dcsimg

Windfall of Cedar

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author

MrFid wrote:

cranbrook2 wrote:

58Chev wrote:
    Nice score on the cedar, can’t wait to see the Adirondack chairs you build.

Wear a dust mask cutting the cedar so you don’t get sick like I did.

Every time I cut cedar without a mask I feel like my heart is about to jump out of my chest. Definitely wear a mask.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

One of the best qualities of Cedar is the smell, no? Would be a shame to get rid of it or not take advantage of this unique characteristic. I have no idea if shou-sugi-ban would hegate the smell in any way….

Yes, I agree and I am not opposed to the smell of cedar, but its best quality for my money is that it’s acceptable for outdoor projects. I have made compost bins out of cedar before and they work great.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

T&G Cedar is great for planter boxes too .

I made this out of reclaimed T&G wood .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

John that is very nice. You have a lot of stuff in your yard. It is almost like a park.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

John that is very nice. You have a lot of stuff in your yard. It is almost like a park.

Bill, you have to see it; it IS a park!

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

John,
    That looks nice. My wife is after me to build a couple planters for her to garden in.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Beautiful work! Some of the tongue and groove work has splintered off during the reclaiming process. The boards were nailed right on the shoulder of the tongues in most cases. I’ll joint each piece flat and rip the other side (treat it as S2S at best, I’ll probably need to plane the faces as well, but only a hare to expose new grain, depending on intended use).

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I know this is an old thread, but I scored a new bunch of wood and I thought I should post the pictures here.

A custom millwork shop in the city next to where I work is closing, and I found out that they were selling their stock from another forum I belong to. So I zipped out after work and there was a bunch of great stuff. I asked what his prices were and the guy said “Pull what you want and make me an offer.” So I took out a carload worth and said, “How about $20?” He took the offer right away so I loaded it up and drove it home. It was pouring for the drive and a bunch of them were sticking out the trunk, so I stickered them when I got home. I’ll sort through it later, but among the highlights:

A bunch of butternut (BN in the pics)
    One 10″ wide piece of zebrawood maybe 6’long. My god.
    One board of massaranduba
    A bunch of jatoba
    a bunch of bocote
    a few real thick (12/4 I think) pieces of south american (genuine) mahogany
    some long birds-eye maple boards that are unbelievable
    Some sapele

What a score. They had a bunch of cherry, too, and I may call them back to see if I can take another carload.

I know this is an old thread, but I scored a new bunch of wood and I thought I should post the pictures here.

A custom millwork shop in the city next to where I work is closing, and I found out that they were selling their stock from another forum I belong to. So I zipped out after work and there was a bunch of great stuff. I asked what his prices were and the guy said “Pull what you want and make me an offer.” So I took out a carload worth and said, “How about $20?” He took the offer right away so I loaded it up and drove it home. It was pouring for the drive and a bunch of them were sticking out the trunk, so I stickered them when I got home. I’ll sort through it later, but among the highlights:

A bunch of butternut (BN in the pics)
    One 10″ wide piece of zebrawood maybe 6’long. My god.
    One board of massaranduba
    A bunch of jatoba
    a bunch of bocote
    a few real thick (12/4 I think) pieces of south american (genuine) mahogany
    some long birds-eye maple boards that are unbelievable
    Some sapele

What a score. They had a bunch of cherry, too, and I may call them back to see if I can take another carload.

Thats not a score, thats a heist!

You are a lucky man! Look forward to the projets you use those in

staker
    Pro

Nice score, right place right time.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Bodda Boom Bodda Bing. Nice score.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

wow that is an awesome score, if you find stuff you don’t buy, please DM me. i could always use more stock.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Thanks all. I went back to the place today after work and picked up another smaller load. Maybe 40 bf. $10.
    A bunch more jatoba. Some more butternut. A few strips of walnut. Some nice 12/4 red oak. For the price you can’t go wrong. There is still some stuff there, but mostly it’s pretty picked over. There was some ash but not enough for a project, some anigre (which I won’t really use since it’s mostly for veneers). There were two big boards of reclaimed wormy American Chestnut, but they wouldn’t have yielded enough stock for anything good.
    I probably am done with my run on the place, but a carload and a half for $30 of exotic hardwood is about the best I could have hoped for.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks all. I went back to the place today after work and picked up another smaller load. Maybe 40 bf. $10.
    A bunch more jatoba. Some more butternut. A few strips of walnut. Some nice 12/4 red oak. For the price you can’t go wrong. There is still some stuff there, but mostly it’s pretty picked over. There was some ash but not enough for a project, some anigre (which I won’t really use since it’s mostly for veneers). There were two big boards of reclaimed wormy American Chestnut, but they wouldn’t have yielded enough stock for anything good.
    I probably am done with my run on the place, but a carload and a half for $30 of exotic hardwood is about the best I could have hoped for.

Man, that is a real haul! Bet you were looking over your shoulder all the way home. There’s a bunch of projects there, for sure.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is a great looking pile of wood .Any idea what you are going to build with it ?

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Great buy! I would have bought all he had at those prices.
    Now you need to make something.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Pull what you want and make me an offer.” So I took out a carload worth and said, “How about $20?”

Congrats on the score. Go back for more. That was an incredible price.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MrFid wrote:
    Pull what you want and make me an offer.” So I took out a carload worth and said, “How about $20?”

At that point, thats not a guy who wants to sell the wood – thats a guy who wants the wood gone.

A couple of years back, I had a guy give me a load of walnut and birch so long as I came to get it. He was moving from a house to condo and just wanted it gone – but he wanted it going to someone who would use it. Free for the taking, so long as I took it all (including some pretty bad boards that had almost turned to dust)

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Another good score there. I like getting deals like that.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.448 seconds