dcsimg

Winter Sucks!

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Dfdc
    Pro

Tomorrow will be the 3rd -30C (-22F) day in a row and ill be running around servicing Roof Top Units muttering “I love my job”. Anyone else stuck working in the grunt of winter? At least i get to stick my head in the units when Im up there.

do a good job and put pride in your work, that is cold-brrrrrrrrr

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

couldnt agree more.. im currently prepping a house for cedar shingles.. we have to blueskin around all the windows and roof to wall junctions. this means primer. the bloody primer is freezing before it sets up so the membrane wont stick properly.. and we have to back caulk behind the shingles where they meet windows.. the caulking is too cold to come outta the gun.. un opened tubes are left near a heater inside but once the tubes open it sits in the gun right next to us..

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

We’re still out in the cold – I always try to get indoors if possibly – just hasnt happened yet. Been spoiled with the past few mild winters.

What do you guys do to keep your glues, caulking from freezing?

Any special clothing or boots you recommend? I love the Arborwear stuff, durable and warm

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

Man we had -20 + wind chills today , being outside is usually my faveorite place to be , but not today after 3 hours my fingers wouldn’t work anymore . Felt like I’m getting to old for this . This is the coldest winter we’ve had in a decade .

With regards to keeping the caulking etc. from freezing, you could use one of the plug in cooler type units (with the option to heat it), a bit of a pain to have to plug in etc., and depending on temperature, not sure how cold they will operate in. I’m in Saskatchewan, and we have had a week or so of -30 C plus the wind, so not sure if any type of cooler would stand up to that. Like someone else mentioned, best to try and move indoors!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

When it gets cold here in Minnesota and we need to keep caulk,etc warm I just put a light in an old cooler and place the caulk in the cooler also. It does not take a very large bulb to keep the inside of a cooler at 70 degrees. The first time I did it I used a 100 wat bulb and it almost melted the inside of the cooler and bottoms popped off the caulk tubes. now I use a 40 watt and still have to turn it off every so often if the cooler does not get opened a lot.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

for keeping caulking warm we do a few things.. the case gets set near a 220 v heater. and we keep a tube nearby thats under the halogen lamp which is something we typically do with batterys and chargers as well because they wont charge if their cold

as for keeping myself warm.. t-max socks which are super lightweight thermal socks sold by marks work wearhouse, then i wear under armour arctic as my base layer.. very thin very light and warm , from there a wool sweater and a thermal hoodie and if its windy a columbia titanium shell. also wear thermal fleec pants under my overalls

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

It has been around – 20 c here in Belgrave Ontario and I love being outside no matter how cold it is .
    I will take the cold anytime over the heat . One thing I have noticed is the colder it is the better the pictures look .

while i love my smartwool socks for everyday use…. i have some “darn tough” socks (literal brand name) that are awesome – they will last forever… and even if they tear, etc… the company promises lifetime guarantee…. pretty good deal (but a bit pricey for socks – $15 for a pair)

John S

Bottom line – winter still sucks!!

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

lol robert.. so does working in the rain when its +2 degrees celcius.. just above freezing…. 3 soaked hoodies, 5 pairs of gloves.. boots and nail bag all hanging up tonight drying out

Winter does bring a damper on my side jobs
    I do get some but not as much as spring and summer
    I’m overworked on this months. But I love it

i think we are finally through the worst of winter… i hope

John S

woodman_412

That’s what I was saying to a guy on site the other day…starting to feel like spring. Got up this morning and 6 inches of snow fell last night so who knows. We can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel though.

As far as shop work goes I love the winter because you can keep the temperature and humidity exactly where you want it very easily. The summer is always a battle with temp and humidity.

Dan

danpattison.com

I respect all you guys who put up with the winter grind. I try to catch up on estimates I fell behind on but I am old school for estimating. I would really like to find a simple software for estimating remodeling projects,all phases. I heard exactimate was pretty good. I would greatly appreciate all your imputs.

Thanks in advance

It will be in the 40’s in Michigan from this Friday onward, so not only nice(r) temp, but that snow should slowly disappear!

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

its coming to a end here now.. only problem is all the snow is melting and the yards of the homes im working on are nothing but mud…. a total mess

woodman_412

That’s the thing I don’t like about the spring is all the mud. I can’t usually back right up to my shop in the spring because the ground goes soft and the truck just rips up the grass and turns it into a mess. It always sucks wading through deep mud on site too and trying to keep everything decently clean.

Dan

danpattison.com

I hadn’t lived in a “real” winter until this past year… and I am glad to finally start to see some green grass for the first time in many, many months… but I do agree that the mud is a MESS

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.557 seconds