dcsimg

Window stool router bit

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  TopNotch 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Does anyone use one in the field?

I looked under the rewards and didn’t see the specific style I’m looking for. It’s a combined round over with convex underside.

When I do window trim I would prefer to router the returns of the sill/stool over mitering. Even if it’s across the grain. A little sand paper works fine.

I would have to clamp down an edge guide since there is no possibility of a bearing.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve used one a few times when trying to match the original stool profile. It works out pretty well with the edge guide that pairs with my MC23 Bosch router.

Because of the lack of a bearing, I generally use a roundover bit though.

This Infinity is what I use: https://www.infinitytools.com/window-sill-router-bits-4062

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Thanks that looks like the profile. I’m sure a clamp and a speed square would easily do the trick.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Thanks that looks like the profile. I’m sure a clamp and a speed square would easily do the trick.

A router table would be my preference, but that’s not very practical for site work! Does your router have an edge guide? I’m not following how a speed square would work on the front edge of the stool…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Is the stool and sill the same thing? Or does the stool go under the sill and sometimes called the skirt?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

if your using a stool profile bit without a bearing pretty sure you have to use a router table.. its a larger profile which needs the more powerful router

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

redwood
    Pro

Yes you really need a router table for that kind of bit. I’d be hesitant using a edge guide.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Freud 99-462

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Freud 99-462

Thanks I book marked it. I use this profile with 5/4 so I will check which one.

Such a small swipe on each piece but adds a quality outcome.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.624 seconds