dcsimg

Woodworking Projects V 3.0

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I made a cutting board last week using Ash & Cherry wood with a mineral oil beeswax finish.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I made a cutting board last week using Ash & Cherry wood with a mineral oil beeswax finish.

What a classic combination of woods. Love it.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Wow looks good , obviously that’s gotta be food safe finished , what would you recommend for my cutting board , I sanded it down , but not sure of what to use that’s safe for food /kitchen , and don’t feel like redoing it every couple of months 🤷

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

what would you recommend for my cutting board

My personal favourite is bees wax, thin it down anywhere between 10 to 25 percent with mineral oil. I use a coffee cup warmer to melt the wax into the oil. Both products are food safe. Bees wax, found with honey in the hive and mineral oil, which can be found in the laxative department at the pharmacy. It makes a nice soft wax that is really easy to apply.

what would you recommend for my cutting board

My personal favourite is bees wax, thin it down anywhere between 10 to 25 percent with mineral oil. I use a coffee cup warmer to melt the wax into the oil. Both products are food safe. Bees wax, found with honey in the hive and mineral oil, which can be found in the laxative department at the pharmacy. It makes a nice soft wax that is really easy to apply.

Thank you Jim , how many coats , or just one , and do I have to let it dry overnight or something.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Thank you Jim , how many coats , or just one , and do I have to let it dry overnight or something.

It’s kind of like waxing your regular furniture. The first coat may be left for an hour or so to soak in, then buffed, then another coat. After that, just apply as needed. Wipe on, let dry 10 minutes, buff. How often you need it depends on how often you use the board and how you treat it. Don’t let them sit in water. Don’t put them in a dish washer. You clean it like normal dishes, dry it, then set it on end to completely dry. You may get away with reapplying every 6 months, it may only be 1 month. Make up a batch the size of a small baby food jar and it will probably last you years. There are people who make it and sell it, Board Butter, Butcher Block treatment, and a whole bunch of other names.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

@boschmanbrian

For all my cutting boards I use lin seed oil from ikea.

Thank you @JimDaddyO and @sorpa , great info , I’ll definitely check it out
    Might just buy it ready for use , thanks again guys

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

@boschmanbrian

Maple with some black walnut stripes.
    The linseed bottle is on the table. Around $11.

Attachments:

@sorpa thanks for the info , I’ll try to take a picture, and I’ll go buy some , that is a beautiful board 👍

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

@Doobie or @RonW I posted here and didn’t posted. I tried it again still nothing.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

What a classic combination of woods. Love it.

Thanks Jim! It was planned this way. I was planning using maple with the cherry. I didn’t have any maple.

@boschmanbrian

Thanks! Yes it is a food safe finish! Look it up mineral oil & bees wax. I have been using it for years. I make mine similar to what Jim mentioned. I haven’t made any in a while. I apply it to cutting boards as needed. Maybe once or twice a year.

Greg

Thanks! Yes it is a food safe finish! Look it up mineral oil & bees wax. I have been using it for years. I make mine similar to what Jim mentioned. I haven’t made any in a while. I apply it to cutting boards as needed. Maybe once or twice a year.

If you don’t want to make your own, I have found that George’s Club House wax at Woodcraft is a inexpensive and great Beeswax/Mineral oil finish. I use it all the time.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

If you don’t want to make your own, I have found that George’s Club House wax at Woodcraft is a inexpensive and great Beeswax/Mineral oil finish. I use it all the time.

Thanks! I don’t think we have a Woodcraft up here. I do know we can get Clapman’s Salad Bowl finish up. I thought about giving it a try. I have saw it at our local hardware store.

Greg

Doobie

Thanks! I don’t think we have a Woodcraft up here. I do know we can get Clapman’s Salad Bowl finish up. I thought about giving it a try. I have saw it at our local hardware store.

Atlas carries Odie’s now. Never tried it, but it looks to be one of those really superior finishing product companies.

https://www.atlas-machinery.com/searchresults/search-results/?search_query=odies+oil#?keywords=odies+oil&search_return=all&Brand=Odies+Oil

Then there is Hemp Oil you may want to try also.

https://www.homesteadhouse.ca/products/finishes/hemp-oil-finishing.html

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

That Odies oil is on the expensive side.
    55$ + tax + shipping for 260ml. I’ll stick with the ikea oil.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Build A Traditional Sawbench for Hand Tool Woodworking

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Traditional Sawbench

One of the handyest things I ever made. I made 2 of them. Not the design Chris shows but I would recommend everyone make a set. The perfect height to work on. Much better than saw horses.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Traditional Sawbench

One of the handyest things I ever made. I made 2 of them. Not the design Chris shows but I would recommend everyone make a set. The perfect height to work on. Much better than saw horses.

Never made one of those. But I bought one.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.638 seconds