dcsimg

Wood lath anchoring masonry veneer **homeowner question

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Emayjay
    Pro

Have you seen a masonry veneer anchoring system like this? Our house was built in 1911 and appears to be a cedar box with brick “tiles” about two inches thick with a notched ledge that hang on a system of wooden laths. We cannot find any references or other examples of a similar system. We are working to remove old paint and want to determine whether to repaint or not as one photo from about 1950 shows it unpainted and we know that older bricks need to be treated differently. We are also interested in preservation of the original system as much as possible but have concerns about the system’s structural longevity. Thank you for any input you may be able to offer.

Side view of brick tile

During foundation repair...you can see wooden rails or lath that hold tiles on left side of pic

View of notched ledge

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Don’t know about that system but what I see there looks extremely rotten.
    Like in demolish everything and build a new one.

Emayjay
    Pro

Most of what you can see on the right side of that photo was replaced with new wood backing. It was about three years ago and we were replacing about a third of the house’s foundation. I shared that pic because it’s the only one I could find at the moment where you can see the system that was originally used to hang the brick cladding. I would love to learn if anyone has seen something like this before. Thanks very much.

Wow interesting , I’ve only seen a newer product that’s called nuovo brick I believe , it’s similar but different
    So you are holding a brick , I’m not sure I’m understanding what or how it’s attached to the house , using wood or something else
    Or is that a wooden brick 🤷‍♂️
    Pictures are not the best ,
    Hopefully some of the senior guys here have seen something like that and can help you.

@RonW

@roninohio

@ChadM

@Sprokitz

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I live in a very history town with many really old houses, but I have never come across anything like those bricks. Looks like a typical french cleat system, only for bricks made to work with it. Very interesting to say the least. I doubt you will ever find replacement bricks

Emayjay
    Pro

Thanks so much for the replies. Yes, a french cleat system is a good description. And also yes on the impossibility of finding replacement bricks. We repaired those we could and the mason who worked with those few that fell off during foundation work put them back by pretty much sticking them back up with mortar and trying to match with a few thin brick replacements. In another area that was bowing we worked to replicate the hanging system by shaping and attaching new rails and rehanging the bricks as they’d been originally placed. Here is a closer view of the wooden rails and another of the fired brick to see the thickness.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That is very interesting, and possibly a product way ahead of it’s time.

I have never seen anything like that before, that is that age, but there are a lot of products on the market today that use similar attachment systems to allow less skilled labor to install the product.

Additional pictures and information if you find any would be interesting to see.

l_bar
    Pro

Hi, My family, and I shifted for my job purpose to Toronto since then I had given my home to rent. I was not having problems with any of my renters except for the last one. When there was a heavy rainstorm, he left open the windows. So he lost his dress, and for me, I lost my carpets, and my floor got ruined. To cover his loss, he was trying to collect on my liability insurance. And I strictly said no and told him to receive from his tenant’s insurance. But now he is threatening me that he will claim my insurance. Someone, please share your thoughts if you know regarding this.

@Miamicuse 👆
    Or @doobie if it feels strange

Doobie

I think the member is asking a genuine question just like they did a while back about pool liners. Can’t toss for stuff like that alone.

That imbedded Tenant’s Insurance link doesn’t work for me though. Does it for anybody else?

I must say though, the subject matter LInda is talking about doesn’t belong in this thread at all.

I think the member is asking a genuine question just like they did a while back about pool liners. Can’t toss for stuff like that alone.

That imbedded Tenant’s Insurance link doesn’t work for me though. Does it for anybody else?

I must say though, the subject matter LInda is talking about doesn’t belong in this thread at all.

Yeah I know , that’s why I tagged Miamicuse because I thought he’d be able to help , and figured because of your accountant background you also might have some input ,
    I didn’t try clicking on the link , just in case

Doobie

Yeah I know , that’s why I tagged Miamicuse because I thought he’d be able to help , and figured because of your accountant background you also might have some input ,

I didn’t try clicking on the link , just in case

I don’t deal with P&C type of insurance stuff. Just the life/investment side.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Hi, My family, and I shifted for my job purpose to Toronto since then I had given my home to rent. I was not having problems with any of my renters except for the last one. When there was a heavy rainstorm, he left open the windows. So he lost his dress, and for me, I lost my carpets, and my floor got ruined. To cover his loss, he was trying to collect on my liability insurance. And I strictly said no and told him to receive from his tenant’s insurance. But now he is threatening me that he will claim my insurance. Someone, please share your thoughts if you know regarding this.

what do you mean “HE lost his DRESS”?

These situations are basically governed by your state/providence landlord/tenant statues and lease agreement, so you need to refer to these document to resolve that.

In my lease agreements I have a section specifically for insurance coverage. Basically when a tenant rents my space they have to select (A) provide proof of tenant insurance coverage on their possessions, OR (B) if they choose not to buy tenant insurance, then they have to sign a liability waiver relieving landlord of any damages to persons, animals, possessions from natural disaster, fire, theft, vandalism…(this is a long list) UNLESS the loss is due to the gross negligence of landlord. Even if they have tenant insurance coverage, they still have to sign a waiver stating landlord is not liable for any loss incurred if it’s under their deductable, or if it’s above the maximum liability covered with their policy. It’s all spelled out.

Basically my insurance covers my building, my appliances, my cabinets, etc…and their insurance covers their own stuff.

If I were to solder a copper pipe inside the house and started a fire and burned the house down, then it may or may not go to “gross negligence” depending on how and why that happen.

You should tell him you need to talk to his insurance to claim the loss of your carpets. If he has no insurance than it’s damages he is responsible for and that is money he owes. If he doesn’t pay up then file for eviction.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

yes, probably the most off topic post in history of mankind!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.987 seconds