dcsimg

Winter Weather Survival Gear

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 273 total)
  • Author

Snowboarding… sounds familiar. Thats the one where you sit in the snow at the top of the mountain wearing a stupid hat, right?

Hahaha, you tell him. :p

Snowboarding does seem easier on the body, you are actually bending in directions your joints are meant to. But I just can’t warm up to the idea of voluntarily giving up the balance of having two legs instead of one. Besides, it doesn’t look fun in moguls.

Lol what hat, I snowboard bare!!!! You are right, the board sucks in moguls, doesn’t mean i didn’t go on em. I was following a bunch of friends who are skiiers, they went in to the moguls and so did it. I regretted it all the way down lol.

There are a couple of guys (and a girl) running carving boards at the local hill, they look really fun, and the good ones are pretty mesmerizing to watch too. I keep meaning to try boarding but then figured I’d better ski well first.

The boarders I skied with tend to just follow the trough in moguls, but that’s on natural ones, not the seeded competition that I can barely manage, then tend to avoid those. 😀

I’m getting depressed now. Winter is coming and all that. Let’s enjoy what remains of summer first!

But I do want to get back on the hills again one day – on skis. Don’t want to learn something new, and don’t have the spare time or inclination to want to do both.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’m getting depressed now. Winter is coming and all that. Let’s enjoy what remains of summer first!

But I do want to get back on the hills again one day – on skis. Don’t want to learn something new, and don’t have the spare time or inclination to want to do both.

Hehe, yep yep definitely enjoy summer while it lasts, especially consider how cold this year is, both summer and winter. What year is your gears from? When you do, you probably should go for all new set instead of using any of the old ones.

Hehe, yep yep definitely enjoy summer while it lasts, especially consider how cold this year is, both summer and winter. What year is your gears from? When you do, you probably should go for all new set instead of using any of the old ones.

Need new boots and jacket/pants but the skis are about 15 years old and fine. My poles are what saved my life when I had my accident, so even bent a bit, dented, and 25 years old, I won’t be skiing without them

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Need new boots and jacket/pants but the skis are about 15 years old and fine. My poles are what saved my life when I had my accident, so even bent a bit, dented, and 25 years old, I won’t be skiing without them

At that age you won’t find a shop who will work on the bindings since it’s probably no longer indemnified. But it could be a safety issue too if the DIN settings are no longer accurate and plastic has weakened (some will literally blow apart). You can pick up a new set pretty cheap during end of season sale and not worth the risk of further injury to use the old ones. Besides, ski design has changed a lot in the last 15 years, you might be pleasantly surprised.

At that age you won’t find a shop who will work on the bindings since it’s probably no longer indemnified. But it could be a safety issue too if the DIN settings are no longer accurate and plastic has weakened (some will literally blow apart). You can pick up a new set pretty cheap during end of season sale and not worth the risk of further injury to use the old ones. Besides, ski design has changed a lot in the last 15 years, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Good point. Though for the number of times I get out, i may just rent for now.

I can’t believe i just wrote that

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

The problem with rental is they are soft floppy noodles that can not hold the force generated by their 11 meter sidecut.

But once you get your kid skiing, you have to haul them to the hill anyway, don’t be one of those parents who sit in the lodge and read for hours lol.

The problem with rental is they are soft floppy noodles that can not hold the force generated by their 11 meter sidecut.

But once you get your kid skiing, you have to haul them to the hill anyway, don’t be one of those parents who sit in the lodge and read for hours lol.

Never!

The 4 seasons we have here are

1. almost winter
    2. Winter
    3. Still winter
    4. Road construction

1. almost winter
    2. Winter
    3. Still winter
    4. Road construction

Thankfully, in Quebec we have 6
    1. Winter Already?
    2. Winter
    3. I can’t take anymore damn Winter
    4. Construction
    5. Construction Holiday (two weeks of Summer)
    6. Construction Again

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

There’s usually a few days of “holy crap it’s hot” around #5.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

OMG, lol. I’m seeing Winter coming too soon every time I see this thread. Just can’t roll with it yet. Anyways, I have my Bosch Heated 12v jacket lined up. It held up perfectly last Season. I did wear a Dickies Windbreaker overtop when I was cutting brick and dirty jobs. Best thing about Fall coming is that I get to Sport the Heated Jacket. Would still be neat to control the temp via bluetooth or something.

A Working Pro since 2004

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Winter always comes way too quickly, but also means hunting season is just around the corner, and winter is when i make my best money of the year! Luckily, i spend most of it in a truck, with the heater cranked, so i really don’t need to dress too crazy, just sweat pants and warm shirt under my fr coveralls, but i have a big helly hanson parka for chaining up, or when i need to be out in -30 for more than a few minutes. And a good hardhat liner. Helly hanson makes really nice cold weather gear, see lots of it in oil patch in the winter.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Hehe, winter isn’t bad if you have something to look forward to, going to try a new crosscountry trail when it rolls around.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Hehe, winter isn’t bad if you have something to look forward to, going to try a new crosscountry trail when it rolls around.

winter should be fun, I bought a 4×4 for that reason and we have the heated jackets to warm us up. I am also looking forward to some ice fishing and skating this year.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

winter should be fun, I bought a 4×4 for that reason and we have the heated jackets to warm us up. I am also looking forward to some ice fishing and skating this year.

Tried ice fishing once, bored out of my mind. But then again I could never sit for more than an hour during spring/fall fishing either. Personally I prefer crosscountry skiing over skating, at least you are not making circles over and over and over and over.

Doobie

Tried ice fishing once, bored out of my mind.

It was just a reason to get drunk with buddies when I was younger for me. Boring otherwise. Even the fish seemed bored.

1. almost winter
    2. Winter
    3. Still winter
    4. Road construction

Thankfully, in Quebec we have 6
    1. Winter Already?
    2. Winter
    3. I can’t take anymore damn Winter
    4. Construction
    6. Construction Again

Lmao that’s so true.

Doobie

That you guys in Quebec are lucky on. Here, it just goes all summer. I don’t think there’s been a year in decades that the 401 highway hasn’t had long stretches for long periods under construction during the summer months in Toronto.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

1. almost winter
    2. Winter
    3. Still winter
    4. Tick season

FIFY

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Tried ice fishing once, bored out of my mind.

It was just a reason to get drunk with buddies when I was younger for me. Boring otherwise. Even the fish seemed bored.

well that is a part of it, as well as eating good food and just relaxing. sometimes you just need to relax with a beer and friends doing something you don’t normally get.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 273 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.407 seconds