dcsimg

which trade magazines do you subscribe to?

This topic contains 52 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Sorpa 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

That and Fine Woodworking are still one of the best deals IMO. The content is always first rate.

I cancelled my FWW subscription over maybe ten years ago or more now. Back then I recall it was running me around $70 CAD a year, so their prices must have come down for both those Taunton publications since then.

I haven’t had any WWing related mag subscriptions in that long also. I just found they were repeating themselves every 5 years or so, still, I’ve kept all my mags for future reference purposes.

My real recent intent for FHB was just to get a subscription for online article/how-to reference purposes. But it seemed that with this offer I also get a physical mag which is nice to have for sittin around the pool and reading.

They say they won’t auto-renew, so that’s good. I hate things that auto-renew even if they do send a pre-renewal email notice of such. I can often miss those kinds of notifications.

EDIT: Page flipped, here’s the original post with the offer info.

OLD THREAD WARNING

I got an email today from Fine Home Building which I’ve been pondering whether to subscribe to at least their online only version lately, but have been hesitant to as it is kinda pricey normally if you are in Canada.

But the one day only deal for Father’s Day they are offering me is for a 1 year subscription (8 issues) for $27 USD for the print publication delivered to my door and online access access to their content also. Works out with today’s exchange to $37.36 Canadian per my Paypal receipt I just got emailed back on. This pricing is $20 USD less than what they normally charge us Canucks.

Just thought others might be interested in this also here in Canada, although in trying to find this deal directly on their website, I couldn’t. Had to use the link provided in the email they sent me for the deal pricing. If anybody needs that email forwarded to them, lemme know.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

I got an email today from Fine Home Building which I’ve been pondering whether to subscribe to at least their online only version lately, but have been hesitant to as it is kinda pricey normally if you are in Canada.

But the one day only deal for Father’s Day they are offering me is for a 1 year subscription (8 issues) for $27 USD for the print publication delivered to my door and online access access to their content also. Works out with today’s exchange to $37.36 Canadian per my Paypal receipt I just got emailed back on. This pricing is $20 USD less than what they normally charge us Canucks.

Just thought others might be interested in this also here in Canada, although in trying to find this deal directly on their website, I couldn’t. Had to use the link provided in the email they sent me for the deal pricing. If anybody needs that email forwarded to them, lemme know.

Can’t say I have every looked at the Fine Home Building magazine.

Doobie wrote:

Yep, 35 bucks or so a year is what I have been paying for a while now. It changes with the exchange rate, of course.

That and Fine Woodworking are still one of the best deals IMO. The content is always first rate. Online access is a bonus.

My 1 year subscription of Fine Woodworking just expired. I got through a fundraiser through my girls school. I found it pretty good magazine.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

CB
    Pro

I’ve been a subscriber to Fine Home Building ever since the magazine began. Back in the 80’s and 90’s, it really paid to have the subscription, because every year or two, Taunton would publish an index that would list every article by subject type, along with what issue and page group that article was located in.

Since there was no website, and indeed no internet (other than in the defense, medical, investment, and academic realms) at the time, having all the issues on hand, like a periodic encyclopedia, made a lot more sense.

Quite often an issue would arrive that had a very interesting article, but was on a topic that was just not absorbable at the time, as there were too many other active irons in the fire. But as those fires get put out, and new fires get started, suddenly a project arises that awakens the faint memory of having seen an article in FHB, but not sure when.

That’s when the index edition came in handy. Looking up the general topic might yield two or three articles on the subject, and invariably one of those articles was that one which I remembered, which I knew was good, but couldn’t quite absorb at the time because it was too far afield from what I was doing back when the issue arrived in the mail, but was now just the thing for what I was doing later, when I turned to the index.

I literally have boxes of old FHB issues. I’ve loaned the entire collection out to friends and neighbors who were building their own homes. As the internet metastasized, the issues became thinner, and the articles shorter, and less in depth. The volume of pages devoted to advertisements increased, and the value of the magazine diminished to me, so I let the subscription lapse for about a decade.

About a year or two ago, I resubscribed again. Not sure why, but if I had to guess, it was simply to help keep up with all the new building products that have spawned so rapidly recently. Now, I actually appreciate all those pages of advertising that I used to resent because they took page space away from the formerly damn near scholarly articles of 30 years ago, because without those ads, I wouldn’t know that such and such was even invented.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’ve been a subscriber to Fine Home Building ever since the magazine began. Back in the 80’s and 90’s, it really paid to have the subscription, because every year or two, Taunton would publish an index that would list every article by subject type, along with what issue and page group that article was located in.

Since there was no website, and indeed no internet (other than in the defense, medical, investment, and academic realms) at the time, having all the issues on hand, like a periodic encyclopedia, made a lot more sense.

Quite often an issue would arrive that had a very interesting article, but was on a topic that was just not absorbable at the time, as there were too many other active irons in the fire. But as those fires get put out, and new fires get started, suddenly a project arises that awakens the faint memory of having seen an article in FHB, but not sure when.

That’s when the index edition came in handy. Looking up the general topic might yield two or three articles on the subject, and invariably one of those articles was that one which I remembered, which I knew was good, but couldn’t quite absorb at the time because it was too far afield from what I was doing back when the issue arrived in the mail, but was now just the thing for what I was doing later, when I turned to the index.

I literally have boxes of old FHB issues. I’ve loaned the entire collection out to friends and neighbors who were building their own homes. As the internet metastasized, the issues became thinner, and the articles shorter, and less in depth. The volume of pages devoted to advertisements increased, and the value of the magazine diminished to me, so I let the subscription lapse for about a decade.

About a year or two ago, I resubscribed again. Not sure why, but if I had to guess, it was simply to help keep up with all the new building products that have spawned so rapidly recently. Now, I actually appreciate all those pages of advertising that I used to resent because they took page space away from the formerly damn near scholarly articles of 30 years ago, because without those ads, I wouldn’t know that such and such was even invented.

Pretty good description of the evolution of FHB. I was a subscriber to FWW when I saw issue #1 on a newsstand. I picked it up and immediately subscribed and kept it up like you, saving every issue. Back then I was doing a ton of renovating and valued the updates in materials, methods and designs. Very, very useful information.

When I began doing less renovating, I allowed the subscription to lapse. During the past couple of years, though, I have renewed and still enjoy the content very much.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I get Remodeler, Builder, and Journal of Light Construction.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro

I get Remodeler, Builder, and Journal of Light Construction.

I’ve never even read any of those. Which one is your favorite?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JLC has some really good articles.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro

I kinda thought it might. How would you say it compares to FHB?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Even though I am not a subscriber to FHB, I get their Daily emails with tips and ideas. they are interesting. I typically look at them. As for them magazine, I pick up a complementary issue or two at a trade show now and then , they are typically good reading.

CB
    Pro

JLC seems to have more articles on building science, or at least those were the articles that got my attention. Building science in light construction meaning various technologies that weaponize mankind’s war against mother nature over the exterior envelope of a residence.

FHB seems to have more articles oriented toward refined execution techniques, as well as tool comparisons.

There is a lot of cross over between the two. JLC has always been something I’ve looked at online, but there are actually much denser websites on building science. FHB is something I look at in print, probably from habit more than any other logical reason.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I took advantage of the Father’s day special and subscribed to FWW. I have been thinking about subscribing again after my subscription ran out in April.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Doobie
    Pro

JLC seems to have more articles on building science, or at least those were the articles that got my attention. Building science in light construction meaning various technologies that weaponize mankind’s war against mother nature over the exterior envelope of a residence.

FHB seems to have more articles oriented toward refined execution techniques, as well as tool comparisons.

There is a lot of cross over between the two. JLC has always been something I’ve looked at online, but there are actually much denser websites on building science. FHB is something I look at in print, probably from habit more than any other logical reason.

Thanks!

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

No trade magazines subscription here.
    The only magazine I ever subscribed was National Geographic. They lost me a few years back when half of became full of advertising.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.453 seconds