dcsimg

Windmill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    staker
    Pro

A neat grinding mill for making flour.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is a great video and very informative . I have never seen how they work before until now .Pretty cool .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thank you for posting the informative video.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I had never seen that process before and had no idea that was the purpose of the windmills. Thanks for posting.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I always thought their only purpose was to produce power , I never knew they ran mills from them .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I always thought their only purpose was to produce power , I never knew they ran mills from them .

Same here, I though there purpose was to create power??

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The original mills purpose was to typically grind flour or to pump water. Windmills generating electricity is relatively new in their history. Going back a hundred years or less, it was not uncommon to see a windmill pumping water into a remote stock tank in a remote area. A 6′ diameter windmill or so could pump a lot of water. It converted the wind energy directly into mechanical energy. In many cases now, the wind energy is converted to electricity then back to mechanical to run a motor. Back in the day, they just skipped a step for efficiency. The kicker was that if they wind was not blowing, they got the day off!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The original mills purpose was to typically grind flour or to pump water. Windmills generating electricity is relatively new in their history. Going back a hundred years or less, it was not uncommon to see a windmill pumping water into a remote stock tank in a remote area. A 6′ diameter windmill or so could pump a lot of water. It converted the wind energy directly into mechanical energy. In many cases now, the wind energy is converted to electricity then back to mechanical to run a motor. Back in the day, they just skipped a step for efficiency. The kicker was that if they wind was not blowing, they got the day off!

That’s right. The water wheels were often used to run wood shops. The water was a lot more reliable.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

yup yup the reason they are called windMILLS, those that create electricity are properly called wind turbines

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Neat video! There is a working grist mill in my town (Sudbury, MA) run by a water wheel, built by Henry Ford, that still operates. You can go and watch them grinding flour. Cool to see another setup.

Clev08
    Pro

Same here, I though there purpose was to create power??

Windmills are used to harness wind energy, whatever you do with the energy is up to you!
    I’ve seen a windmill used as a well pump before, not sure if it was still operational though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.490 seconds