dcsimg

Woodworking Projects V 3.0

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • Author

My daughter is now in college and has joined a sorority. when she was home at Thanksgiving she bought a paddle blank and painted one for her little sister in the house. I brought out my old fraternity paddle and she thought it was pretty cool. She said she wished her big had gotten her one.

I ordered the stickers for her house on line and made the paddle in my shop. I stained it and put several coats of lacquer on it to get it real smooth then applied the stickers. I then put 3 or 4 more coats of lacquer over the stickers to seal them permanently in place.

I gave it to her at Christmas and it was one of her favorite presents.

Here it is along side my old fraternity paddle.

Wow that is so cool , beautiful gift , definitely a keep sake ,
    The other post just above for your auction , that fetched a nice amount for the auction , congrats Kurt.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

My daughter is now in college and has joined a sorority. when she was home at Thanksgiving she bought a paddle blank and painted one for her little sister in the house. I brought out my old fraternity paddle and she thought it was pretty cool. She said she wished her big had gotten her one.

I ordered the stickers for her house on line and made the paddle in my shop. I stained it and put several coats of lacquer on it to get it real smooth then applied the stickers. I then put 3 or 4 more coats of lacquer over the stickers to seal them permanently in place.

I gave it to her at Christmas and it was one of her favorite presents.

Here it is along side my old fraternity paddle.

Looking good.
    Is that a cricket paddle?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

@sorpa We always called them pledge paddles as way back in the day, they were used to paddle pledges. My time was 35+ years ago and they were more symbolic already then.

If you remember the lines from “Animal House” (Wack) “Thank you sir, may I have another?” you will get the idea.

With all the issues and focus on anti-hazing anymore, they are purely symbolic and items relegated to decorating a door knob or a shelf.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

WTF ? Another one of my posts just disappeared,,wanted to quote Kurt

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

@sorpa We always called them pledge paddles as way back in the day, they were used to paddle pledges. My time was 35+ years ago and they were more symbolic already then.

If you remember the lines from “Animal House” (Wack) “Thank you sir, may I have another?” you will get the idea.

With all the issues and focus on anti-hazing anymore, they are purely symbolic and items relegated to decorating a door knob or a shelf.

Our HS shop teacher had a paddle “Black Beauty” Numerous coats of black lacquer and had windage holes bored through. It had nothing to do with pledges LOL but it was a badge of honor to be on the receiving end of it

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

WTF ? Another one of my posts just disappeared,,wanted to quote Kurt

Not sure why you post needed to be approved @Sprokitz. But I fixed it.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Thanks Ron , I just noticed that you have been appointed moderator , congrats
    I’m sure you will be a great help around BTP.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks Ron , I just noticed that you have been appointed moderator , congrats
    I’m sure you will be a great help around BTP.

Thanks Brian.

Ron

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Our principals had paddles when I was in HS. If you were on the receiving end of one you got to sign it. While I was no angel, I thankfully never signed one.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Build A Side Table

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/build-a-side-table-017607/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=A6134#

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Our principals had paddles when I was in HS. If you were on the receiving end of one you got to sign it. While I was no angel, I thankfully never signed one.

My HS principle had one as well. His paddle wouldn’t of had room for all the signature’s. LOL

Ron

KenW
    Pro

My HS principle had one as well. His paddle wouldn’t of had room for all the signature’s. LOL

Umm… does leaving a rather youngish behind print in the paddle count as signing? If it does, I’m sure to have signed at least 2… 🙂

This guy built a nice dust collection for his shop. I particularly like the floor register he made ,

There are a few nice things about how he did his – always interested to see how someone else does their stuff.

Will

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

High ceiling in that shop so plenty of space to play with the dust collection system.

Doobie

This guy built a nice dust collection for his shop. I particularly like the floor register he made

Not bad. Frankly I did a lot better with mine years ago. He’ll do a follow up one day on its shortcomings at some point.

Insulate with ground wire internally and exterior on the PVC piping.

An easier to deal with manoevreable hose sweep.

Just to name a few spots/areas watching the video at different points.

Dust collection systems are tricky. It’s not just about running piping from A to B and how best to fasten and connect it. I feel I got lucky when I did mine. I set it up, and it it was just fine, but that was after a lot of research and mental tinkering also. Other than revamping for new tools or placements, the main system I set up originally over 15 years ago has worked like a charm.

I did not get crazy on mine like the Pentz way of doing things. Overkill imo. Although I did work to do what everybody should strive for. ‘eliminate debris/dust’ at source. Meaning that to not do otherwise. you are now fighting with getting it out of the shop air if its not captured more or less at source. I do have a JDS air filter, but it so rarely gets turned on – which should be one’s objective if it does become airborne – but that the primary effort should be at the tool end itself.

One of the reasons years ago I got on the Festool platform and for now many companies now integrate good at source dust collection in their tools is just for this reason. My main woodworking shop is a very small shop, and dust collection not migrating into my house was always a concern when I set it up.

Put it this way, I’ve never had a problem in this regard once I fully implemented my strategy. My worse issue is when I may burn wood cutting it and it sets off my fire detector in my shop. Small issue to deal with although as it is connected with my whole house monitored fire detection system, it’s a bit of wake up and deal with it scenario when it does seldom happen. Doesn’t take a lot of burnt smoke to get that alarm going. Sigh!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This guy built a nice dust collection for his shop. I particularly like the floor register he made ,

I like the floor register as well, nice touch.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

High ceiling in that shop so plenty of space to play with the dust collection system.

I know , would be great to have a roomy shop like that one day , looks like he’s thought it out nicely.

Doobie

I like the floor register as well, nice touch.

I implemented a floor register. Rarely use it though. Just the type of work I do.

If I was more into hand tools and such, which I may be one day, the floor register would see a lot more usage.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I made a cutting board last week using Ash & Cherry wood with a mineral oil beeswax finish.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.551 seconds