dcsimg

Windfall of Cedar

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

The health club that I belong to is in the process of redoing their sauna, as well as some other parts of the locker room. This means that they are ripping out the old cedar and putting in new cedar. I asked the manager if I could have any of the old wood, and he agreed to let me come by when they had started. Well, today the wood was removed, and here’s a few pictures of what I came away with. I see some Adirondack chairs in my future!

Good score! Great for outdoor furniture and board and batten. Smells great too!

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Nice score on the cedar, can’t wait to see the Adirondack chairs you build.

First thought was @cranbrook2, he’d love to get his hands on that cedar to make birdhouses.

I have a huge pile of T&G wood in my shed . it is 80 year old hemlock . Same wood as this !

Super site @cranbrook2. I might have to order a set of plans from you. Beautiful work!

Wear a dust mask cutting the cedar so you don’t get sick like I did.

I see one very very large birdhouse in your future…

redwood
    Pro

I guess I better go to the local gym and see if I can make a score like that. Congrats.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

yellaD
    Pro

Cedar in NA is also good for Shou-sugi-ban. Google that! Something I am absolutely going to try as soon as I have a space to do something like that, in smaller scale to start maybe.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Cedar in NA is also good for Shou-sugi-ban. Google that! Something I am absolutely going to try as soon as I have a space to do something like that, in smaller scale to start maybe.

That is pretty cool , I have seen guys torch wood before but nothing like that , It really creates some very nice looking patterns .

Doobie

Nice score Bailey! 👌

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have a huge pile of T&G wood in my shed . it is 80 year old hemlock . Same wood as this !

That is some nice old Hemlock John. Nice grain.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Just a suggestion, but how about lining your closet with it? I once painted a house that had custom walk-ins and the entire closet walls, ceiling and built in shelves and cabinets were made from cedar. Must have cost a fortune. I must admit, I have never found an Adirondack chair comfortable. I would rather walk into a closet that smelled like a cedar forest. But that’s just me.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I really like that effect. Another one for the to-do list.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wear a dust mask cutting the cedar so you don’t get sick like I did.

What makes the cedar different than other woods that gets you sick? Or does all dust get you sick?

A Working Pro since 2004

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What makes the cedar different than other woods that gets you sick?

Whatever gives cedar its smell, is in the sawdust and it really seems to bother some people and leave them coughing if they don’t take precautions with dust masks or respirators.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@MrFid that’s a nice pile of Cedar,
    That’s a very nice gesture on your behalf to give back two chairs,
    Congrats to you

@cranbrook2
    wow John, that’s a very nice looking birdhouse, looks awesome. I want to live in it lol

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Just a suggestion, but how about lining your closet with it? I once painted a house that had custom walk-ins and the entire closet walls, ceiling and built in shelves and cabinets were made from cedar. Must have cost a fortune. I must admit, I have never found an Adirondack chair comfortable. I would rather walk into a closet that smelled like a cedar forest. But that’s just me.

My house has that, certain closets have cedar and I was told it was for deterring bugs. I have found no bugs in that closet so i assume it works.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Wow Shou Sugi Ban looks very interesting.

Maybe you have just never sat in a well built Adirondack chair hahaha! I have a closet that is lined with cedar as well already, and to be honest, one is enough. We store our sweaters/other wool in there during the off season, but personally I could take or leave the smell of cut cedar in a closet.

cranbrook2
    Pro

If I were to do a closet in cedar I would use red cedar , it has a great smell to it .

You can also use it to line other projects, like chests, blanket boxes or keepsakes, I find planing cedar renews it so that haul can still have a long secondary project lifetime. Enjoy.

Will

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

You can also use it to line other projects, like chests, blanket boxes or keepsakes, I find planing cedar renews it so that haul can still have a long secondary project lifetime. Enjoy.

I agree that cedar reacts well to planing. Most of the boards are already 3/4 inch, so I’ll probably be down a hair or two off that after planing, but that shouldn’t be an issue for my purposes. I may end up using some of it for drawers at some point.

yellaD
    Pro

One of the best qualities of Cedar is the smell, no? Would be a shame to get rid of it or not take advantage of this unique characteristic. I have no idea if shou-sugi-ban would hegate the smell in any way….

cranbrook2
    Pro

One of the best qualities of Cedar is the smell, no? Would be a shame to get rid of it or not take advantage of this unique characteristic. I have no idea if shou-sugi-ban would hegate the smell in any way….

I use white cedar all the time and the only time I can really smell it is when I plane it down otherwise I never really notice it .

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.328 seconds