dcsimg

Which kitchen sink do you prefer?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  JerrySats 4 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

I’ve installed several different brands of kitchen sinks – Elkay, Glacier Bay and Moen. Now I purchased my first Kohler sink and noticed some intriguing differences.

Got me to wondering, for you guys who do remodels, which kitchen sink do you prefer to use. And, which brand of sinks do your customers prefer?

Pat

We have put Kohler’s in our own homes. You can accuse me of being in favor of a great Wisconsin company coming from where I do but we really have liked their products for features and quality. They certainly aren’t the lowest priced Pat but in our eyes, they are worth it.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

I totally agree with you. After years of changing kitchen sinks in the apartments here, I put a Kohler in my remodeled kitchen. Wow, what a big difference!

There are several features of the Kohler that make it stand way above the other brands, in my opinion.

One, of course, is the thickness of the material. The one I got is still kind of thin according to industry standards, but 19 gauge is so much better than 22 gauge.

The other thing I like about it is the shape of the bowls. The sides go straight down and the floor is flat, unlike all the other brands I tried whose bowls have bigger slopes on the sides and the floor. Really makes a difference. My spoons no longer slide into the drain area.

The Kohler is much quieter, too. My garbage disposal is super quiet now.

I think it’s really worth spending just a few extra dollars for a quality sink. It’s the one kitchen feature that gets the most use, so why not get something decent instead of pinching pennies on the purchase and suffering with inferior quality for years to come.

Pat

Anonymous

Kohler brand anything is worth the money in my book. Those things are extremely well engineered and very high quality.

redwood
    Pro

We also use Kohler, with Moen faucets.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I originally thought like you guys but I really prefer a commercial kitchen sink. Nice wide and deep to actually have dishes in and wash.

I really prefer stainless steel sinks . Doesn’t matter the brand . White always gets marked up from dishes .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous

The other thing I like about it is the shape of the bowls. The sides go straight down and the floor is flat, unlike all the other brands I tried whose bowls have bigger slopes on the sides and the floor. Really makes a difference. My spoons no longer slide into the drain area.

There is a lot to say about that design right there, I constantly battle that problem….What faucet have you decided on? Don’t forget to consider that one restaurant looking type I bought, I have two of them now. I’ll never buy another regular faucet again, Plus the LED thing is fun http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/my-new-cool-led-lighted-kitchen-faucet/

SamM
    Pro

I haven’t done enough sinks to have a preference, but I’ve always believed that you get what you pay for. Though I think that the money for the faucet is more important than the money for the sink. I’ve seen faucets that wore out real quick even though they looked like a good one (but we’re less money than a similar one)

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Can’t go wrong with Kohler

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I also use Kohler sinks. I have tried using American Standard sinks before because they have a plant locally and they were good sinks but not quite the quality I was used to with Kohler.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Kohler with moen faucets

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve used many Kohler toilets, but never a sink! If they are as nice as the toilets, I’ll try one out the next time I have the need. I had a plumber once tell me that the Kohler toilets I installed could flush my smartphone they were so powerful. I’d like to keep my phone, but it’s intriguing to know it could handle a phone of that size.

Heavy gauge stainless is definitely worth the price increase over 22ga, IMO.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I installed a customers expensive Kohler toilet and it was a piece of crap.
    I always use American Standard toilets. Kohler is great for everything else.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

There are several features of the Kohler that make it stand way above the other brands, in my opinion.

Thank you for the tip on Kohler sinks DD.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I agree with Skillman. I have a white sink currently, and can’t keep it clean between marking it up with dishes and leftover food particles getting embedded and causing mildew. I plan to switch to stainless steel asap.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

@Dabbs, I hadn’t seen your post on the kitchen faucet before, so thanks for the heads-up. Looks really cool – something I’d go for! I had seen pull-down faucets on display at HD and Lowes, but most of them were broken in the display and I didn’t want to risk buying one.

But that commercial faucet with the light is so cool! I’ve used that type of faucet when I worked in commercial kitchens and they are unbeatable. Thank you so much for letting me know about it!!!

Regarding what faucet I went with – I bought a Kohler. I wanted a single lever high spout faucet with a sprayer that mounts on the faucet base. It was the only one I could find. And I love Kohler’s guarantee. The first one I bought was defective and Kohler sent me a replacement without asking for the other one back. I can easily fix the first one – it just needs grease on an o-ring.

I’m not a fan of Moen faucets. These apartments have the cheapest faucets on the market. I decided to get a Moen for myself a few years ago. It was barely a step above cheapo, in my opinion. But, the Kohler cheapo beats the high-end Moen hands down. That’s just my personal opinion. I don’t mean to insult anyone, but I’m just talking from my personal experience.

Great idea, @Dabbs! Even though I already have a faucet for my kitchen, I’m gonna check out that one you posted about. It really, really fits my personality, too!!!

Pat

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Can’t beat Kohler for guarantee. They sent me faucet parts overnight a few times

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

It seems like most people are going for the under mounted sinks now that granite counter tops are becoming so popular.

I installed Kohler in my home and im loving it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.844 seconds