dcsimg

Which Dust Deputy?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Forgive me, but if you have a good vacuum system that can use a bag, why would you need a dust deputy? I run a ton of dust through my Festool vac and my filters look as clean as the day I bought them. Yeah, I had to buy some bags, but I just keep using them over and over. They don’t cost that much.

How big of a vac do you have Mark? 14 gallonish? I’m still on the fence with this and I’m needing to buy a new vac as my little 6 gallon one is screaming for mercy now everytime I use it

woodman_412

Doesn’t the fine dust still reach the filter when you use a bag Mark? I’ve never used a Festool vac so I’m not sure exactly how they work.

Dan

danpattison.com

As for you John, wait and see how that vacuum works for you before you spend money for a add on. I have a midi and I can get a day of heavy use on my Kapex before I need to think about changing the bag. Other then a table saw , planer or possibly a router, you probably aren’t going to create any more sawdust with other tools.

That is true. No need to get crazy just buying tools for the sake of buying tools. Still, I am inclined to think that letting the dust deputy capture most of the dust will help extend the life of the vacuum on some level, or am I way off base there?

John S

redwood
    Pro

That is true. No need to get crazy just buying tools for the sake of buying tools. Still, I am inclined to think that letting the dust deputy capture most of the dust will help extend the life of the vacuum on some level, or am I way off base there

I think it all depends upon how much stuff you end up pulling through your vac. I don’t know how much the dust deputies cost, but I assume that you could buy a lot of bags with it. If you are a hobbiest or do it DIY, I wouldn’t think it would get enough use to warrant the extra cost.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Still, I am inclined to think that letting the dust deputy capture most of the dust will help extend the life of the vacuum on some level, or am I way off base there?

I think you have a good point John but it is important to consider that the vacuum that is driving the dust deputy is working much harder just to keep the system working. I notice that my vac gets warm to the touch after moderate use. Most vacs these days have a 5 year warranty on them so add in the credit card 1 year and you have 6 years of worry free dust collection.

woodman_412

How do the higher end dust extractors (Festool, Bosch etc) keep the filter clean? I know with my shop vac equipped with the HEPA canister filter the filter will get clogged pretty quick without the dust deputy. I find for me the dust deputy makes emptying the dust much quicker and easier and also keeps the filter clean for a long time and both of those things save me time which saves me money.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Dan, the Festool can use cloth bags. The bag keeps almost everything from reaching the filter.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Dan, the Festool can use cloth bags. The bag keeps almost everything from reaching the filter.

Hate to be a distraction, but every time you mention cloth bags, I think of cloth diapers (I have friends who are using them right now, haha)… So, I am not sure I am partial to the idea of cloth bags 😛

Seriously though, the cloth bags I see are for older Festool vac models… Do they still work with the new ones?
    http://www.amazon.com/Festool-456870-Cloth-Filter-5-Pack/dp/B004MN9IK4
    Or are you simply referring to these?
    http://www.amazon.com/Festool-496186-SELFCLEAN-Filter-Quantity/dp/B002DU3D5E/ref=pd_sim_hi_6
    Sorry, I am just a bit confused…

John S

redwood
    Pro

John, I use the ones in your first link. The 2nd link are for the CT36 self cleaning vac.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

kzcarp
    Pro

John, I think that this is what Kurt was referring to,
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=30282&cat=1,42401&ap=1
    I have seen these in woodworking supply catalogs forever and was always skeptical.

kevin

woodman_412

Oh ok, that makes sense. I didn’t realize that there was a cloth bag inside.

John, I think that this is what Kurt was referring to,

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=30282&cat=1,42401&ap=1

I have seen these in woodworking supply catalogs forever and was always skeptical.

kevin

Kevin, I actually have one of those for sale right now that I’m trying to get rid of. I bought it years ago before I had a dust collector just to get some coarse separation when using my shop vac. They do help to separate the big stuff but they don’t work nearly as well as a dust deputy since they still let all the fine stuff keep going to the vac.

Dan

danpattison.com

If we were handing out a new nickname for you Dan, it could be the Dust Sheriff. Your knowledge on this subject has been quite helpful. Muffin man sounds better though 🙂

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Kevin, I actually have one of those for sale right now that I’m trying to get rid of. I bought it years ago before I had a dust collector just to get some coarse separation when using my shop vac. They do help to separate the big stuff but they don’t work nearly as well as a dust deputy since they still let all the fine stuff keep going to the vac.

I almost picked up one of these this week – I think the lid was only about $12 where I saw it, it wasn’t a veritas. I think I will go for the real deal and buy another long Bosch hose to go with it, then I can leave it stashed in the corner. Anyone happen to know if I would lose a ton of suction if I went with a roughly 20′ or 25′ hose to cover the entire shop?

I almost picked up one of these this week – I think the lid was only about $12 where I saw it, it wasn’t a veritas. I think I will go for the real deal and buy another long Bosch hose to go with it, then I can leave it stashed in the corner. Anyone happen to know if I would lose a ton of suction if I went with a roughly 20′ or 25′ hose to cover the entire shop?

Thanks for the heads up as well Dan. I had just stumbled upon that as well in checking out various cyclone options and was wondering if it was of any value… and whaddya know??!? Dan the LeeValley man is enlightening yet again!

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I am thinking that this is the setup I am going to copy for my garage setup except I am going to add a manifold for it. Do you guys have any custom dust deputy setups?

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/32119

Attachments:
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Pretty nice setup Jason. Did you buildnthsat cart off plans or just wing it?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Nick, I am actually planning on copying that plan. If all goes well I will be starting the build this week.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice setup. I think I would need a larger can th collect dust and chips or I would be emptying all the time. I do a lot of planing and that creates a lot if chips.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Oh that was someone else’s setup. I was going to comment on your shop too lol. Then I remembered your shop from a previous article.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I’m sure that will be a Nice setup Jason.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.483 seconds