dcsimg

Woodworking Projects.

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author

That has the looks of becoming a fine piece of furniture. You are definitely putting the time into it. Looking forward to the final pictures.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I made a base for my girls bed. This bed is Ikea Kura bed. It can be a loft bed or a bunk bed. We are using it as bunk bed. The mattress of the bottom bunk sits on the floor. I didn’t like the idea of the mattress sitting on the floor. So I made a base from 2×4’s. Also I made so the air flow under the bed at the ends. It is nothing fancy but will do the job until I make something better. I didn’t put a finish on it as I plan on re using 2 x 4’s when I make a new one. I think I want make it abit higher with storage.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I was comissioned to build a stand to raise an oxygen concentrator by about 10 inches, and reduce the chances of it tipping over, while hiding some of the ugly institutional blue plastic. The house has walnut flooring, so it made walnut the obvious choice

I decided to build a box to raise the concentrator by 9-1/4 and then to build a second box with a 3/4 thick bottom to act as a sleeve to stabilise the concentrator, while raising it to a final height of 10″

I decided to use dovetails for the joinery, cut using my router for speed and precision. I like the look, and wasnt really open to spending the time to hand cut the dovetails

I still have to rout the dadoes for the bottoms, rabbet the bottom boards, and put in the bullet dowels that will hold the two boxes together.

One day, when the concentrator will not be needed, the two boxes can be separated and the dowel holes can hold feet under nice walnut boxes. Allows for continued use in the design

How did I miss this project before? Very nicely done, especially the provision for reuse in the future. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Started a new project over this past week, and I wanted to give some highlights of the process so far. If this is not the appropriate place to put these updates would someone please let me know. Thanks!

I am making a side table to go between my chair and the wall. Right now there is a little basket there, but I’d like something with a touch more storage that still looks good. It’s an odd-sized space. The overall dimensions are 23 inches tall, 12 inches wide, and 20 inches deep. This will put it at a height just below the height of the chair’s arm, which I think will be comfortable.

I started out going for a dig through my lumber rack to see what I could see. I found two boards of 4/4 curly maple, which was about exactly what I needed. I think I got them on clearance a while ago, and bought them without a specific project in mind. As it turns out, I’ll use almost all of it, which is perfect. I could have done it with far less 4/4 lumber if I’d had some 6/4 or 8/4, but that must not have been on sale when I picked up the boards originally. So my legs will be two pieces glued together for to make 1.5 inch square legs. They’ll taper down to an inch square or maybe less on the bottom. An apron will hide a small drawer or two that pull out the long way.

Here I’ll share some pictures and description from the milling process so far.

First, I lay out rough pieces on the lumber with chalk, giving myself about 3 inches extra on each piece, and more on the ends due to checking (although these pieces look pretty tender even at the ends). Then over to the chop saw (DW715) to cut along the lines.
    At this point, I rewrite the chalk indicator on the end of the boards. When surfacing the chalk indications will be removed, so this will be a marker until final length cuts are made.
    From there, I joint one face on my Jet JJ-CS6 jointer, followed by one edge, creating a right angle. Then through the DW735 planer for parallel faces, and rip at the table saw to create my square stock.
    On Saturday I glued up the panel for the top, and once that was dry I was able to handplane it down to its finished dimension. One thing that I did was set my handplanes to take SUPER light cuts since the curly grain is wont to tear out. No pictures of that yet, but I will get some.
    Nest step: Gluing up the legs.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’ll be looking forward to your build. Will you use traditional Joinery; M&T, dovetails?

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I’ll be looking forward to your build. Will you use traditional Joinery; M&T, dovetails?

I am planning to use M&T for the apron to leg connections, and the stretcher to leg connections as well. The top will be attached to the base with either figure 8 washers to allow for seasonal movement or I’ll fabricate some buttons to attach it with. I made a batch a while ago, but haven’t been able to put my finger on them. Maybe by the time I’m done they’ll turn up. The drawers I’d like to dovetail. I don’t have a ton of experience cutting half-blind DTs, but through dovetails I’ve made my share of. I’d like to get the drawers running on rails that are then dadoed into the side of the drawer. Not fully planned on that part yet.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I am planning to use M&T for the apron to leg connections, and the stretcher to leg connections as well. The top will be attached to the base with either figure 8 washers to allow for seasonal movement or I’ll fabricate some buttons to attach it with. I made a batch a while ago, but haven’t been able to put my finger on them. Maybe by the time I’m done they’ll turn up. The drawers I’d like to dovetail. I don’t have a ton of experience cutting half-blind DTs, but through dovetails I’ve made my share of. I’d like to get the drawers running on rails that are then dadoed into the side of the drawer. Not fully planned on that part yet.

I like the plan so far. Looking forward to it.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Started a new project over this past week, and I wanted to give some highlights of the process so far. If this is not the appropriate place to put these updates would someone please let me know. Thanks!

I am making a side table to go between my chair and the wall. Right now there is a little basket there, but I’d like something with a touch more storage that still looks good. It’s an odd-sized space. The overall dimensions are 23 inches tall, 12 inches wide, and 20 inches deep. This will put it at a height just below the height of the chair’s arm, which I think will be comfortable.

I started out going for a dig through my lumber rack to see what I could see. I found two boards of 4/4 curly maple, which was about exactly what I needed. I think I got them on clearance a while ago, and bought them without a specific project in mind. As it turns out, I’ll use almost all of it, which is perfect. I could have done it with far less 4/4 lumber if I’d had some 6/4 or 8/4, but that must not have been on sale when I picked up the boards originally. So my legs will be two pieces glued together for to make 1.5 inch square legs. They’ll taper down to an inch square or maybe less on the bottom. An apron will hide a small drawer or two that pull out the long way.

Here I’ll share some pictures and description from the milling process so far.

First, I lay out rough pieces on the lumber with chalk, giving myself about 3 inches extra on each piece, and more on the ends due to checking (although these pieces look pretty tender even at the ends). Then over to the chop saw (DW715) to cut along the lines.
    At this point, I rewrite the chalk indicator on the end of the boards. When surfacing the chalk indications will be removed, so this will be a marker until final length cuts are made.
    From there, I joint one face on my Jet JJ-CS6 jointer, followed by one edge, creating a right angle. Then through the DW735 planer for parallel faces, and rip at the table saw to create my square stock.
    On Saturday I glued up the panel for the top, and once that was dry I was able to handplane it down to its finished dimension. One thing that I did was set my handplanes to take SUPER light cuts since the curly grain is wont to tear out. No pictures of that yet, but I will get some.
    Nest step: Gluing up the legs.

Sounds like a great woodworking project to me. Looking forward to how it turns out.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well looks like might another project sooner then planned. My wife sent me couple of pictures of Wall racks for Essentials oils. I guess might hint for birthday present as her birthday is the first of next week.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Well looks like might another project sooner then planned. My wife sent me couple of pictures of Wall racks for Essentials oils. I guess might hint for birthday present as her birthday is the first of next week.

Doesn’t give you much time, does it? What wood are you considering?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

that looks nice and easy, if you stick to the same 2×4 pine, you’ll be laughing.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

No it doesn’t give me much time. I just found out the wife works Sunday. I think I might use some pine.

Greg

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Part 2: Got two of the legs glued up last night. I do glueups in my basement in the winter rather than out in the shop since it’s too cold out there for the glue.
    I started with 8 leg blanks each about 7/8″ thick (4/4 originally, smaller after jointing/planing), which will provide 1.5 inch square legs, which will then get tapered on the bottom.
    I spent a while choosing boards to match and considering orientations and faces so that all four sides of the leg will be as consistent in grain as possible. It helps that they all came from the same board, but even still I fuss with it. Once set, I marked the orientations.
    I hope to get the other two legs glued up tonight or tomorrow as time allows, then put some work in this weekend with tapering. That will be something new for me. I’ve never done a tapered leg before, so I’m excited to give it a crack. Enjoy the pics. Comments and criticism welcome.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Part 2: Got two of the legs glued up last night. I do glueups in my basement in the winter rather than out in the shop since it’s too cold out there for the glue.
    I started with 8 leg blanks each about 7/8″ thick (4/4 originally, smaller after jointing/planing), which will provide 1.5 inch square legs, which will then get tapered on the bottom.
    I spent a while choosing boards to match and considering orientations and faces so that all four sides of the leg will be as consistent in grain as possible. It helps that they all came from the same board, but even still I fuss with it. Once set, I marked the orientations.
    I hope to get the other two legs glued up tonight or tomorrow as time allows, then put some work in this weekend with tapering. That will be something new for me. I’ve never done a tapered leg before, so I’m excited to give it a crack. Enjoy the pics. Comments and criticism welcome.

Do you have a tapering jig in mind yet? This is one I have been looking at building both for tapering and for trimming.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

@smallerstick Yeah I am thinking something like that. I’ll bang something together along those lines I think.

Clev08
    Pro

Do you have a tapering jig in mind yet? This is one I have been looking at building both for tapering and for trimming.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/8-FHD8aHUo8?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I feel like this T-slot router bit could have saved that guy a lot of time making that jig
    http://www.rockler.com/freud-70-104-key-hole-bit-25-64-dia-x-7-16h-1-4-shank

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/8-FHD8aHUo8?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I feel like this T-slot router bit could have saved that guy a lot of time making that jig
    http://www.rockler.com/freud-70-104-key-hole-bit-25-64-dia-x-7-16h-1-4-shank

The T-slot would be the way to go but the base of the jig should be plywood rather than MDF, I would think.

The T-slot does make sense.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well it looks alot less time now. As I have yet to get any wood ready for this project. There has been to many things going on this week for shop time. I hoping for some shop on Saturday.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Another one for the books. Finished putting the hardware on. The finish is 2 coats of oil/wax and then a final coat of just wax.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Attachments:
    BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Today I finally put on the second of finish (tung oil). When the finish cures I’ll put handles on the ends and call it good.

@beardedcarpenter
    Great looking project as I think I have said already but I have a question about tung oil. Do you use the pure untreated product or the polymerized version? Have you used both? I am using tung oil now for the first time.

@smallerstick
    Sorry for the long delayed response. I used whatever tung oil was on the shelf at Lowes, so it’s most likely polymerized. I’ve never used the pure tung oil, but as far as I understand, it takes forever to cure. The polymerized stuff works just fine for most applications.

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 1,003 total)
  • The topic ‘Woodworking Projects.’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.452 seconds