dcsimg

Wipe-on-poly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Wipe-on-poly:
    I really like using this product, I like the finish several coats give and I enjoy using it. I don’t like the price!

I recalled a while ago reading that WOP is Poly with added thinner. I looked up the MSDS sheets for both and found that, yes, WOP is 70% mineral spirits and Poly is 58% (using data from Minwax for both). Doing the math, adding 40 ml of mineral spirits to 100 ml of poly will increase the concentration to 70%.

Considering a liter of WOP is $24, a liter of Poly is $19 and mineral spirits is $8 a gallon; it was a no-brainer.

I used it on a walnut table I just finished yesterday. No problem at all.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

You are getting oil based poly here in Canada? Who is still carrying that? All I can find is water based, but I use Flo-troll to thin it to make it wipe on. You have to keep stirring it as it separates fast.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

You are getting oil based poly here in Canada? Who is still carrying that? All I can find is water based, but I use Flo-troll to thin it to make it wipe on. You have to keep stirring it as it separates fast.

Home Hardware. It’s getting harder to find but it’s still out there.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Hmm…it’s everywhere Stateside.

Fwiw, I always dilute poly. It promotes penetration rather than a film finish, which can only make the poly more durable in the end.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Not in Quebec anymore. I have to drive to Ontario to get some, or go down to the states

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Hmm…it’s everywhere Stateside.

Fwiw, I always dilute poly. It promotes penetration rather than a film finish, which can only make the poly more durable in the end.

I agree. Thinner is the way to go. I have 5 coats so far on a table I’m finishing. Time for a light sand and a couple of more coats then wax.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Have any of you tried spraying the poly? A trick I always use is to spray a couple coats and lightly sand between coats and when you spray the last coat I spray on the finish and then just mist over all of it with strait thinner while the finish is still wet. Keep in mind very lightly. It will flow the poly or lacquer out just like glass . A trick I learned a long time ago from painting cars.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.398 seconds