dcsimg

Windows 10

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 237 total)
  • Author

Upgraded 2 laptops and no problems so far. Things seem a little faster. Glad to be away from the Windows 8.1 desktop setup. Not sold on the Edge browser yet.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’ve been thinking about upgrading as well. Just haven’t decided yet. I guess for free, it may be worth the trouble, I just don’t know.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think the free deal is going to last at least a year, so you’ll have time to decide. I always wait a while until things settle out and they work out the bugs. Of course I have Windows 7 which I really like.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I think the free deal is going to last at least a year, so you’ll have time to decide. I always wait a while until things settle out and they work out the bugs. Of course I have Windows 7 which I really like.

I haven’t seen that confirmed formally yet. Might be worth downloading and noting the key, even if you don’t install. That way, you “reserved” a free copy

Or, I might be over-thinking this

Doobie

I haven’t seen that confirmed formally yet. Might be worth downloading and noting the key, even if you don’t install. That way, you “reserved” a free copy

But isn’t it reliant on when you activate it? Meaning even if you download it during the free period, you have to activate it within the free period or X amount of days afterwards it is no longer free. I vaguely recall such when I upgraded some of my PCs to WIN8 for their cheap $40 intro upgrade price. You had to do it within so many days.

Btw, was there a Windows 9? Or did they just skip that version altogether? I don’t recall ever hearing of one.

But isn’t it reliant on when you activate it? Meaning even if you download it during the free period, you have to activate it within the free period or X amount of days afterwards it is no longer free. I vaguely recall such when I upgraded some of my PCs to WIN8 for their cheap $40 intro upgrade price. You had to do it within so many days.

Btw, was there a Windows 9? Or did they just skip that version altogether? I don’t recall ever hearing of one.

They skipped it.

Too many old programs looked at OS version to check compatibility.

If the OS version showed Win9 or Windows9, it errored out saying Win95 and Win98 are nolonger supported.

It was easier than expecting everyone to fix that particular bug, especially considering how much old software is long past being updated

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

How much would it be to buy windows 10 outright? I am contemplating a HTPC set up and was curious if it would be cheap to buy, otherwise i’d have to stick with linux.

Doobie

They skipped it.

Too many old programs looked at OS version to check compatibility.

If the OS version showed Win9 or Windows9, it errored out saying Win95 and Win98 are nolonger supported.

It was easier than expecting everyone to fix that particular bug, especially considering how much old software is long past being updated

Thanks. That makes a little sense.

How much would it be to buy windows 10 outright? I am contemplating a HTPC set up and was curious if it would be cheap to buy, otherwise i’d have to stick with linux.

I think it’s free for everyone if I’m not mistaken.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Windows 10 Home $120

Windows 10 Pro $140

You can buy through Microsoft or somewhere like Best Buy too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Windows 10 Home $120

Windows 10 Pro $140

You can buy through Microsoft or somewhere like Best Buy too.

You can get a copy of Windows 7 cheaper and upgrade for free. That is the route I’m looking at since I have a couple of Windows XP laptops I want to convert. Amazon is selling a refurbished computer Win 7 disk for about $72. Hope the key will work for the upgrade.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Refurbished disc? How does that work lol. If it’s been used/registered already you might have some trouble.

Refurbished disc? How does that work lol. If it’s been used/registered already you might have some trouble.

It’s a Windows 7 copy for use when refurbishing a computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-Builder-Refurbished-Installation/dp/B00LG0K4MM/ref=sr_1_2?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1438705632&sr=1-2&keywords=windows+7

From the reviews I’ve read it’s supposed to be the same as an OEM disk. Activation key is supposed to be new, unless they are selling bootleg copies, which I don’t think Amazon would allow. Ebay maybe but not Amazon.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Ah, should be fine then. If it doesn’t you will be covered by amazon anyway.

I hope so. Haven’t had that kind of problem yet. Bought many Windows 7 disks from them but not a “refurbished computer” one, yet.

I will get it once it comes out. Cannot be worse than windows 8

I hope so. Haven’t had that kind of problem yet. Bought many Windows 7 disks from them but not a “refurbished computer” one, yet.

Nothing to it. Refurbished 7 licenses are a real thing
    http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/refurbisher_programs.aspx#fbid=K2h6gIQcGt2
    And if the specific vendor is not above board, Amazon will deal with it and take care of you

Nothing to it. Refurbished 7 licenses are a real thing
    http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/refurbisher_programs.aspx#fbid=K2h6gIQcGt2
    And if the specific vendor is not above board, Amazon will deal with it and take care of you

Awesome, Thanks for the info Eric. I’ll pickup a couple of licenses soon. I think $72 is the cheapest I’ve seen single licenses.

You can get a copy of Windows 7 cheaper and upgrade for free. That is the route I’m looking at since I have a couple of Windows XP laptops I want to convert. Amazon is selling a refurbished computer Win 7 disk for about $72. Hope the key will work for the upgrade.

You might have some compatibility issues on something as old as running WinXP. The Windows site might have some software to run to check on that.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Well, I did the whole let me know when Windows 10 is available thing, so we will see what happens. My machine on Windows 7 has been a little pain lately, maybe it will help things run smoother. I still have to wait for them to let me know when the upgrade is available. We’ll see what happens.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have been a long time XP user and only when forced went to 7.
    I have taken MS free upgrade to 10 on one of my laptops to test drive it.
    So far it has been fine, faster than 7.

I have already created the repair DVD and the Install DVD. Ran a program “Belarc Advisor” that gives me a run down of what is installed on my machine and what the “KEYS” are.
    I will re-install 10 fresh now that I have the KEY. I am not partial on upgrades as all the junk from the prior install is still on my PC.

I will most likely do the upgrade on my wife’s machine after I test a clean install on mine.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.678 seconds