dcsimg

Woodgears Bandsaw blog

This topic contains 341 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 342 total)
  • Author

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

So when I posted some pictures of the completed frame of the Woodgears.ca bandsaw that I am in the process of building, there were several who called for a blog outlining the build. I am happy to oblige, so will be posting some pictures and writeups here as the build continues. If it’s anything like my previous shop projects, it will be a slow build, interrupted by winters being too cold in the shop and having two kids under 4 years old, but as I keep plugging away I’ll post. I am also going to tag those who expressed interest in the “what did you do…” forum. Feel free to disregard if you like, but I like when people tag me in forums that they think would be up my alley. If it’s a bother, I apologize.
    I also want to make clear that Matthias Wandel’s plans are comprehensive, beautiful, and a delight to work from. They are selling for less than $20, and I wouldn’t hesitate to spend that money even just for a good read. I will refrain from posting anything but the broadest dimensions as I do not wish for his plans to become any more public by way of this blog. He has videos available on youtube that outline the saw, so I hope not to post anything more on here than what he’s shown there. Matthias, if you happen to read this, 1. I am extremely honored and humbled and 2. please let me know if I have posted anything too far. Again, the plans are available at http://www.woodgears.ca. It’s one of my favorite corners of the internet (along with this one).
    Some of these pictures have already been posted at BTP, but I will post them again to keep new readers up to speed. I hope you find it interesting.

Interested parties may include: @montreal_medic @ronw @smallerstick @boschmanbrian @theamcguy @gtaylor @cmeyer25

So when I posted some pictures of the completed frame of the Woodgears.ca bandsaw that I am in the process of building, there were several who called for a blog outlining the build. I am happy to oblige, so will be posting some pictures and writeups here as the build continues. If it’s anything like my previous shop projects, it will be a slow build, interrupted by winters being too cold in the shop and having two kids under 4 years old, but as I keep plugging away I’ll post. I am also going to tag those who expressed interest in the “what did you do…” forum. Feel free to disregard if you like, but I like when people tag me in forums that they think would be up my alley. If it’s a bother, I apologize.
    I also want to make clear that Matthias Wandel’s plans are comprehensive, beautiful, and a delight to work from. They are selling for less than $20, and I wouldn’t hesitate to spend that money even just for a good read. I will refrain from posting anything but the broadest dimensions as I do not wish for his plans to become any more public by way of this blog. He has videos available on youtube that outline the saw, so I hope not to post anything more on here than what he’s shown there. Matthias, if you happen to read this, 1. I am extremely honored and humbled and 2. please let me know if I have posted anything too far. Again, the plans are available at http://www.woodgears.ca. It’s one of my favorite corners of the internet (along with this one).
    Some of these pictures have already been posted at BTP, but I will post them again to keep new readers up to speed. I hope you find it interesting.

Interested parties may include: @montreal_medic @ronw @smallerstick @boschmanbrian @theamcguy @gtaylor @cmeyer25

Very interested. Sweet

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

So here are some pictures of the frame build. The first picture is all the wood cut to size and organized. The second picture is from the beginning of the building up of the frame. It gets built in layers, as seen in the photos of the completed frame. I used Home Depot 2x6s, and resawed them at the table saw (due to not having a bandsaw, which is why I’m building one!!). They ended up a little thinner than suggested, so I added in two additional repeated layers. Made the glueup take longer than it should have, but at a significant cost savings. There is also a “panel” that will get attached to the bottom, but I waited to glue those boards on since you need to drill up from the bottom at one point. Once that’s done then I’ll glue the “foot” pieces in place. More photos coming shortly.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Two more photos of the finished frame from various angles. Also included are some pictures of the motor that right now is my motor for the saw. It’s only a 1/3HP motor off an old drill press that I got for free from a friend who didn’t need it anymore. I hope to find a bigger motor (1 – 2HP would be awesome) to give it more power, but won’t need it for a while yet. The 1/3HP motor shown will get me going on turning the wheels to true size and shape just fine. I know I could buy a new one, but am trying to keep the build as cheap as possible. I should be able to scavenge one from a pool pump, or washer/dryer, old furnace, or the like. Pretty unwilling to pay for one at this point though. If anyone here has any leads, though…

That’s a lot of scrap wood being glued together . I’m looking forward to seeing this build to the end .

Always willing to learn .

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Okay, just about caught up to real time (at which point the pace of posting will slow down exponentially). Last night I roughed out circles of plywood with my jigsaw, two each from 3/4″ and 1/2″. This will yield two wheels each 1.25″ thick. The finished dimensions are to be 40cm diameter (it’ll be a 16″ bandsaw in the end), so I cut well shy of that line. I’ll trim up to the line with a small 9″ bandsaw that was given to me by a coworker after I started the build. I’m proceeding since the small one is too short, small, and underpowered to do serious resawing. There are lots of clamps on the outside rim of the wheel since that’s where I need the best glue connection, but I also used a set of clamping cauls (2x4s with a bow planed into them and covered in packing tape) to get good adhesion at the center. I’ll glue up the other one tonight (that was almost all of my small clamps used for one), but it’ll look very similar so I likely won’t post those pictures. Hope you’re all enjoying so far. Thanks for reading.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Thanks for tagging me – I’m excited to see the process. And I completely get the slow speed of some projects with young kids – mine are 6 and 4 now, so it’s gotten easier, but nice work balancing shop and family time!

Charlie

Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thats pretty awesome, i considered building this one but the powermatic one kinda fell into my lap and I couldn’t say no.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Thats pretty awesome, i considered building this one but the powermatic one kinda fell into my lap and I couldn’t say no.

Makes sense. If I ever had anything Powermatic fall into my lap I’d have a hard time saying no. Thanks for reading.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks for tagging me. This is a really exciting project; I certainly haven’t considered doing anything like it before. Lots of cutting and gluing to begin but the frame looks to be about as strong and rigid as it would ever need to be.

I’m impressed and looking forward to the wheel build next.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

I am going to be watching this one too. This build has crossed my mind more than once. I like Matthias’s channel and site.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I wonder if there is a way to design it to be knocked down for easy storage without impacting the quality and safety. Would be nice to have a big resawing monster that I could keep in a box when not in use

Lots of empty space in a big bandsaw since the size is determined mostly by the wheels

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

I also will be watching this build. Sounds like a terrific project!

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Doobie
    Pro

This kinda stuff intrigues me too. Glad you started a dedicated thread for it.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I wonder if there is a way to design it to be knocked down for easy storage without impacting the quality and safety. Would be nice to have a big resawing monster that I could keep in a box when not in use

Lots of empty space in a big bandsaw since the size is determined mostly by the wheels

True. I would think it definitely would be the second time I built it that I’d try something like that. It’s a complex enough build that to add that would be a real challenge. Also, the frame pretty much needs to be one solid piece to maintain structural integrity. To get it to the point where it could somehow fold up would be a real challenge given the tolerances required. Maybe it could be done, but it would need someone way smarter than me to make that happen.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I’ll update when I can.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thats what i was thinking when I first saw this, might be better to use and get less wasted wood if i can re assemble it around a log that has been cut.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Really a neat project. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro

the frame pretty much needs to be one solid piece to maintain structural integrity. To get it to the point where it could somehow fold up would be a real challenge given the tolerances required.

I agree. The tension needed for the blade needs to be constant and aligned properly. I can’t see how one would maintain that in a folding body. They don’t make them out of metal folding, out of wood would be even more difficult.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Very interesting build @mrfid. I will continue to follow along.
    Definitely a bigger HP motor will make this bandsaw sing.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have worked with knocked down tools and although the sound great to maximize floor space, after a while they don’t get used because of the PITA factor setting them up then taking them down. Best to figure out what are the essential tools that will fit in your space.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 342 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.797 seconds