dcsimg

Windows 10

Viewing 17 posts - 221 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

How did you do it Frank?

@theamcguy,
    Bill here ya go…

Right click on the tack bar at the bottom of your screen.
    Tap on Task Manager
    Find the Cortana service
    Right click on it and click on Open File Location
    Explorer will open with the folder highlighted
    Right click on the folder and near the bottom is “Rename”
    just add .bak to the end but do not click OK just yet
    go back to Task Manager, right click on Cortana and “End Task”
    Then you need to go back to the rename screen and click OK.
    you might need to do this a few times to rename it before the service restarts.

It took me about 4-5 times before I was able to rename the folder before the service restarted.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

How did you do it Frank?

@theamcguy,
    Bill here ya go…

Right click on the tack bar at the bottom of your screen.
    Tap on Task Manager
    Find the Cortana service
    Right click on it and click on Open File Location
    Explorer will open with the folder highlighted
    Right click on the folder and near the bottom is “Rename”
    just add .bak to the end but do not click OK just yet
    go back to Task Manager, right click on Cortana and “End Task”
    Then you need to go back to the rename screen and click OK.
    you might need to do this a few times to rename it before the service restarts.

It took me about 4-5 times before I was able to rename the folder before the service restarted.

Thanks, Frank, I’ve got it saved.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

KenW
    Pro

Guess I’m either not quick enough, or the above solution didn’t work for me. Each time I navigate off the rename page the program finishes the rename process and tells me unable to complete due to being open in another place. By the time I end task on cortana it boots back up before I can rename again. LOL.

KenW
    Pro
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I was able to disable her by following this information on pcworld.com

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949759/windows/killing-cortana-how-to-disable-windows-10s-info-hungry-digital-assistant.html

@kenw,
    If you followed those instructions, I bet that Cortana is still running in the background.
    open up Task Manager and check. I did these changes but it still runs in the background. She will just jot ask you stuff. LOL

— Glenn Botting

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

anyone else have windows 10 make your computer not recognize your printer at all? it did to me…..however it fix my cd rom issue

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

anyone else have windows 10 make your computer not recognize your printer at all? it did to me…..however it fix my cd rom issue

Sounds like you need to install an updated printer driver for your printer Jeff and away you go – at least I hope that does the trick. Windows 10 installed just fine for me and I have been running it for a number of months with no issues. I just hate the sneaky automatic update that reboots your computer when you are working on it. I know I can turn that off but I’d rather not.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

If your printer is old enough the manufacturer may not release any new driver for win 10. You may be able to use the driver for older version of windows but you’ll have to decompress the installation file and manually install them with device manager.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I just hate the sneaky automatic update that reboots your computer when you are working on it. I know I can turn that off but I’d rather not.

You actually can’t turn auto update off anymore. The only choices are to let it restart automatically or let you decide when.

There’s a way to disable to it if you have the pro version I think.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I am fortunate enough to have an HP printer and Win 10 even found it on my network and had no issues with installing drivers.

— Glenn Botting

Kamster
    Pro

I just hate the sneaky automatic update that reboots your computer when you are working on it. I know I can turn that off but I’d rather not.

You actually can’t turn auto update off anymore. The only choices are to let it restart automatically or let you decide when.

There’s a way to disable to it if you have the pro version I think.

Windows 10 Pro lets you schedule the time that you want updates to be installed. Also, If you change to a metered connection setting then you can prevent updates from happening until you switch back to a standard connection

See here for more info:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/223068/what-you-need-to-know-about-windows-update-on-windows-10/

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

The catch is you can only set WiFi to metered connection, not hard wired, including USB tether off your phone which has expensive over limit charges.

Not sure what the heck MS is thinking, they can’t be that stupid and missed it.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Early on when i first installed the one thing I did get rid of was One Drive. Last thing I wanted was to have stuff uploaded to the cloud.

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Early on when i first installed the one thing I did get rid of was One Drive. Last thing I wanted was to have stuff uploaded to the cloud.

i am surprised you haven’t set up your own personal cloud so that everything gets uploaded to a nas drive in your house.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

i am surprised you haven’t set up your own personal cloud so that everything gets uploaded to a nas drive in your house.

I don’t even download the pictures off my camera anymore. I fill up a SD Card and put it away, drop a new one in.
    I really don’t have a lot on my computer to necessitate a NAS Drive.
    Computer is primarily used for surfing the net, that’s it.

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t even download the pictures off my camera anymore. I fill up a SD Card and put it away, drop a new one in.

my nas drive is mainly for 4k videos as well as my collection of photos. With the 4k gopro it tends to eat up quite a bit of space. if you end up editing more video, maybe you’ll need a nas drive to store the edits.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

my nas drive is mainly for 4k videos as well as my collection of photos. With the 4k gopro it tends to eat up quite a bit of space. if you end up editing more video, maybe you’ll need a nas drive to store the edits.

What ever I have edited and uploaded, I no longer keep on a local drive. No longer needed, when it’s up on the net. 🙂

— Glenn Botting

Viewing 17 posts - 221 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.559 seconds