dcsimg

Which Dust Deputy?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)
  • Author

So there are a few options that dust deputy offers… the Standard cyclone + bucket, the Festool vac systainer option and lastly a 10 Gal Drum dust deputy (http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000002) Which would you guys recommend for shop use? I don’t plan on traveling with it at all… And assume that I have a festool vac (I don’t but might)

John S

woodman_412

If you get a Festool vac John I would go for the one that docks on top of the vac. If you end up using just a regular shop vac I would go for the regular kit with the bucket and castors. I have that one in my shop as well as the countertop shop and it works very well and comes with everything you need. I would never go back to not using cyclones now, they make a HUGE difference.

Dan

danpattison.com

kzcarp
    Pro

If you are not opposed to spending $200. and you don’t think you will take your show on the road, then you don’t need the festool vac, ( really who does need a festool vac?) then you should get the industrial steel drum version.

Kevin

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

My father has a twin bag dust collector. I fot him the lid that fits a garbage can and I wouls say it keeps 95+% out of the bag and in the can as long as you empty the can when it is 3/4 full. We probably empty the bag once for every 20 cans and the whole thing was about 60 bucks.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

No love for the DustRight dust seperator?

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I keep waivering on getting a cyclone – my vac right now is the pitts, it’s cheap no name Mastercraft. It’s lasted me a long time but it doesn’t take bags, and the filter is clogged the first time I use it. I guess if I did get one I could move it over when I do finally upgrade. Do you guys for the most part leave them stationary and just go with a long hose, or does that hurt the suction? I just don’t want to end up with a train of things to trip over running all over the shop.

No love for the DustRight dust seperator?

Many people say it is nowhere near as good as the Dust Deputy, but I have never actually compared the two myself in person or anything

My father has a twin bag dust collector. I fot him the lid that fits a garbage can and I wouls say it keeps 95+% out of the bag and in the can as long as you empty the can when it is 3/4 full. We probably empty the bag once for every 20 cans and the whole thing was about 60 bucks.

I am not sure I understand the system you are talking about your father using, but sounds like it works great for him!

I am feeling really reassured that I have yet to get the same decision from anyone 😛 😛

John S

I am feeling really reassured that I have yet to get the same decision from anyone

The model depends on what your vac setup is going to be. It also depends on how often you want to empty the dust deputy i.e., size of the dust container. My advice after using my dust deputy is get one for sure as it is a large improvement over no dusty deputy. A larger dust container is a convenience.

I am feeling really reassured that I have yet to get the same decision from anyone

The model depends on what your vac setup is going to be. It also depends on how often you want to empty the dust deputy i.e., size of the dust container. My advice after using my dust deputy is get one for sure as it is a large improvement over no dusty deputy. A larger dust container is a convenience.

Absolutely. And I am leaning more and more towards the 5 gallon bucket or 10 gallon barrel option, especially if there is a way to put trash bags or something as liners to be able to easily dump the dust… but I don’t know if that messes up the cyclone effect or not…

John S

Dan had mentioned earlier you need to have an inner cylinder to hold down the plastic bag otherwise it would cause a problem. You then pull the inner cylinder out and pull out your bag. I found that if you put the bag around the top when emptying the cannister there is minimal dust leakage as your pour into the bag as compared to pouring into a garbage can.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

How do you guy’s think the Dust Deputy would work with metal shavings? Mostly aluminum?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Here is a review of the dust right, the dust deputy and one other systems.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/cyclone-separator-shootout/

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

John, for a small shop I would get the metal dust deputy. I got the plastic one but if I want to upgrade my shop I would have to get the plastic one.

I must admit the dust deputy has blown my expectations out of the water. It separates 99% of dust and chips before they hit my vac.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000002&CatId={2C6BB449-99F9-4CB9-BC27-CAF1BB570002}

How do you guy’s think the Dust Deputy would work with metal shavings? Mostly aluminum?

They don’t recommend picking up metal shavings with dust collection for the possibility if a piece hits the impeller there could be a spark that ignites the dust.

redwood
    Pro

Forgive me, but if you have a good vacuum system that can use a bag, why would you need a dust deputy? I run a ton of dust through my Festool vac and my filters look as clean as the day I bought them. Yeah, I had to buy some bags, but I just keep using them over and over. They don’t cost that much.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Mark, I purchased one for my shop. I have a good-sized canister dust collector that I use to hook up my table saw, jointer, miter saw etc. As it is used the filter does accumulate dust making it less efficient as does the collector bag as it fills up. The dust deputy sits between the collector and your tool and takes the vast majority of dust, chips etc. into its bin making your overall system much more efficient. It is much easier for me to empty the dust bin of the dust deputy than emptying and rehanging bags (if the plastic cooperates) as an added bonus.

Mark, I purchased one for my shop. I have a good-sized canister dust collector that I use to hook up my table saw, jointer, miter saw etc. As it is used the filter does accumulate dust making it less efficient as does the collector bag as it fills up. The dust deputy sits between the collector and your tool and takes the vast majority of dust, chips etc. into its bin making your overall system much more efficient. It is much easier for me to empty the dust bin of the dust deputy than emptying and rehanging bags (if the plastic cooperates) as an added bonus.

I can’t add much to Lon, but I have also heard that it helps a lot when dealing with larger wood chunks that might not be as kind to your shop vac… ie if you are using those larger shop machines like Lon mentioned…

Depending on how often you change bags, there will of course come a point at which spending extra money up front saves you money in the long haul from not buying replacement bags, but it is true that that could be a good while. My thought is that it allows me to probably buy a smaller festool vac (or bosch) and yet still not worry about changing bags as often. By buying the smaller festool vac, I can use the money “saved” to get the dust deputy…

John S

redwood
    Pro

Well I guess that I’m looking at it from a mobile contractor point of view. I could see for a shop setting with multiple tool hookups.

As for you John, wait and see how that vacuum works for you before you spend money for a add on. I have a midi and I can get a day of heavy use on my Kapex before I need to think about changing the bag. Other then a table saw , planer or possibly a router, you probably aren’t going to create any more sawdust with other tools.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Forgive me, but if you have a good vacuum system that can use a bag, why would you need a dust deputy? I run a ton of dust through my Festool vac and my filters look as clean as the day I bought them. Yeah, I had to buy some bags, but I just keep using them over and over. They don’t cost that much.

For a person that uses bags I think that the dust deputy isn’t that important. Basically for a person like me that only uses their vacuum in the shop and makes a ton of sawdust this is an economical way to dispose of the waste and not gum up filters.

Well I guess that I’m looking at it from a mobile contractor point of view. I could see for a shop setting with multiple tool hookups.

Agreed, I see this helping in the shop. I wouldn’t want to be lugging that out to the jobsite. It is not heavy but would take some valuable space.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.466 seconds