dcsimg

Winterize?

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 213 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

We get insurance discounts for having winter tires now in Ontario.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Oh man I just came back home and it’s freakin slippery on the highway, above freezing daytime and now it’s almost -10, everything is under a thin layer of ice. I can feel the car constantly sliding sideways a minute amount, pucker factor is extremely high to say the least. Must’ve seen 6 or 7 cars in the ditch.

Next set of winter tires WILL have studs on them.

Are studded tires legal there? They certainly aren’t here. What were you driving?
    I

I don’t think they are leal here either, although if they were offered here is probably my buy them for the added traction.

Doobie

We get insurance discounts for having winter tires now in Ontario.

The province actually has recently mandated that upon the insurers to that. Not sure if it has officially taken place, but many insurers had enacted it in advance knowing they were being forced to anyways.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Oh man I just came back home and it’s freakin slippery on the highway, above freezing daytime and now it’s almost -10, everything is under a thin layer of ice. I can feel the car constantly sliding sideways a minute amount, pucker factor is extremely high to say the least. Must’ve seen 6 or 7 cars in the ditch.

Next set of winter tires WILL have studs on them.

Are studded tires legal there? They certainly aren’t here. What were you driving?

They are for three months or so during winter, but at the same time winter tires are mandatory for that period so we have to get winter tires anyway, studs or not. I was driving a civic so not the best winter car to begin with though.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Saw the same. Happy to have good winters (Blizzak) and traction control. Still was only going 80 on the 40 instead of the usual 110 or so

It wasn’t as bad when I came back at around 8, earlier at 4 it was downright scary. Even tapping on the brake to slow down on the highway would trigger ABS. 70 was the fastest I was dare to go.

Today the highway is fine, but local roads are still pretty slippery, stopping at stop sign definitely requires some planning ahead.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

A few weeks ago I almost ended up in the ditch .I took my dog for her haircut and I got caught in a freak storm with no snow tires .My truck swerved all over the road when I hit a patch of ice .I am very lucky I didn’t destroy my truck .The next day I put my snow tires on .It is a night and day difference .They should be mandatory !

A few weeks ago I almost ended up in the ditch .I took my dog for her haircut and I got caught in a freak storm with no snow tires .My truck swerved all over the road when I hit a patch of ice .I am very lucky I didn’t destroy my truck .The next day I put my snow tires on .It is a night and day difference .They should be mandatory !

They are here in quebec. We all complain about having to have them, but Im very glad to share the road where most people (out of province cars excepted) are less likely to slide into me.

And as for the extra cost, my tires last twice as long since each set only gets half as many miles put on them per year. Works out similar (except for a set of steel wheels to keep the winters on)

Doobie

They should be mandatory !

I agree. They save lives and metal.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Yes they cost more but they do save lives and if everyone has them there would be a lot less accidents .

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Nothing is as absolute as it appears. My jeep with 32″ mud tires is illegal to drive now but it will outrun any winter tires during snowstorm. Because the tread is designed to not plug up, so it doesn’t become treadless snow donut like every other winter tire does. I don’t drive it during icy days because winter tire is better on ice, but the government has deemed us too stupid to make the decision ourselves.

Doobie

My jeep with 32″ mud tires is illegal to drive now but it will outrun any winter tires during snowstorm.

I’ve never heard of mud tires. Is that rule just in Québec?

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I didnt know people still changed tires. I just assumed people in snow areas simply bought all season tires. Well thats all i do anyway

I didnt know people still changed tires. I just assumed people in snow areas simply bought all season tires. Well thats all i do anyway

All seasons are not as winter-capable as dedicated winter tires, but those are too soft in summer and will wear out real fast on soft hot bare roads.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

So…no salt on the roads or something?

My Subaru has no problems at all on the road…with Michelin Premier A/S tires. Perhaps you I should look into something better for your winter conditions?

Same here. A/S tires are more than enough to get through a foot of snow if necessary.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

yellaD
    Pro

I think a truck’s “snow” tires are basically the same as mud or off-road tires (treads). This is my first truck and when I inquired about snow tires, they recommended some Toyo mud tires.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’ve never heard of mud tires. Is that rule just in Québec?

It’s not offroad tires are illegal, it’s if any tire is to be allowed in winter it must have a government mandated (mountain and snowflake) symbol on it.

I think a truck’s “snow” tires are basically the same as mud or off-road tires (treads). This is my first truck and when I inquired about snow tires, they recommended some Toyo mud tires.

Offroad tires are formulated similar to winter tires, with soft rubber compound for more traction and deep open tread to not jam. It’s not as good as real winter tires obviously but better than 4 season car tires.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Saw the same. Happy to have good winters (Blizzak) and traction control. Still was only going 80 on the 40 instead of the usual 110 or so

It wasn’t as bad when I came back at around 8, earlier at 4 it was downright scary. Even tapping on the brake to slow down on the highway would trigger ABS. 70 was the fastest I was dare to go.

Today the highway is fine, but local roads are still pretty slippery, stopping at stop sign definitely requires some planning ahead.

i think you guys out in quebec get more ice then we do in ontario. The conditions that hit you guys haven’t really touched us. It’s been cold but very little ice.

Doobie

People in Northern Ontario and the Provinceof Québec are required by law to have winter tires. There has been talk in the past to extend that in Ontario accross the province, but it still hasn’t happened.

I have to admit, people in the Toronto area probably don’t need it, but there are lots of places in southern Ontario that need it that regularly get lots of snow.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

People in Northern Ontario and the Provinceof Québec are required by law to have winter tires. There has been talk in the past to extend that in Ontario accross the province, but it still hasn’t happened.

I have to admit, people in the Toronto area probably don’t need it, but there are lots of places in southern Ontario that need it that regularly get lots of snow.

I’ve got a set of winter tires for both mine and my wife’s vehicle. Swap them out religiously in my drive each season.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ve got a set of winter tires for both mine and my wife’s vehicle. Swap them out religiously in my drive each season.

same with me, i’ve driven in winter with allseasons and they are not safe. I used to drive for my company with all seasons and trust me you want winter tires. It is a huge difference between driving and skidding to where you want to go.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 213 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.448 seconds