dcsimg

Whittling away at the Honey Do List

This topic contains 69 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  58Chev 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Author

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Why didn’t you go through the attic?

It seems like there was a joist above he was trying to avoid and couldn’t find the right ductwork pieces to go around it. A little drywall work to cover it up and it should be all better.

what I find most interesting is that he has been in that house for EONS and they have always had the fan that doesn’t vent outside and why now change?

@r-ice,
    Well the old one finally bit the biscuit and had to be replaced. It was much easier for me to go this route than up through the ceiling.

I did our range hood on too hot of day and it turned a non-fun job into a miserable job as I went up through the attic and through the roof, would have been nice if I could have gone through the wall.

@bobcdn,
    I hear about working up the attic/crawl space. I use to install home alarms and was the newby on the job that got stuck with going up in the sweltering heat.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Honey do list? Sorry to say but mine is on & uses the whole length of a roll of toilet paper, that’s a 1000 sheets. And, right now I am working on the addition to the shed in my backyard. Before that it was a huge deck that I put 1/2 way around the swimning pool. I got soooo much crap to do & my daughter is banging my ear to build her a China closet out of mahogany. I hate working with that wood, it’s a real pain in the butt, to put varnish on.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Finally getting some time to close in the vent I installed during the summer.
    Frame and insulated today.
    Need to find my roll of vapour barrier then hit the big box to get a sheet of fire rated 5/8″ sheetrock.

— Glenn Botting

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@58chev well done Frank,
    I never seem to have time for any work lately, oh well, one day lol

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

58Chev well done Frank,
    I never seem to have time for any work lately, oh well, one day lol

ThanX @boshmanbrian,
    I know what you mean about finding time to work on things in your own home. This one has been a while and I hope that by the next couple of weeks I can have the first coat of mud on it.

— Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Need to find my roll of vapour barrier then hit the big box to get a sheet of fire rated 5/8″ sheetrock.

That looks like a good job to get off the list. It wouldn’t be high on my priority list.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Peter It really wasn’t on the radar to complete soon but with the cold weather, it has made that back stair well a few degrees colder. 😮

That and it is such an awkward space to work in, at only 34″ wide but from the landing (only spot for the step ladder) to the ceiling is over 10′.

— Glenn Botting

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

What reason did you add it for Frank?

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@doobie,
    It’s in a back stairwell that leads to the basement.
    The vent went through the exterior wall and the cold was radiating through the duct work. My wife and I could feel the difference in temperature when it hits below zero outside.
    Had to be done, the vent went in last summer so at that time it wasn’t a necessity.

— Glenn Botting

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@doobie,
    The vent went through the exterior wall and the cold was radiating through the duct work. My wife and I could feel the difference in temperature when it hits below zero outside.
    Had to be done, the vent went in last summer so at that time it wasn’t a necessity.

Would have made a nice cold room for the vino haha lol

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

@doobie,

Is Frank a wine lover? Or simply of European origin/decent?

What do I know. My wife is of Polish descent and drinks wine voluminous times over what I consume in wine. Then there is beer….no matching that against that in comparison. 😉

Kevin.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@doobie,

What do I know. My wife is of Polish descent and drinks wine voluminous times over what I consume in wine. Then there is beer….no matching that against that in comparison. 😉

Brian,
    No vino there, well maybe a bottle but not for my taste buds. Plus in the summer time that stairwell can get hot.

Doobie,
    Sounds like we are in the same boat, part Polish wife who prefers wine over Vodka. 🙂 But I do like the Polish beers though.

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

nice i always wondered why you didn’t enclose it when you did that. it looks good, now you have to just paint it or drywall it. what can i do with the amount of air flowing in to my house from the stove vents?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

nice i always wondered why you didn’t enclose it when you did that. it looks good, now you have to just paint it or drywall it. what can i do with the amount of air flowing in to my house from the stove vents?

@r-ice,
    You need to see if you can get a baffle for your range hood, K mentioned to me about the back draft that was coming in. If you still have the paper work from it look through it. I recall it mentioning one but never came with one.

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@r-ice,
    You need to see if you can get a baffle for your range hood, K mentioned to me about the back draft that was coming in. If you still have the paper work from it look through it. I recall it mentioning one but never came with one.

i’ll stop by mid this week and see if they sell anything like that, can it be retrofitted now that it is on the wall?

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@doobie,

Brian,
    No vino there, well maybe a bottle but not for my taste buds. Plus in the summer time that stairwell can get hot.

Doobie,
    Sounds like we are in the same boat, part Polish wife who prefers wine over Vodka. :) But I do like the Polish beers though.

Haha, just kidding Frank, actually my ex her father is Sicilian Italian, I know all about wine and cold rooms lol,

Looks like we have something else in common myself and my wife are both mixed part Polski and Irish 🙂 I think it’s a dandy mix ;), we like any type of alcohol lol

On another note, cold rooms are actually not that good for wine, the temperature fluctuations is not ideal. Has to be well balanced, not having the temperatures drop and rise to much.

And I believe Frank is Portuguese 🙂

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

My to do list just got extremely long 🙁 With a 15 month old in a 2 bedroom house we are quickly running out of room and my wife is getting antsy to start house shopping. We had the relator over this morning that sold us the house and she went through and told us what we should fix, repair and update in order to get what we want for the house.
    Fresh paint, re-paint trim and molding, new floor in the kitchen, replace driveway, the list goes on and on. Going to be a busy person the next month or two. Dreading painting the whole house.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Looks like you are on your way to completing that project. Good for you. Where was your previous range hood venting? Can’t stand contractors who can’t properly vent, or don’t understand why it’s important.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Doobie,
    Sounds like we are in the same boat, part Polish wife who prefers wine over Vodka. But I do like the Polish beers though.

I don’t think I’ve ever tried any polish beers. Any brand we can buy at LCBO you recommend?

Kevin.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Looks like you are on your way to completing that project. Good for you. Where was your previous range hood venting? Can’t stand contractors who can’t properly vent, or don’t understand why it’s important.

For almost 16 years the old vent never went anywhere. It had charcoal filters, that was it.

— Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.075 seconds