dcsimg

Woodworking Projects.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Not as nice as the spalted maple box above, but a fun couple of hours

I’m going to have to disagree with you Eric…personally I like your box better. The Spalted maple is pretty, but it’s not my style. The walnut is gorgeous.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

http://bethepro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/DSC_8576.jpg
    Really like the grain match on that end of the box Jim. Great job!

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

That is wonderful. Walnut, correct?

Yup. Im coming to realize that its by far my favourite wood to use

I have to agree, walnut is right up there. Cherry is nice too. My first time was in my video series “A board of Cherry”, a cabinet for my son. The board came from Merv ( @JourneyMan ) originally.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Just to get you guys thinking, consider mixing wood species such as using a inlay banding strip or making splines with a contrasting color of wood. It adds a great touch.

Just to get you guys thinking, consider mixing wood species such as using a inlay banding strip or making splines with a contrasting color of wood. It adds a great touch.

I agree – I am a big fan on incorporating this into my projects.

Orange County, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It sure does Lon. Mark used that technique on the outdoor table he built and it came out nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That is wonderful. Walnut, correct?

Yup. Im coming to realize that its by far my favourite wood to use

I have to agree, walnut is right up there. Cherry is nice too. My first time was in my video series “A board of Cherry”, a cabinet for my son. The board came from Merv ( @journeyman ) originally.

I’m really beginning to like walnut a lot, too. That and cherry are the ones I’m using quite a bit right now.

When I lived up north and hardwoods were hard to find, birch became one of my go-to materials. It is very nice to work but does tend to twist if you aren’t careful.

I would really like to find some figured maple.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Well done on the spalted maple box, it is absolutely stunning!

The walnut box is well done as well!

Probably my favorite go-to hardwood right now is Cherry. I always look forward to the finishing phase of my project when the cherry wood just starts to jump out. Alas, due to the high price in the area, I have not had much experience with Walnut except for on the lathe.

Mike Mader

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Gorgeous walnut box Eric.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

The box I made for my daughter that gave me fits. Like I have mentioned, “keeping it simple” made it really hard. I fitted the inside panel at least 3 times unsuccessfully, the ink transfer took at least 4 tries, including mistakenly dying the wood first and having to sand that out of it, and the spray lacquer took forever. Of course the last coat ran and I had to wet sand and apply more.

I wanted to keep the wood itself as the feature as the spalt is so nice. Sometimes a block of wood looks good as a block of wood.

Nice work, that looks beautiful!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Eric that box turned out every bit as nice as the maple one. They are both fine pieces of work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Eric that box turned out every bit as nice as the maple one. They are both fine pieces of work.

I’m going to have to disagree with you Eric…personally I like your box better. The Spalted maple is pretty, but it’s not my style. The walnut is gorgeous.

Thanks

As a box for my home, the spalted maple isn’t my taste, but as a woodworker, the quality of work in that maple box far surpasses what I did with the walnut.

Walnut is nice because you can keep it simple and let the quality of the material shine. Its kind of like cooking with top quality ingredients. Keep it simple and the end result is wonderful.

I really need to practice box making in general. My skills aren’t where I want them. If nothing else, I need to work on my handsaws dovetails. This box used the PC router jig, which is great, fast, and just about foolproof, but I can’t space the pins and tails where I want to.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

I believe the easel was from Wood Magazine.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Attachments:
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I agree – I am a big fan on incorporating this into my projects.

I love contrasting woods too.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I was pretty surprised the other day when I was watching Matt’s Weekly Shop Update by Matt Cremona on Youtube. When my project the Handprints in frame was mention in the Viewer projects. My project is at the 5.25 minute mark

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I was pretty surprised the other day when I was watching Matt’s Weekly Shop Update by Matt Cremona on Youtube. When my project the Handprints in frame was mention in the Viewer projects. My project is at the 5.25 minute mark

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/lb460PkPTy4?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I saw that one but didn’t make the connection. I like that a lot. Nice to have that recognition, Greg.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/lb460PkPTy4?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Congrats on the recognition. I really like the project.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/lb460PkPTy4?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I saw that one but didn’t make the connection. I like that a lot. Nice to have that recognition, Greg.

It was a fun project. Thank you.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/lb460PkPTy4?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Congrats on the recognition. I really like the project.

Thank you. Yes it is nice to get the recognition.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I didn’t make the connection to you. I guess you are famous now! 🙂 It was a very neat project. Nice job!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Thanks Jim, I wouldn’t say I am famous yet.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 1,003 total)
  • The topic ‘Woodworking Projects.’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.333 seconds