dcsimg

Will I need 1 more battery platform?

This topic contains 68 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Do you have a local home depot?? If so is there a TTI rep in there??

I have 2 HDs about the same distance away from me about 2 miles and they could not be more different. The one is friendly and organized the other good luck finding any help. The tool section at the friendly store is wel stocked and has a guy that really knows tools. I’ll ask if the there is a TTI rep there.

I have never seen a rep of any company at a Home Depot

At ours – no idea if this is normal for all HDs – the guys worth talking to have a trade and a number of years written next to their name on the apron.

So you can see Phil (finish carpenter, 28 years) or just some random guy without anything written beyond his name. I find that at least half of the semi-retired guys working there are experts in something. The kids are just hoping nobody asks them anything, and the non-trades adult employees are hit-or-miss

Yeah same here, have never seen any rep at our local home Depot in Vaudreuil
    I guess you frequently go to the Pointe Claire store?

The guy in the plumbing dept and the other guy in the electrical dept both have years of experience, and very knowledgeable. But yeah I often see those younger guys look at me when I’m walking down the Isle and they have this look on their faces like oh no I hope he doesn’t ask a question as they turn into the shelves and pretend to arrange the stock lol

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have 2 HDs about the same distance away from me about 2 miles and they could not be more different. The one is friendly and organized the other good luck finding any help. The tool section at the friendly store is wel stocked and has a guy that really knows tools. I’ll ask if the there is a TTI rep there.

At ours – no idea if this is normal for all HDs – the guys worth talking to have a trade and a number of years written next to their name on the apron.

So you can see Phil (finish carpenter, 28 years) or just some random guy without anything written beyond his name. I find that at least half of the semi-retired guys working there are experts in something. The kids are just hoping nobody asks them anything, and the non-trades adult employees are hit-or-miss

The guy in the plumbing dept and the other guy in the electrical dept both have years of experience, and very knowledgeable. But yeah I often see those younger guys look at me when I’m walking down the Isle and they have this look on their faces like oh no I hope he doesn’t ask a question as they turn into the shelves and pretend to arrange the stock lol

That seems to be the issue everywhere, I have 4 big box stores all less than 10 minutes from my house and only one has a friendly courteous staff and the rest, as said. “Good Luck” getting any help at all.
    Weekends are worse as the part timers don’t know Jack.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

That seems to be the issue everywhere, I have 4 big box stores all less than 10 minutes from my house and only one has a friendly courteous staff and the rest, as said. “Good Luck” getting any help at all.
    Weekends are worse as the part timers don’t know Jack.

I often end up helping other people when I go in to buy something. It seems tools and hardware are especially bad, but I kind of enjoy being able to help people buy what they need so I don’t mind spending the time to assist.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

TAMCG the TTI rep has a Ryobi, Ridgid or Milwaukee shirt on, oh and the Makita guy has a Makita shirt on.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Interesting thread.

My local HD has a “Pro Day” every month, on that day they have various reps come to set up tents and introduce their tools, give out hats, t shirts, saw blades and what not. I was able to get better information from the rep.

In general the HD employees are not very knowledgeable about the trade. Just yesterday I need a 3/4″ copper repair coupling and couldn’t find it. There is a label on the rack but the box is no where to be found. I asked the plumbing guy and he didn’t know even what it is. after I explained to him he said they don’t carry it, after I showed him the label he scanned it and said out of stock. I then asked if any HD within 20 minutes may have it in stock he said to check with “customer service”. I gave up.

As far as Ridgid I also have some Ridgid tools, the problem is they do not expand their tool offerings. It’s always the same dozen tools mixed and matched in different kits. LSA for the batteries are nice but they haven’t add a real new tool to their line in a long time. You would think with TTI owning AEG, Ridgid, Milwaukee and Ryobi you would see new tools all the time as the other brands do.

Even though I don’t have any Ryobi I am impressed with their line up. I especially think their garage door opener with battery charger, LED, security camera, WIFI, speaker, fan, inflator, retractable cord, parking assistance is a well thought out gadget. If I jump into Ryobi it will be because of their garage door openers.

My previous battery platforms were Ridgid, Makita and Milwaukee.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It looks like I did need one more battery platform.. I’m now on the Hitachi 18volt platform.

Dirty

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

It looks like I did need one more battery platform.. I’m now on the Hitachi 18volt platform.

No, what did you pick up, the nail gun?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So what new tool did you get?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

It is hard thing not too do. What did you buy or is it a secret?

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It’s a hard thing to keep so many battery platforms.

I think sooner or later someone will come up with a good idea that helps with that.

The OMT tools have various blade adapters.

I have seen some eBay Ryobi to Ridgid or Milwaukee to Rigid battery adapters but those are really “home made” and makes the tool unbalanced.

But I wouldn’t mind a “universal charger” LOL. Why can’t TTI make a universal charger for AEG, Ryobi, Ridgid, Milwaukee batteries? Put a radio on it, WIFI, blue tooth, USB phone charging cradle, and a coffee cup holder warmer, and has facial recognition cameras so unless it’s me anyone walks near it will bark like a dog.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No secret,,

Dirty

No secret,,

Nice tool @Dirty I have always had the best of luck with Hitachi, the occasional battery has eventually died – the tools continue.

Will

Clev08
    Pro

Interesting thread.

My local HD has a “Pro Day” every month, on that day they have various reps come to set up tents and introduce their tools, give out hats, t shirts, saw blades and what not. I was able to get better information from the rep..

As far as Ridgid I also have some Ridgid tools, the problem is they do not expand their tool offerings. It’s always the same dozen tools mixed and matched in different kits. LSA for the batteries are nice but they haven’t add a real new tool to their line in a long time. You would think with TTI owning AEG, Ridgid, Milwaukee and Ryobi you would see new tools all the time as the other brands do.

Even though I don’t have any Ryobi I am impressed with their line up. I especially think their garage door opener with battery charger, LED, security camera, WIFI, speaker, fan, inflator, retractable cord, parking assistance is a well thought out gadget. If I jump into Ryobi it will be because of their garage door openers.

My previous battery platforms were Ridgid, Makita and Milwaukee.

Even though TTI owns all of those companies they do not develop tools under one roof. For example Milwaukee has their own separate facilities for R & D located in Wisconsin. Milwaukee only works directly with the other companies they own like Empire.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Even though TTI owns all of those companies they do not develop tools under one roof. For example Milwaukee has their own separate facilities for R & D located in Wisconsin. Milwaukee only works directly with the other companies they own like Empire.

What makes you so sure about this??? All these tools come out of the same factory in china!
    I think just the opposite.

Dirty

Clev08
    Pro

What makes you so sure about this??? All these tools come out of the same factory in china!

It comes straight from the source (Milwaukee), and the fact that they are in different locations and make different tools for a different target market.

CB
    Pro

I’ve taken the chargers apart from two different tool companies, that supposedly are directed toward two different markets, but were owned by the same parent company.

The circuit boards were the same, trace for trace, resistor for resistor, capacitor for capacitor, supply for supply. I simply had to break a plastic tab off of the guidance tray for the two different brands of batteries for everything to work together.

Trusting what the brands say about themselves is like asking the fox if all the hens are ok in the hen house, without checking personally.

There IS some build quality and feature differentiation between brands of tools within a given family of parent ownership, but beyond the tactile differences that users can see and discern, there is a lot of commonality underneath the plastic of these things.

CB
    Pro

Found the photos of breaking the “cross brand prevention – keep the accessory revenue under the same brand” tabs off of one brand of 20V charger, so that another brand of 20V battery (that is electrically identical) can be charged.

Porter Cable 20v battery charging comfortably inside a Sears Craftsman 20V charger, after modification.

I was told that this was extremely dangerous. That if I didn’t get a charger that had a Porter Cable logo on it, I would cause a fire fueled meltdown of epic proportions. Several years later, the Sears branded charger is still charging my Porter Cable batteries. I don’t have any Sears batteries, nor do I have any Sears cordless tools. The charger was on close out. It cost $10.00 and less than 10 minutes with a screwdriver.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It comes straight from the source (Milwaukee), and the fact that they are in different locations and make different tools for a different target market.

So you believe a Hong Kong based investment group?? I got some land in lower puna I’d like to sell.

Dirty

Clev08
    Pro

So you believe a Hong Kong based investment group?? I got some land in lower puna I’d like to sell.

I don’t see how your point is relevant. I send money to the company that own my apartment every month, doesn’t mean I can’t hold myself to higher standards than them. And that information didn’t come from Hong Kong…

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t see how your point is relevant.

What about this point??? Relevant?

I’ve taken the chargers apart from two different tool companies, that supposedly are directed toward two different markets, but were owned by the same parent company.

The circuit boards were the same, trace for trace, resistor for resistor, capacitor for capacitor, supply for supply. I simply had to break a plastic tab off of the guidance tray for the two different brands of batteries for everything to work together.

Trusting what the brands say about themselves is like asking the fox if all the hens are ok in the hen house, without checking personally.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.433 seconds