dcsimg

Windows 10

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m going to wait a little while until I get more feedback. I have a couple of old laptops I want to convert though. Maybe I’ll play around with them first as guinea pigs.

Your going to have to make up your mind MaukaRunner. lol

Montreal_Medic Thanks Eric! Logging on to Microsoft now to download Windows 10. Lets see if I can get it to work on my laptops.

That’s what I thought too,, I think he’s going into politics??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I’m going to wait a little while until I get more feedback. I have a couple of old laptops I want to convert though. Maybe I’ll play around with them first as guinea pigs.

Your going to have to make up your mind MaukaRunner. lol

Montreal_Medic Thanks Eric! Logging on to Microsoft now to download Windows 10. Lets see if I can get it to work on my laptops.

Sorry for the confusion. I have five computers which we use daily. I’m not going to upgrade those just yet. But I also have a couple of old laptops which I don’t care if the software messes them up as they are not our main machines. Those I want to use as guinea pigs to play with Windows 10 on.

I’ve installed Windows 10 on one of them and will install the other one tonight.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have been a long time XP user and only when forced went to 7.
    I have taken MS free upgrade to 10 on one of my laptops to test drive it.
    So far it has been fine, faster than 7.

I have already created the repair DVD and the Install DVD. Ran a program “Belarc Advisor” that gives me a run down of what is installed on my machine and what the “KEYS” are.
    I will re-install 10 fresh now that I have the KEY. I am not partial on upgrades as all the junk from the prior install is still on my PC.

I will most likely do the upgrade on my wife’s machine after I test a clean install on mine.

what do you think, should I build a HTPC or just get a mac mini and be done with the whole thing. Or now that I am seeing this how does the NUC work ?

HTPC, definitely. If you can figure out how to access it remotely with your phone, golden.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have already created the repair DVD and the Install DVD. Ran a program “Belarc Advisor” that gives me a run down of what is installed on my machine and what the “KEYS” are.
    I will re-install 10 fresh now that I have the KEY. I am not partial on upgrades as all the junk from the prior install is still on my PC.

I will most likely do the upgrade on my wife’s machine after I test a clean install on mine.

what do you think, should I build a HTPC or just get a mac mini and be done with the whole thing. Or now that I am seeing this how does the NUC work ?

Well you know my opinion on MAC. 🙁
    Build the HTPC and be done with it or stick to Ubuntu.

Posting this from my phone, my laptop hard drive has decided to die this morning.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Sorry for the confusion. I have five computers which we use daily. I’m not going to upgrade those just yet. But I also have a couple of old laptops which I don’t care if the software messes them up as they are not our main machines. Those I want to use as guinea pigs to play with Windows 10 on.

I’ve installed Windows 10 on one of them and will install the other one tonight.

OK, I just have to ask. Why would you need 5-7 computers in a home?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

You can’t go wrong either way. Go mac if you have or plan to have other apple products. The advantage of mac is mostly that it plays nice with other macs – better than any other.

Besides that, they are all good enough to do the job, with some better than others

I don’t suggest a Linux box if you don’t know Linux though. I spent many hours fixing and re-fixing drivers and such on my old Linux installs. If you like tinkering constantly, Linux can be fun, but my free time is worth too much to me now. Rather buy windows or Mac and be mostly done with it.

OK, I just have to ask. Why would you need 5-7 computers in a home?

My wife, son and myself have desktop computers. We have a computer in the kitchen for my wife and my son has a Mac Book Pro for school. On top of the two old laptops. I also get a lot of old computers from people. Didn’t count the ones I have in my attic. Would be closer to 10 if those were counted.

At one time in my career, I was working on computers and it’s also a hobby. I help a lot of friends out with their computers and sometimes parts from the old computers helps fix or upgrade to keep it running a little while longer.

Check out this video. These are the newest version. One generation newer than the ones I’ve built. If you buy the NUC which can also use a 2.5″ hard drive it would be a great HTPC.

Found about this yesterday.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-goes-freemium-with-paid-apps-1301155

Guess the adage is true. No such thing as a free lunch. At least the basic operating system may be good enough for people. I’ve read in another site even the DVD player software would be a charge.

I’m going to keep Windows 7 on my main computers for now.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-goes-freemium-with-paid-apps-1301155

Guess the adage is true. No such thing as a free lunch. At least the basic operating system may be good enough for people. I’ve read in another site even the DVD player software would be a charge.

Meh, over exaggerating article and misuse of “freemium”, it’s not like they ask you to pay $10 so you can delete files or $20 so you can get admin privilege. You don’t have to buy the he additional apps, and it’s not like office was ever available for free.

Heck it’s windows, you can install whatever you have on your current desktop and there are tons of alternatives out there, it’s why I went windows tablet instead of android/ipad, I can still run capcom emulator that was designed for win 95/98 on 8.1 (but doesn’t really work without a keyboard lol).

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@MaukaRunner,
    Win 8.1 does not come with a DVD Player. At least VLC still works, even on Win 10.

So far it has been pretty good on my one machine that I DL’d it to.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Me too. Most sites are recommending Windows 7 users to hold off until all the changes are done.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Well my laptop is win 7, I’ll let you guys know if it’s safe to upgrade when it’s my turn.

Thanks for the link on this. Luckily my laptop came with a DVD player installed. After about a week now on V10, no issues so far except the new Edge browser does not work directly with my password manager, RoboForm. I can use it in Chrome though. Note that Internet Explorer has been totally removed by the upgrade.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I downloaded 10 the other night. So far, so good. I am not overly techie so for me it hasn’t made much difference. I think if you have a touchscreen, it would be nice.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

You can’t go wrong either way. Go mac if you have or plan to have other apple products. The advantage of mac is mostly that it plays nice with other macs – better than any other.

Besides that, they are all good enough to do the job, with some better than others

I don’t suggest a Linux box if you don’t know Linux though. I spent many hours fixing and re-fixing drivers and such on my old Linux installs. If you like tinkering constantly, Linux can be fun, but my free time is worth too much to me now. Rather buy windows or Mac and be mostly done with it.

I’ve had 2 mac laptops and a mac mini and ipods and iphones but I can’t say I will stay with them after this laptop dies. I am open to building a desktop and the nuc looks really interesting.

Check out this video. These are the newest version. One generation newer than the ones I’ve built. If you buy the NUC which can also use a 2.5″ hard drive it would be a great HTPC.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/YPe_RyXcsCA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

thanks for the video, this looks promising, I am just curious as to the price of these things.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

My laptop is upgrading as we speak, it’s one of those shitty underpowered netbooks (remember those before tablets?) from several years back, will see how it works.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Almost done. Note after the restart, it’ll ask you if you want to use express setting. If you choose to customize (very small link so you have to look for it), you can choose to not let windows sending stuff to Microsoft and leave your default programs alone.

thanks for the video, this looks promising, I am just curious as to the price of these things.

Look at mid to high $600 for a Core i5 NUC build unless you have a lot of the parts lying around.

There’s a NUC which can take both a SATA 2.5″ hard drive and a mSATA solid state drive. I build one that way with the 2.5″ HD. Had a extra one lying around after upgrading my son’s PS3. Was tiny, though at 128 GB but it it more than enough for my wife’s kitchen PC.

You may want this model for a HTPC though as you can use the mSATA for the OS and a large TB HD for movie storage.

Mine was pretty cheap since I only had to buy the NUC, RAM and a wireless card. Could forgo the wireless card and use the USB ports for the input devices but I wanted to use a Mac wireless keyboard since it’s compact.

Somebody mentioned why not get a regular PC.

This is why.

I have a wall mount TV which is in between our kitchen and dining room. The dining room and kitchen are separated by a counter, stove and enclosure where our refrigerator is located.

She can turn the TV towards her for cooking and we can swivel it for when we eat dinner.

Initially I had a small tower PC. Had to put it on the floor in the dining room. It was a pain since to turn it on she had to walk around to turn it on.

Took that PC and bought a small desktop case. It worked but the computer was outdated and sucked a lot of electricity. Looked to replace it and the front runner was the Mac Mini. Good thing I procrastinated and saw the NUC. It was out a year before I got mine but when I found out about it the second generation had just come out and it was a great improvement so that’s the one I got.

I know the price is high, but for me the compactness is more than worth the cost.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.695 seconds