dcsimg

wood filler/ fairing

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

looks interesting, how much smoother did it get? better than sand paper finish?

okay perfect, i owe you and i can’t wait to try it out on some project coming up. I may have to make a few more cutting boards anyways, and cheese serving trays, so I am sure it’ll be used
    It feels as smooth as a smoothing plane’s finish, at least my smoothing plane…:P
    The tricky grain areas came out so much better with the scraper vs plane. Thumbs up!

so did you end up picking up the two set, the thicker one and the one you were using?

I got us both Bahco ones, they are 0.8 mm and it was the one I was using in video. I bought kit that comes with curved and burnisher that is thinner at 0.6mm.

yellaD
    Pro

looks interesting, how much smoother did it get? better than sand paper finish?

okay perfect, i owe you and i can’t wait to try it out on some project coming up. I may have to make a few more cutting boards anyways, and cheese serving trays, so I am sure it’ll be used
    It feels as smooth as a smoothing plane’s finish, at least my smoothing plane…:P
    The tricky grain areas came out so much better with the scraper vs plane. Thumbs up!

so did you end up picking up the two set, the thicker one and the one you were using?

I got us both Bahco ones, they are 0.8 mm and it was the one I was using in video. I bought kit that comes with curved and burnisher that is thinner at 0.6mm.

Speechless, I know. Well gimme a shout when you’re on holidays and we can meet up!

lulu
    Pro

i just saw this thread and a thought struck me. not sure if this would work but what about using wood filler then going ontop of that with a piece of veneer?

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

yellaD
    Pro

i just saw this thread and a thought struck me. not sure if this would work but what about using wood filler then going ontop of that with a piece of veneer?

The tear out isn’t deep enough for both filling and veneer. Maybe just veneer? I didn’t think of that. SOrry I couldn’t find a pic on my PC..

lulu
    Pro

The tear out isn’t deep enough for both filling and veneer. Maybe just veneer? I didn’t think of that. SOrry I couldn’t find a pic on my PC..

I don’t see why veneer wouldn’t work by itself. Anyways I hope it works for ya. Please message me if it does. Have a good one.

Michael Angelo

lulu
    Pro

Sorry I accidently hit reply twice. So now it wont let me post. You can take out the points I get from this post. I understand. Lol WHY ME??????!!

Michael Angelo

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t see why veneer wouldn’t work by itself. Anyways I hope it works for ya. Please message me if it does. Have a good one.

If you try to veneer over an uneven surface the veneer will likely break or crush in the areas where the sub surface in damaged. Typically veneers aren’t thick enough to be rigid enough to combat this.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

lulu
    Pro

If you try to veneer over an uneven surface the veneer will likely break or crush in the areas where the sub surface in damaged. Typically veneers aren’t thick enough to be rigid enough to combat this.

good point i didnt think of that. wish there was a photot so i could see it. but the tear out was caused by a plane so it should be even and level. unless it bounced as it tore it.

Michael Angelo

yellaD
    Pro

This is about as far as I’m willing to plane down to. Will be too thin soon. Hope u can see it.

Doobie

Why don’t you try to enroll in one of the three free plane classes being offered at LV east on the 23rd and bring your piece and plane(s) which we are allowed to do?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Why don’t you try to enroll in one of the three free plane classes being offered at LV east on the 23rd and bring your piece and plane(s) which we are allowed to do?

what time is the course? i am working in the afternoon, not sure if i’ll have time. Its too bad quite a few of their courses are on days I am working.

Doobie

what time is the course? i am working in the afternoon, not sure if i’ll have time. Its too bad quite a few of their courses are on days I am working.

When I spoke on the phone with them, I vaguely recall a 9:30 AM seminar and another mid day sometime.

yellaD
    Pro

Yeah I saw that and got excited. Then I got scared cuz I will leave with a $400 Veritas Jointer plane that I can’t afford. I’d be lucky to leave with only buying a router plane. I can’t go into LV and leave empty handed…

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

When I spoke on the phone with them, I vaguely recall a 9:30 AM seminar and another mid day sometime.

i am going to have to call closer to the date and hope they have some classes open as I am on afternoon shift have to see what time i can get up lol.

Depending on what I’m working on I use the sanding dust & mix with wood glue & use that as filler. Works like a charm

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.438 seconds