dcsimg

Wood haven router base. What set up do other door hangers use?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

LBBuilders
    Pro
    VENTURA, CA

I am a finish carpenter in Southern California. I do all kinds of finish work but specialize and love swinging doors. Most of the time customers have pre-hung doors that need to be installed. Most pre-hung units come pre bored and prepped for hardware and I don’t need to get my routers. It’s when I need to do a re-hang (scribing a slab door into an opening) that I need my router. Over the years I have found my Bosch colt router is the perfect size and power for dapping in my hinges and prepping for hardware. While looking for a new base for the colt I came across the Wood Haven 8320 bushing plate.
    Man oh man, I love my little set up. The handles give me the option for more control while I am mortising the hinges. However, the base is small enough that I can use the router with one hand and still have complete control while mortising strike plates and smaller templates.
    The Bosch colt, Wood Haven base and a Freud router bit make mortising my doors a breeze. I would love to hear what set up you other door hangers use.

LBBuilders
    Pro
    VENTURA, CA

Since I specialize in doors I wanted to set up this forum to see what other door hangers used as far as their routers and planers. So I had to post a picture of a door planer I just picked up. It is the porter cable/Rockwell 126 heavy duty. It is the go to planer for the guys who taught me doors. I don’t think porter cable makes these brand new any more. I know you can find them online refurbished. This planer is the cats pajamas and is worth every penny. Let me know what’s your go to planer for doing a re hang.

Attachments:

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I really like my 18v Makita planer. With a bit of set up, I got it to cut perfectly without snipe.

As for the door set up, I don’t have one! The few times that I’ve needed to mortise hinges, I did it free hand with a trim router/chisel.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Since I specialize in doors I wanted to set up this forum to see what other door hangers used as far as their routers and planers. So I had to post a picture of a door planer I just picked up. It is the porter cable/Rockwell 126 heavy duty. It is the go to planer for the guys who taught me doors. I don’t think porter cable makes these brand new any more. I know you can find them online refurbished. This planer is the cats pajamas and is worth every penny. Let me know what’s your go to planer for doing a re hang.

Does that plane have the spiral cutterhead?

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

LBBuilders
    Pro
    VENTURA, CA

Yup it does. And luckily the one I just bought is sharp.

Well Jon i highly recommend the colt with that wood haven base. It’s a great inexpensive template router. And I use templaco templates

Hangman
    Pro

Haven’t currently made or bought any jigs for mortising hinges. I draw them out, scribe them with a knife and route them from center to outer edge. Certainly if just doing a few doors it’s simple enough. Love my Ridgid Brushless Router, do wish Bosch would make an 18V version, the upcoming 12V looks promising especially since I’m on that platform.

Attachments:

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i have 2 colt routers.. one is set up only for door hanging the other for profiles.. i just find haveing one dedicated router saves time having to set the router to the right depth every time i want to use it. probably 85% of the doors i hang are slabs that i build my own jambs for

my power plane is also bosch, I dont have to reach for it too often though. most of the time is sits home

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Haven’t currently made or bought any jigs for mortising hinges. I draw them out, scribe them with a knife and route them from center to outer edge. Certainly if just doing a few doors it’s simple enough. Love my Ridgid Brushless Router, do wish Bosch would make an 18V version, the upcoming 12V looks promising especially since I’m on that platform.

Since you bought the cordless router . Do you feel like you don’t use your corded colt much .

Always willing to learn .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Love my Ridgid Brushless Router,

I love mine too!! LOL.. Big Box budget tools LOL!!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.871 seconds