dcsimg

Window code proposal

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Skillman 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Just saw this section. There are things we see that are a bad idea in construction and should be addressed in the code.

One thing I see a lot of are window installations. Too much modern construction use plastic windows with flanges. A code should be made to provide trim to these type of products. I see these products as a lower lifespan and to have these flanges buried behind a stucco or stone veneer finish is a nightmare to replace and flash with inevitable retrofits.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Even our wood and aluminum clad windows have flanges, it is not just the vinyl or fiberglass. replacing them at a later date will become more difficult and expensive. Flashed properly, there should be a fairly decent life span for them.

T

If flashing is done correctly I don’t ever have problems with failure due to install . On the other hand i do have a problem with built in j-channel . Trying to get a company now to replace there units now . Do to them breaking and bowing out .

Don’t want to say company name due to dealing with them and the read online .

Always willing to learn .

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

An exterior casing would allow access to the flanges and provide wiggle room to slide flashing’s under house wraps and layers without cutting into siding.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

An exterior casing would allow access to the flanges and provide wiggle room to slide flashing’s under house wraps and layers without cutting into siding.

I believe Anderson does that . I priced it out couple years ago . Not sure if they still do that .

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

all of the points made are very good. the advantage of the nailing flange is to get a better seal both against water leaks but air tightness using flashing tapes. the point about the anderson windows having a integrated casing would be awesome if it became a industry standard.. say a casing that clicks in place over the flange or something

i personally hate j’d out windows for the exact reason brought up. their more delicate

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

And I think the Windows would look better. Win win

I can people reducing the size of replacement Windows to fit making egress problems.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

You make a good argument. I have personally never had to replace a window on a building that I couldn’t pull the siding back, but I can see how that scenario would be next to impossible to deal with. The replacement is obviously possible, but a bunch of custom trim work would likely be needed to make it all look good again.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kixnbux
    Pro

I install the flanged vinyl all the time. I flash then trim out with wood. Takes very little time to get it done right. Looks good too

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Yeah it doesn’t have to be the Anderson product that snaps on it could be cedar, azek, pine painted anything that allows you access to remove another component.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Yeah it doesn’t have to be the Anderson product that snaps on it could be cedar, azek, pine painted anything that allows you access to remove another component.

Something like a key way lock or half lap joint around frame . To seal right and easy dis attach for repair .

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Something like a key way lock or half lap joint around frame . To seal right and easy dis attach for repair .

I don’t think the Andersen applied casings are meant to come off. Speaking of such, I installed a vinyl sliding door a couple weeks ago. We found out that the fixed panel is impossible to remove from the frame without removing the frame. If that ever breaks, the homeowner is so screwed.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I don’t think the Andersen applied casings are meant to come off. Speaking of such, I installed a vinyl sliding door a couple weeks ago. We found out that the fixed panel is impossible to remove from the frame without removing the frame. If that ever breaks, the homeowner is so screwed.

Exactly…..Im seeing a rash of cheaply built home around here with these ugly plan Jane vinyl window from box stores. Then stone veneers right up to the window, Im sure they are not flashed properly either. A simple 1×3 box frame would at least provide a retrofit option later.

Im also seeing a trend with “Praire grills” in the glass as opposed to 6 over 6 or my personal favorite 6 over 1.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Yay I don’t remember the exact details . Just my guy at the yard telling me about them . Those units are going to be trouble for sure .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.550 seconds