dcsimg

Which Dust Deputy?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Nice setup. I think I would need a larger can th collect dust and chips or I would be emptying all the time. I do a lot of planing and that creates a lot if chips.

I was thinking about a larger can and also possibly going with the steel setup since I will most likely be picking up more than just chips in the garage. I wish I was better at sketch-up because then I could model some ideas first.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I was thinking about using a 20+ gallon steel trash can. Mr father has an interceptor that is a steel trash can and it works well.

Nice setup. I think I would need a larger can th collect dust and chips or I would be emptying all the time. I do a lot of planing and that creates a lot if chips.

I was thinking about a larger can and also possibly going with the steel setup since I will most likely be picking up more than just chips in the garage. I wish I was better at sketch-up because then I could model some ideas first.

Did you know Dust Deputy has a 10 gallon steel can version for $200?
    http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000002&CatId={2C6BB449-99F9-4CB9-BC27-CAF1BB570002}

Throw some casters on like these and you’ve got yourself a nice little setup then 🙂
    http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000005&CatId={A34256DD-0599-4A53-B7BA-EB8FB4C63260}

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Anyone happen to know if I would lose a ton of suction if I went with a roughly 20′ or 25′ hose to cover the entire shop?

Did you ever find a good answer to this?

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

unless you use hose with a smooth interior you will loose a lot of suction with 25′ of hose. The corrugated hose that is on a shop vac has 9 times more resistance that a smooth walled pipe.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That makes sense. Central vacs have long runs. I guess you just run it along the walls and then have an outlet.

Brad T

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

here is a sample setup of a shop that I found.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

nice layout

Brad T

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I was thinking about using a 20+ gallon steel trash can. Mr father has an interceptor that is a steel trash can and it works well.

Does the can also come under vacuum with a system like the dust deputy? If so that is a lot more area that needs to stay negative and it may affect suction. I am certainly no vac expert though so I could be way off base.

here is a sample setup of a shop that I found.

I didn’t realize we could attach docs… I mean, I guess it is obvious – that is great! Very neat setup!

Jason – did you see my links on page 3 to the steel barrel dust deputy?

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Jason, my father has a two bag dust collector that he added the trash can to. It was difficult for him to change the bag on the dust collector. now only the fine dust gets to the collector and he only has to empty the bag for about every 20 trash cans of chips and sawdust as long as he empties the can when it is about 3/4 full.

here is a similar setup to what he uses. not as high tech as a dust deputy but it works for him.

http://www.toolbarn.com/jet-jw1049.html?gclid=CPTHo-GN6LwCFc5aMgodezAAGA

here is a similar setup to what he uses. not as high tech as a dust deputy but it works for him.

http://www.toolbarn.com/jet-jw1049.html?gclid=CPTHo-GN6LwCFc5aMgodezAAGA%5B/quote%5D

I’ve always wondered about this lid…. Seems like it would go great with a brute (not the bosch kind) trash can but man – I never realized how much those were!! And the cost of nice lids/casters for them are crazy too!!

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think his can was in the 20 – 25 dollar range. It makes is so much easier to handle than a bag it is worth it for him, he is almost 80. I stop by and help him empty it when I can. It is easy for him also. He lives in an area I developed and there are empty lots behind him. He will put the can on his 2 wheel dolly and wheel it to the edge of the lots and spread it out. He mostly works with hardwood so there is not a lot of glues or anything mixed in. That way it basically gets composted instead of ending up in a landfill.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Jason – did you see my links on page 3 to the steel barrel dust deputy?

That steel might be the way to go but its a steep price at $200. I was just at Woodcraft yesterday and I am thinking about picking up the cyclone unit and putting it on a 10 Gallon drum that I will buy off of Craigslist when I can find it.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Jason, where did the $200 come from. The can we used was about 20 or 25 dollars.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Maybe he means the industrial steel 10gal drum setup?

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000002&CatId={2C6BB449-99F9-4CB9-BC27-CAF1BB570002}

Jason, where did the $200 come from. The can we used was about 20 or 25 dollars.

The link I had on the other page (http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/which-dust-deputy/page/3/#post-94508) and that nick pasted but isn’t working super well for either of us haha

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I see that now John, thanks. I think you could do it for a lot less with a standard steel trash can and a couple of plywood disks.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

how hard can it be to find a used steel drum to turn into a dust deputy?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Grounding the Dust Depuity. This was in their literature.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.347 seconds