dcsimg

Woodworking Projects. V 2.0

This topic contains 544 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  RonW 3 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 545 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Here is a new thread of Woodworking Projects.

Lets hear what you you have made and pictures are always nice to see.

Here is the link to the old thread.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/woodworking-projects-2/

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Here is the latest project; a carving bench. It can hold from 3″ to 36″ long work, the jaws are replaceable, everything is bolted together. I used a 1/2″ hitch pin to locate the movable head. All dimension lumber, easy to put together.

Attachments:

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Here is the latest project; a carving bench. It can hold from 3″ to 36″ long work, the jaws are replaceable, everything is bolted together. I used a 1/2″ hitch pin to locate the movable head. All dimension lumber, easy to put together.

Love it! What’s your first project on it going to be?

Charlie

Instagram

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Looks nifty. I haven’t done any carving. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Love it! What’s your first project on it going to be?

I did a little playing around with it today; finished up a spoon I rough carved green last summer. Did the final paring and shaping. Nothing to write home about to be honest. I spent more time honing and polishing tools than carving. Not sure yet what the first real project will be. Maybe a log will come my way with a bowl inside that wants to get out.

Looks nifty. I haven’t done any carving. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

lol I’m too embarrassed to post a pic really. maybe when I do something to be a bit more proud of i will.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

The carving bench turned out pretty good. I was just looking at carving benches the other day. Never knew they were called that.

Look forward to seeing your carving work.

What kind wood to plan on using for carving?

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here is the latest project; a carving bench.

Looks very nice Peter. Great work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice rig Peter. The next step in your carving adventure. Anxious to see your first creation. What species of wood are you going to dig into?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Nice rig Peter. The next step in your carving adventure. Anxious to see your first creation. What species of wood are you going to dig into?

I’m not too sure yet what will come my way. There are several tree removal outfits locally; I need to make contact with them and see what comes.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I’m not too sure yet what will come my way. There are several tree removal outfits locally; I need to make contact with them and see what comes.

That would nice if you can get some wood from those tree removal companies.

Peter did you read any good books on carving? I wouldn’t mine getting getting a book or 2 on carving.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

I came across a simple method for dealing with glue squeeze-out on the inside of miter joints. First optional step is to put painter’s tape on the inside edge before gluing. Once glued & clamped, take a straw you get with soft drinks at the fast food place. They are very flexible. Squeeze a 90 degree on the straw lengthwise and run it down the inside of the joint to take care of the excess glue. It simply travels to the inside of the straw minimizing any left on your project.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I came across a simple method for dealing with glue squeeze-out on the inside of miter joints. First optional step is to put painters tape on the inside edge before gluing. Once glue & clamped, take a straw you get with soft drinks at the fast food place. They are very flexible. Squeeze a 90 degree on the straw lengthwise and run it down the inside of the joint to take care of the excess glue. It simply travels to the inside of the straw minimizing any left on your project.

Makes really good sense; thanks for that.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@pi_woodworker I was thinking you were going to suggest sucking it up, ha ha!

I worked on a little project this morning – I have to remake a poster frame I made that developed a bunch of cracks once I sent it home with a friend. So this morning I cut all the wood and glued it together. Could have used that trick for the miters Lon 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

Great clamping job there Charlie. I like the corner clamping jigs you made. As the pictures show, you can never have enough clamps. Now as to sucking it up, can’t say the flavor would be very tasty. Thanks for the chuckle. LOL

Swing on by and pick a round before they are all split. Either that or wait a bit and there is an oak cut down just over the drop off to the marshy area I can lop a piece off with the chain saw for you.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Swing on by and pick a round before they are all split. Either that or wait a bit and there is an oak cut down just over the drop off to the marshy area I can lop a piece off with the chain saw for you.

Thanks, Jim, I will do that.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Great clamping job there Charlie. I like the corner clamping jigs you made. As the pictures show, you can never have enough clamps. Now as to sucking it up, can’t say the flavor would be very tasty. Thanks for the chuckle. LOL

You’d just have to be careful and not get any in your mouth – kind of like a Nose Frida – ever heard of one of those? Same idea, but for clearing babies’ noses 😉

Charlie

Instagram

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

I came across a simple method for dealing with glue squeeze-out on the inside of miter joints. First optional step is to put painter’s tape on the inside edge before gluing. Once glued & clamped, take a straw you get with soft drinks at the fast food place. They are very flexible. Squeeze a 90 degree on the straw lengthwise and run it down the inside of the joint to take care of the excess glue. It simply travels to the inside of the straw minimizing any left on your project.

I use the tape trick most of the time depending what it is I am gluing up . The straw tip works good I just forget about it all the time .

I use the tape trick most of the time depending what it is I am gluing up . The straw tip works good I just forget about it all the time .

Isn’t that the truth! There are lots of tips we read. Its remembering them when it would be a great time to use them.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Here’s the final product with that poster frame I was working on. Got it all sanded and the poster remounted this morning. I’m pretty happy with home all the joints turned out 👍

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 545 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 5.563 seconds