dcsimg

Where do we buy our consumables (router bit's etc)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author

I have recently started buying my consumable small tools from a web site called “Wish.com” At this site you can save as much as 70% or more depending on what you buy.

For example I bought a Rockler 45° Lock Miter Router Bit – with a 1/2” shank for around $20 including delivery when the book price at many sites is $80 or as much as $100. Amazon do it for $70 I believe.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I tend to go to atlas or welback sawmill which is really far and out of the way.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Most consumables I get at a big box( drill bits,blades and etc). For more custom items I go to Rockler or order on line. I will look into that site.

Here is another set I bought from the same site … 2Pcs Rail & Stile Router Bit 1/2” Shank Shaker Woodworking Chisel Cutter Set for around the same price as above.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

I redeemed points for some Bosch router bits and they are slicker than cat shit on a linoleum floor. The cut well and leave a nice surface.

Sandpaper, I get at the local NAPA store, they have all the grits and are 3M or Norton, so good quality.

I generally try to buy locally. The hardware store and the lumber store in town for common things. Sometimes the dollar store surprises me with useful things that do not have to stand the test of time and are used for purposes other than what they are meant for. Sometimes finding things is an epic quest.

I went to that website and you have to sign up just to browse. I thought that was a bit of a crappy situation that you had to enter information that can lead to spam just to look.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I redeemed points for some Bosch router bits and they are slicker than cat shit on a linoleum floor. The cut well and leave a nice surface.

I went to that website and you have to sign up just to browse. I thought that was a bit of a crappy situation that you had to enter information that can lead to spam just to look.

Oh yea of little faith … I have not found spam at this site nor would I have recommended it if there was. I believe the reason they want you to sign up is so that they can track both what you browse and what you order so then they can recommend other items to you @JimDaddyO.

We don’t all get our consumables by redeeming points do we?

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Well if we are talking about sandpaper, I really like rhynowet, and that i can use on metal as well. unfortunately i can’t order it in Canada so I have to order from the US and incur a shipping and customs charge for it. The last time i made an order, i think i ended up ordering like a 100 sheets of each grit that i use.

Oh yea of little faith … I have not found spam at this site nor would I have recommended it if there was. I believe the reason they want you to sign up is so that they can track both what you browse and what you order so then they can recommend other items to you @jimdaddyo.

We don’t all get our consumables by redeeming points do we?

I just don’t like the business model. If you want to sell me something, show it to me. If I like what I see ask for the information at the check out. I just think browsing ought to be a bit easier and free.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m an Amazon guy myself. I don’t always buy through them, but their review database is the most thorough I’ve seen, so if you want to learn about a product (and they sell it) it’s a great resource.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

For example I bought a Rockler 45° Lock Miter Router Bit – with a 1/2” shank for around $20

What thickness can that handle? I’m looking for a lock miter bit for a colunm wrap I need to undertake at some point.

Have you used it yet? What’s the quality like?

Rockler 45° Lock Miter Router Bit – with a 1/2” shank

When ordering look for these codes

#22627 is for 3/8″ to 3/4″ thickness
    #91722 is for 5/8″ TO 1 1/8″ thickness

What thickness will you be working with?

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I’m an Amazon guy myself. I don’t always buy through them, but their review database is the most thorough I’ve seen, so if you want to learn about a product (and they sell it) it’s a great resource.

I like Amazon, too. But I always compare prices before I buy at Amazon. Some prices are great, some not so great.

Pat

For example I bought a Rockler 45° Lock Miter Router Bit – with a 1/2” shank for around $20

What thickness can that handle? I’m looking for a lock miter bit for a colunm wrap I need to undertake at some point.

Have you used it yet? What’s the quality like?

Here is a link to 45 Degree lock mitre set up (pdf)

http://go.rockler.com/tech/45-Degree-Lock-Miter-Instructions.pdf

and this one …

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/graphics2/TM26-29lockmitre.pdf

Both are for 45 degree’s

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Let’s keep in mind the rules about posting “deals”….

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Let’s keep in mind the rules about posting “deals”….

I had no idea there was a rule covering “deals” .. sorry if I have broken any. My aim really was to inform others here of a cheaper way to obtain some consumables, although small those items can mount up over a year. Saving can and should be made in the purchase of many. If I have stepped over the line I will understand why the thread is closed.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

@Journeyman Thanks for the site. I just spent a couple hours looking at the site. Lots of small gadgets . I got some bobber stops for fishing.
    Not a lot of tools though.

I tend to go to atlas or welback sawmill which is really far and out of the way.

You see Atlas is adding a second location .

Always willing to learn .

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I buy from amazon on line and this store in person http://www.outilspierreberger.com/en/

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I get it from wherever they have it I try to stick with bosch routers unless they don’t make that specific router bit

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

You see Atlas is adding a second location .

Their new location will be great, lots of parking and only 5 minute walk from my house. Their current location is right downtown Toronto and a major pain to park and go.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.529 seconds