dcsimg

Wood Shop

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I thought I would start a new thread to show that there is still hope for our youth. I started working at a Colorado High School, Colorado Springs, and believe it or not, they still have a wood shop, and auto mechanics shop. I couldn’t believe it and think that it is great that kids still have an opportunity to be able to work with their hands. To make it even better, they even have groups that build sheds. When the sheds are built, the school sells them to help fund programs. It’s pretty cool, especially the way that schools are funded here. To say that they have been getting underfunded would be an understatement. I’m going to get some pictures tomorrow (snow day today), of the shops and I’ll add them to the thread. I’m going to see if I can find a little bit of time to get involved and volunteer some time, but we’ll see.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I loved my high school shop classes. I took them along with the advanced courses in math, science, english, etc. Made scheduling my classes a nightmare for the staff because most “shop” students took the basic subjects.

Drafting was mandatory in the first 2 years if you took shop classes. There were 5 all together. Auto, welding, electricity, and machine shop, along with drafting. My last 2 years were auto mechanics only.

Along with music, I think some sort of shop/home economics ought to be non optional and you must take something in the first couple of years in high school. Also increase home economics from basic cooking to include things like “how to balance a cheque book” and other basic skills.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I thought colorado after the whole legalizing was getting tons of funding for everything, including getting money back from the local gov due to the amount of money coming in from the pot tax?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That’s great to hear. I believe the wood shop classes still exist at my former high school. It’s a rural school though, so it’s probably more popular/pertinent to the town.

Put that pot money to good use!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

You would think all the pot money is being put to good use, but I don’t know where it’s going. Schools are being shorted millions of dollars a year.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I loved my high school shop classes. I took them along with the advanced courses in math, science, english, etc. Made scheduling my classes a nightmare for the staff because most “shop” students took the basic subjects.

Drafting was mandatory in the first 2 years if you took shop classes. There were 5 all together. Auto, welding, electricity, and machine shop, along with drafting. My last 2 years were auto mechanics only.

Along with music, I think some sort of shop/home economics ought to be non optional and you must take something in the first couple of years in high school. Also increase home economics from basic cooking to include things like “how to balance a cheque book” and other basic skills.

As a teacher, and a (fairly) young person, I wonder how many students today will be balancing a checkbook anymore. I haven’t balanced a checkbook in a decade, at least, because the way people pay for things is changing dramatically, by becoming more automated.

I do agree with your point that skills needed for adulthood should be taught, but I find that students at the high school age are not motivated to learn how to do basic adult things because they feel like anything they’ll need to do can be taken care of by paying someone. Don’t feel like filing your taxes? Hire an accountant. Don’t feel like changing your oil? Go to Valvoline. Instead, I think the public should be offered courses in the basic adult skills once they realize they’ll need them. This is how I treat youtube. Wanna take a class and learn how to change oil in your car? Youtube has the answer. Want to hand cut a dovetail joint? Youtube. So, while I am not disagreeing that these skills should be made accessible, from teaching high school math for almost a decade now I know that students do not find this type of education as informative as we’d want them to. For the record, I loved shop class as well, and view that as an exception to the rule 🙂

That is great to hear Sven. That is a neat way to raise money. Looking forward to seeing the pictures and good to hear from you again!

Very cool @Svensshutters! I loved shop class…took it for 3 years and then did one year of CAD. It is very important. If nothing else it teaches kids that hard work shoukd be respected.

The shed project is a good one. Teaches multiple phases of building and gets the students some good hands on experience.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

Do they have a Sawstop in the shop Sven. Most of the shop classes in these parts have done that.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

You would think all the pot money is being put to good use, but I don’t know where it’s going. Schools are being shorted millions of dollars a year.

That’s so weird as all I read in the news how there is so much extra from the taxes

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I find it a bit ironic that the pot money would be going into the shops as in my day, out behind the shops at school is the place you would find all the stoners.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Fundamental life skills should be mandatory for secondary schools IMO. That would include shop, cooking, music, financial management; skills that adults need. You can’t hire someone to do a job for you without at least the basic understanding of what that job involves.

There are books which deal with those basics that I would like to see more of. Books like “The Wealthy Barber” comes to mind as a perfect example of what should be taught.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Glad to hear it Sven, My HS had all the shop classes and I took everyone I could. Loved it…I find it strange how this conversation turned to pot taxes just because he’s in Colorado LOL

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

In the last 6 years I have been donating birdhouse plans to a few local high schools here in Canada and a few in the states . The woodshop teachers are teaching their students how to build birdhouses .

https://www.bwdsb.on.ca/bwdsb_Archives/I0606AA4C

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

I find it a bit ironic that the pot money would be going into the shops as in my day, out behind the shops at school is the place you would find all the stoners.

Exactly!

While I agree that new technologies such as streaming video are a wonderful addition to how we can learn things, there are lots of skills that require hands-on activity. And having a teacher there is invaluable. Lots of post on forums where people are asking “Am I doing this right?” because they don’t know how the activity is supposed to feel, or how fast something should happen, etc.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Going back a few years, but I was working in a place that was connected to a bar, and one day I walked through while it was closed and they were doing some fixing up. I stood and watched a guy for a while sweating and cursing while trying to drill a hole in the side of a billiards table. I just walked away, not saying a thing, shaking my head, as he kept trying……………with the drill in reverse.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

That’s awesome Sven, nice to see the trades being given some priority still in education. I see too many people that dress like lumberjacks but avoid manual labor at all costs these days.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Great thread,.. I can’t believe they still have all those classes.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am surprised a few schools still have this, as i was leaving highschool many years ago they were transitioning to more advanced classes like robotics and electronics. I know a good number of schools in the toronto area got their woodshop gutted.

Doobie

My sons high school he just started going to has a wood shop and an automotive shop which is surprising as it is a fairly small school with less than 1000 kids.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.527 seconds