dcsimg

Wondering where I've been.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

I’m not sure if any of you have heard of the Butte fire, in Calif., but my new home is within 10 miles from where it originated. I was grocery shopping in Jackson, a couple of miles away, when it started.

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=1221

Anyways, it is currently 15% contained and has burned over 65000 acres. There are over 3000 fireman working on the blaze.

Luckily for me and not some others, it has primarily spread south, away from me. We are certainly not out of the woods though, as a wind change could put us back in the bulls eye. Power was out for 3 days and just restored to my house today. There are lot’s of others still without power. I’m told that the utility company is supplying us with power generated by portable generators, as one of their main hubs was in the middle of the inferno and they have no access. Unfortunately, I left my generator at my old house and everything in my freezer has perished. Live and learn, I just picked Up a new generator.

Currently it is very smokey and I’m not sure when we will see the sun again. Lot’s of ash’s, but it could be a lot worse. The smoke has grounded all aircraft, which is not good.

Needless to say, my cabinet project was put on hold.

Got my fingers crossed, maybe you folks can do the same.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Wow Mark! Very scary! Glad to hear you are safe.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Scary situation Mark. Be safe. Hopefully the winds wont change or they die down.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Scary stuff Mark, I hope they get the fire under control.

Fingers crossed in Ohio!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Scary, Mark. I hope that everything is OK.

Orange County, CA

Doobie

Sorry to hear of all this for you Mark. Hope the winds don’t change on you and the weather helps cooperate for all against the fire. Hope things normalize soon for you.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wishing the best for you Mark in such a crazy situation! Stay strong and safe

A Working Pro since 2004

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’m glad that you are okay and I hope the wind doesn’t change. I hope that the fire has run its course and dies down.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

BTP’s crew’s thoughts are with you.
    Whether it’s hurricanes or blizzards, different areas have different perils, but fire is one you can’t just ride out. It’s just plain scary.
    Maybe insurance covers freezer contents? Odor from smoke? All electronics OK after power blips? Pressure washing and other clean-up? Some regular homewners will be hiring for this – you shouldn’t be excluded because you’re involved with the trades.
    Itemize for when the worst is over, so you don’t forget anything.
    Best wishes from all of us.
    Be safe.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Glad to hear that you’re OK. Hope the wind stays south of you and all normalizes soon. Stay safe.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Best wishes for this to end safely. Our thoughts are with you. Be safe, Mark.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I told you you should have moved over here!! No fire at all.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I was just watching that on CNN this morning , glad to see you are ok .That is really scary stuff .

redwood
    Pro

Thanks for all your thoughts folks, it is appreciated.

Maybe insurance covers freezer contents? Odor from smoke? All electronics OK after power blips? Pressure washing and other clean-up? Some regular homewners will be hiring for this – you shouldn’t be excluded because you’re involved with the trades.
    Itemize for when the worst is over, so you don’t forget anything.

Unfortunately, that would probably be a mistake. Yes the insurance would probably cover those things, but in this day and age, it is very hard to get insurance in areas that are susceptible to big fires like this one. I was lucky to get reasonable home insurance here, many are not so lucky, Very few of the big name carriers will write policies in fire country. Most folks have to go through brokers and pay about 4x what I’m paying. Insurance renews every year and they do not have to renew you. Most will, once you have a policy, and you don’t make claims. You make a claim and they drop you or raise your rates. It sucks, but that is the way it is.

I’ve wondered if that is the case with other areas susceptible to natural disasters, such as hurricane prone areas. Earthquake insurance is a option here and most don’t have it, myself included. The rates are very high, as is the deductible. Unless you suffer a total loss, it probably won’t pay out.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

I told you you should have moved over here!! No fire at all.

Yea, but isn’t there issues with the earth burpin’ up lava in that neck of the woods? 😉

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Same here – depends on policy and company, but all is great until you have a claim. The it can get iffy.
    What I hate to see is when folks have have done their part paying premiums and then have an honest claim, but nickel and dime themselves down to not even meeting the deductible by not counting smaller items. It’s hard enough to prioritize at that time. You still are going to need a yard-worthy shirt and are still going to have to replace the crackers from the pantry.

Glad you and your house are safe.

Wow Mark, fingers crossed for you and your family, plus all the other people around the area.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Best of luck Mark. Hope they get it under control soon and the winds stay in your favor.

Wow Mark1!! You read about it in the paper or on the internet but it is a far away event that doesn’t touch you. Well, now it does with your perspectives and story. I pray the brave fire fighters will prevail soon and you can get back to a normal life. Be safe and best wishes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.474 seconds