dcsimg

Wondering where I've been.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t know how I’d handle the threat of fire taking my home. It’s just not something we have in the Midwest very often. Tornados and floods are much more common, and you generally don’t get much warning like I’d think you would with a wildfire.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

I told you you should have moved over here!! No fire at all.

Yea, but isn’t there issues with the earth burpin’ up lava in that neck of the woods? 😉

@doobie

I’m not sure of that. One of the next towns over is called Volcano.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

I don’t know how I’d handle the threat of fire taking my home

I once read an insurance industry stat that a house on average has a fire every 180 years, so don’t be so sure of that, although I’m not certain it means ANY fire or one that burns down the whole house.

redwood
    Pro

Well the good news is that the fire is now 20% contained and not increasing at the earlier rates. The bad news is that it has moved closer to me. Looks to be about 5 miles away. There are a lot of homes and a major Highway between me and the fire, so I’m assuming that the firefighters will do their best to keep the fire away from this area.

86 homes have been destroyed, at this point. Staffing has increased to over 4000. Hoping the planes and helicopters can help in the fight today. They were grounded yesterday.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

hope they get it under control

Doobie

Well the good news is that the fire is now 20% contained and not increasing at the earlier rates. The bad news is that it has moved closer to me. Looks to be about 5 miles away. There are a lot of homes and a major Highway between me and the fire, so I’m assuming that the firefighters will do their best to keep the fire away from this area.

86 homes have been destroyed, at this point. Staffing has increased to over 4000. Hoping the planes and helicopters can help in the fight today. They were grounded yesterday.

What’s the expected forecast Mark?

I can only imagine how nerve racking it must be. We had widespread power outages at Christmas time a year and a half ago, and when you find yourself days without electricity and the thought of the house and the plumbing freezing over as the temps in the house keep dropping, you just start to feel real doom and gloom like. A fire threat like your under would be a lot worse I imagine.

Right now, we have had quite a run of plenty of rain. No fires really to speak of, especially nothing what you guys a re dealing with. There was a fire here in 1947 that wiped out most of southern Maine though. There was quite a drought here at that time, so it’s definitely possible.

redwood
    Pro

We would love some rain. The first 3 days of the fire, the temps were in the 100’s and dipped to the 90’s yesterday. Today will also be in the low 90’s. Tomorrow temps are supposed to dip into the 70’s, which I’m sure the firefighters will appreciate. Winds have been lite, thank goodness.

I had actually bailed on Wed. when I heard the power was going to be out for a extended time. Since it came back on line yesterday, I returned. Things were quite changed since I left, especially the air quality. That, and most of my neighbors have gone.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t know how I’d handle the threat of fire taking my home. It’s just not something we have in the Midwest very often. Tornados and floods are much more common, and you generally don’t get much warning like I’d think you would with a wildfire.

im glad I live in Ontario, we really don’t get very much here, maybe the occasional power outage or tornado.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man that’s a scary one RW I wish I could send you some of the rain we’ve been having. Oh and the flash flooding. It’s raining right no and has been for hours.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Hope they get it under control soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Steve

@redwood, any good news on the fire today Mark? I know it’s not the way you wanted to start enjoying your retirement. It would be ulcer time for me worrying about it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I hope you aren’t around this area, this is intense.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Could you set a bunch of yard sprinklers up Mark? Turn them all on if fire gets to close?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

We would love some rain. The first 3 days of the fire, the temps were in the 100’s and dipped to the 90’s yesterday. Today will also be in the low 90’s. Tomorrow temps are supposed to dip into the 70’s, which I’m sure the firefighters will appreciate. Winds have been lite, thank goodness.

I had actually bailed on Wed. when I heard the power was going to be out for a extended time. Since it came back on line yesterday, I returned. Things were quite changed since I left, especially the air quality. That, and most of my neighbors have gone.

100’s and 90’s has to take a toll on the firefighters !

redwood
    Pro

I hope you aren’t around this area, this is intense.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/0lVPB3HI9Wg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

No, the Valley fire is another fire that is burning simultaneously. My nearby fire is the Butte fire, which is a little larger, but so far has not overrun any larger small towns. The Butte fire has destroyed at last count, 135 residences and 79 outbuildings. The area of the Butte fire is now at 71,000 acres, but 30% contained. Most of the containment is towards me.

Right now, the Valley Fire is a less controlled fire (5%containment) and has destroyed more residences. Interestingly, the Butte fire has over 3x the resources working the fire then the Valley fire. The Butte fire did start a couple of days sooner.

The drought that Calif. has been in, has caused these fires to be much more explosive then previous years.

Here is hoping that this coming winter brings more moisture to the state or these fires will only get worse.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

redwood
    Pro

And those temps are away from the fire.

Could you set a bunch of yard sprinklers up Mark? Turn them all on if fire gets to close?

I think a wild fire like this would laugh at my sprinklers.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

And those temps are away from the fire.

I think a wild fire like this would laugh at my sprinklers.

Hey Mark, you are back home I presume, do you have to take any precautions for the air quality, like in your home, I assume if you have a central air conditioning, how does it affect anything, like the filters and such.meaning the air in your home.

redwood
    Pro

Hey Mark, you are back home I presume, do you have to take any precautions for the air quality, like in your home, I assume if you have a central air conditioning, how does it affect anything, like the filters and such.meaning the air in your home.

Good question Brian, yes, I’m supposed to close all windows and I haven’t run the AC. They are also handing out free respirators to anyone that wants them at local businesses. Today, I can actually see some blue in the sky, which is a great relief.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Good question Brian, yes, I’m supposed to close all windows and I haven’t run the AC. They are also handing out free respirators to anyone that wants them at local businesses. Today, I can actually see some blue in the sky, which is a great relief.

Glad to see you are doing as good as can be. Hang in there, not sure if I can do anything from my end, except cross my fingers for you guys,

What about your water quality, do you have to use bottle water,

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.520 seconds