dcsimg

Whole Home NG Back-Up Generator Install.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Well, I finally went and did it. I just ordered a 9000 watt NG Generac back-up generator for our house.

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators/guardian-series/9kw-7030-16-circuit-transfer-switch

Delivery from Lowes won’t be til sometime after the 25th, so I have time to pour a pad for it and start getting my head wrapped around its installation.

Been wanting to do this for years. Three years ago we had a nasty ice storm over the Christmas holidays and lost power for 4 days. I don’t want to go thru that hell again. I got sick as a dog as soon as the power came back on from all the stress of that nightmare.

I was initially gonna go for another one on special that was 16,000 watts, but after consulting with my electrician buddy over the phone, I won’t need that much juice. Just about everything possible in our house that can be on gas is on gas. Nine kilowatt should be plenty and it’s a third less in cost saving me around $1,500 plus tax.

This was a one day father’s day deal on Lowes.ca. While I may find it cheaper and cancel this order before they call to deliver it, I expect this to be a done deal.

https://www.lowes.ca/generators/generac-7030-guardian-9000-watt-lp8000-watt-ng-standby-generator-with-automatic-transfer-switch_g2130196.html

I’ll keep posting the progress of all this, especially the pre-install assessment issues and the actual installation itself when that time comes. I’m waiting on Generac to email me the owners/install manuals for the generator itself and the transfer switch as they were not downloadable off their website for me for some reason.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Nice, my wife convinced me a few years back to buy a generator even though we hadn’t had a serious outage in years, it saved us during a 3.5 day ice storm outage … worth it.

Will

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well, I finally went and did it. I just ordered a 9000 watt NG Generac back-up generator for our house.

Whoa nice. That will sure keep you up and running when the electricity goes out. With back-up generators you need a maintenance plan and you need to stick to it, monthly it needs to run for at least a half hour under load, that means it needs to power the house. You need to stick to the plan or you’ll find when you need it it won’t work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@doobie wow, that’s great,
    So it says it runs on natural or LG gas that’s great, I assume you will have a link from your home feed hooked up to it,
    Looking forward to hearing more about this, and the price point seems pretty decent,
    Might be something to look into one in the future.
    Congratulations Kevin, looking forward to hearing and seeing more about this.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators/guardian-series/9kw-7030-16-circuit-transfer-switch

Delivery from Lowes won’t be til sometime after the 25th, so I have time to pour a pad for it and start getting my head wrapped around its installation.

Been wanting to do this for years. Three years ago we had a nasty ice storm over the Christmas holidays and lost power for 4 days. I don’t want to go thru that hell again. I got sick as a dog as soon as the power came back on from all the stress of that nightmare.

I was initially gonna go for another one on special that was 16,000 watts, but after consulting with my electrician buddy over the phone, I won’t need that much juice. Just about everything possible in our house that can be on gas is on gas. Nine kilowatt should be plenty and it’s a third less in cost saving me around $1,500 plus tax.

This was a one day father’s day deal on Lowes.ca. While I may find it cheaper and cancel this order before they call to deliver it, I expect this to be a done deal.

https://www.lowes.ca/generators/generac-7030-guardian-9000-watt-lp8000-watt-ng-standby-generator-with-automatic-transfer-switch_g2130196.html

I’ll keep posting the progress of all this, especially the pre-install assessment issues and the actual installation itself when that time comes. I’m waiting on Generac to email me the owners/install manuals for the generator itself and the transfer switch as they were not downloadable off their website for me for some reason.

Congrats! That is a nice purchase. One less thing too worry about now. I see these generators seem poplar as I see them on my travels. Look forward hearing more about this. Also I didn’t know Lowes sold these.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Whoa nice. That will sure keep you up and running when the electricity goes out. With back-up generators you need a maintenance plan and you need to stick to it, monthly it needs to run for at least a half hour under load, that means it needs to power the house. You need to stick to the plan or you’ll find when you need it it won’t work.

It has an auto weekly 15 minute run cycle duty it does for that. It’s the periodic oil changes that I’ll have to be vigilant about and I hate doing oil changes, so that’ll be a challenge somewhat.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

It has an auto weekly 15 minute run cycle duty it does for that. It’s the periodic oil changes that I’ll have to be vigilant about and I hate doing oil changes, so that’ll be a challenge somewhat.

The auto weekly 15 minute run cycle feature is pretty cool. I always enjoyed changing oil in when I was younger. Now days not so much. One of the problem with changing the oil in that generator is where they put the oil drain plug.

Greg

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

The auto weekly 15 minute run cycle feature is pretty cool. I always enjoyed changing oil in when I was younger. Now days not so much. One of the problem with changing the oil in that generator is where they put the oil drain plug.

You’re scaring me somewhat. Haven’t had a chance to go over the owners manual that Generac PDF’d me late yesterday and won’t til I clear off my desk for the day which may not be til the wee hours in the overnite.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

So it says it runs on natural or LG gas that’s great, I assume you will have a link from your home feed hooked up to it,

Do you mean for the gas or the hydro?

The hydro gets routed from my main panel to the transfer switch box that comes with this package.

For the gas, I’m right next to my meter with where it will be. Or at least the safe distance from the meter, which I think is 3 feet from the meter overflow vent. Gotta double check on that.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Do you mean for the gas or the hydro?

The hydro gets routed from my main panel to the transfer switch box that comes with this package.

For the gas, I’m right next to my meter with where it will be. Or at least the safe distance from the meter, which I think is 3 feet from the meter overflow vent. Gotta double check on that.

Yup talking about the gas line.
    Sounds like it should be an easy installation.
    Going to have to check out what they say about the decibels on these,
    It’s sounding like a great option.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

This one is rated by Generac at 66 db. That’s quieter than my Rolair JC10 which is a pretty quiet compressor that runs at around 70 db.

I just spoke to my gas guy and Enbridge (NG Supplier in our area) and they said I didn’t need any upgrade to my 660,000 BTU rated meter nor does anybody have to come over from Enbridge to do anything, nor any kind of gas permit being required. My licensed gas guy has to double check what the distance from the overflow vent needs to be, but he doesn’t see any problems with where I want to put it.

EDIT: One last point, and this I had asked my gas guy years ago but just wanted to confirm, what happens if it’s a massive regional area that has an outage for weeks? He said not to worry that the NG will still be there.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man that’s really nice all automated. Will you get an automated panel that switches over as well?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

This one is rated by Generac at 66 db. That’s quieter than my Rolair JC10 which is a pretty quiet compressor that runs at around 70 db.

I just spoke to my gas guy and Enbridge (NG Supplier in our area) and they said I didn’t need any upgrade to my 660,000 BTU rated meter nor does anybody have to come over from Enbridge to do anything, nor any kind of gas permit being required. My licensed gas guy has to double check what the distance from the overflow vent needs to be, but he doesn’t see any problems with where I want to put it.

EDIT: One last point, and this I had asked my gas guy years ago but just wanted to confirm, what happens if it’s a massive regional area that has an outage for weeks? He said not to worry that the NG will still be there.

Wow, that’s not very noisy at all.

Good to know that you don’t need to start upgrading all the lines and other mechanical of the system in your home.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Man that’s really nice all automated. Will you get an automated panel that switches over as well?

It comes with the automated transfer swith/panel which can be mounted indoors or outdoor. It allows the bypass of 16 breakers.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Told the wife we’re getting a generator soon. I thought she might be ‘Oh we don’t need that! Why do we need that?’ kinda thing on this one.

Nope, quite surprised frankly. She said fine and that she knows I’ve wanted one for years. She even said she’ll pay half of it for Fathers Day. That was a nice surprise!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It comes with the automated transfer swith/panel which can be mounted indoors or outdoor. It allows the bypass of 16 breakers.

Man that is one complete system. I like the automatic weekly run feature. Yes you need to keep up with the oil changes but being how it is NG powered the oil won’t get dirty near as fast as a diesel.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Man that is one complete system. I like the automatic weekly run feature. Yes you need to keep up with the oil changes but being how it is NG powered the oil won’t get dirty near as fast as a diesel.

So, even if you aren’t at home when the power goes out it still kicks in and does the automated switch? How much time with power out does it need before it begins to take over? We get the occasional momentary power out here; just enough to cause clocks to need resetting. Would that be enough to trigger the generator?

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

You’re scaring me somewhat. Haven’t had a chance to go over the owners manual that Generac PDF’d me late yesterday and won’t til I clear off my desk for the day which may not be til the wee hours in the overnite.

I didn’t mean to scare you there Kevin. I took a look at the manual. It looks pretty easy as there is drain hose for the oil and the oil filter is out in front for easy access. Doesn’t look a big job to do a oil change.

Greg

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

With maybe the exception of a cpuple of breakers in the house, it should feed everything except for my shop main power and my shed power as they are on 60 amp sub panels and those are to high an aperage to connect to the transfer switch. I can live with that.

In the shop, I actually kept all the lighting installed and the garage door opener on the house’s regular feed. Tools and face mounted recepticles are all fed from the sub panel. I did it this way when I set up the shop 15 years ago on purpose primarily in case the sub panel main breaker tripped while working I wouldn’t be in the dark, but now it works out better for now having a generator as well.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’mactually getting doubtful this will be installed for this winter. Sadly, it’s likely gonna sit there for now due too other delays/duties in my life.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.977 seconds