. One is going to be on cabinet hardware installation which will be a lecture and demo style. The other one will be working with sheet goods and how to use a track saw to do it efficiently. It will be a lecture/demo style with a hands on component too. I’ve always enjoyed teaching and this is a great outlet to do that. I think the track saw sheet goods one will be fun to do.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Congrats on getting back to doing seminars , How many people do you usually teach at a time ?

woodman_412

Congrats on getting back to doing seminars , How many people do you usually teach at a time ?

Usually there are 10-12 people in a class John depending on what type of class it is.

Dan

danpattison.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That’s awesome Dan! My local Woodcraft does classes every so often that I would love to sign up for…but unfortunately “local” means 90 minutes away.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

Good for you Dan! Seeing as it’s LV, I assume everything used will be Festool gear?

Congrats Dan. Always good to get back to something that you really enjoy.

I wish we could all attend @woodman_412. It would be a nice session I am sure as you would be a great teacher. Do you get paid well for this? If you are like me, you would spend it there at Lee Valley.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That’s awesome, I take courses every so often at leevalley. So far my favorite one was making a archery bow.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s great news. Teaching something you love to do is always great funn.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dan good news for sure. Sounds like a fun deal.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I always look at the seminars at the Woodcraft near me (50 Miles) I have been tempted to take a couple of their classes. I looked at a pen class not to long ago, but the date did not work and also sketch up classes. The one around here have great facilities

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I always look at the seminars at the Woodcraft near me

The sketchup class would be worth it. I have tried several times to play around with it and figure it out but no real luck. Nothing like a class to show you the basics so you can then begin to experiment with it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

<P>I always look at the seminars at the Woodcraft near me </P>

<P>The sketchup class would be worth it. I have tried several times to play around with it and figure it out but no real luck. Nothing like a class to show you the basics so you can then begin to experiment with it. </P>

Well you are in luck, there is a website with a ton of tutorials for starting to use sketchup. I have watched a couple and they are really useful. The videos are free but they also take donations so it is up to you.

http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

@woodman_412
    that is very exciting about you teaching at Lee Valley. I would consider coming but it is a long trip out from BC haha. I have been meaning to try and get to some of my local Lee Valley classes, but often it seems the ones I want to take are on weekdays and by the time I take a day off work and lose a days pay, it makes them too expensive for me.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Well you are in luck, there is a website with a ton of tutorials for starting to use sketchup. I have watched a couple and they are really useful. The videos are free but they also take donations so it is up to you.

http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

Thanks! That’s super helpful…I’ve tried Sketchup a number of times but haven’t gotten a good handle on it. In school I took several CAD and drafting classes where we used similar programs ( come to find out it costs $5-6k for a license!). Since then I haven’t used it much, so I’ve forgotten it.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

woodman_412

Good for you Dan! Seeing as it’s LV, I assume everything used will be Festool gear?

Yeah I’ll be using all Festool gear from the showroom to do my demos. It will be cool to get to try out all the Festool stuff since I haven’t had much chance to use Festool before.

It would be a nice session I am sure as you would be a great teacher. Do you get paid well for this? If you are like me, you would spend it there at Lee Valley.

Thanks Lon. The pay is pretty good and is on par with what I charge myself out at to do work. It will be very tempting to spend what I make before I leave…when I used to work there some pay checks I pretty much did 🙂

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

Yeah I’ll be using all Festool gear from the showroom to do my demos. It will be cool to get to try out all the Festool stuff since I haven’t had much chance to use Festool before.

What kind/brand of track saw do you have yourself Dan?

woodman_412

I have the Makita Kevin. I’ve been really happy with it and I got it on sale when I bought it so it was significantly cheaper than the Festool. I’ll be interested to see what my thoughts are on the Festool after playing around with it for the seminar.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

I have the Makita Kevin. I’ve been really happy with it and I got it on sale when I bought it so it was significantly cheaper than the Festool. I’ll be interested to see what my thoughts are on the Festool after playing around with it for the seminar.

That’s the one I would have went for if it were not the Festool myself. I went Festool simply because I was already into it with other stuff and wanted to expand on the system and not have the conflict with the slightly different tracks.

There were just a couple of different things that the Makita tracks wouldn’t allow to be used with Festool things – can’t recall what they were exactly – but it is what swung me over to the Festool despite the higher pricing.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I want to take the make a hand plane course at leevaley.

Which leevalley will you ve teaching at?

Doobie

I want to take the make a hand plane course at leevaley.

Which leevalley will you ve teaching at?

Dan’s in the Maritimes. Nova Scotia I think.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.305 seconds