dcsimg

What's Your Work Truck?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

What do you guys drive for a work truck/van? Do you use a cap? Tonneau? Trailer? What works best for you and why?

I drive a 2005 Tundra double cab with 6′ bed. Have a tonneau cover on the back and a 10′ cargo trailer. I find that the tonneau works best for me because I can fit all of my tools in the back of the cab and under the tonneau. My shop is up off the ground so I can flip the tonneau back and walk right into the bed of the truck to load and unload the bigger tools. The cargo trailer takes care of bulkier items such as a cabinet install. Double cab makes it double as a family vehicle.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

currently driving a chev colorado extended cab. no tonneu or cap.. i find caps are restricting for getting sheet goods in and out but keep the weather off of tools.

currently looking at upgrading though, probably nissan. when i do upgrade my truck ill more than likely invest in a A.R.E cap with the side wings

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

I had an ARE cap with the side wings on my Tacoma before I switched to the Tundra. It was a great cap but I’m finding more flexibility in the tonneau now for access and quick removal if you want just an open bed for something.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I drive a 2006 Dodge Dakota . I like because it is pretty cheap on gas and I can still take a pretty big load .I also like the extra space behind the front seat for when I need to go shopping .

woodman_412

That’s quite the load of lumber! Looks like the suspension must be pretty much bottomed out?

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I think I was pushing my luck with the second load ;-)Luckily the sawmill is only 10 minutes away . Maybe I will get a 16 ft trailer this year .

I just bought a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 2012. It pulls a 6 foot trailer with wood and supplies and 3 crew members quite well. I was using a F-250 Super Duty but gas was killing me.

I just bought a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 2012. It pulls a 6 foot trailer with wood and supplies and 3 crew members quite well. I was using a F-250 Super Duty but gas was killing me.

I use to use my hatch back with the auto lift gate, when bought the car they said there was only 500 hundred of this signature series, And all the seats lay down and has just over 100,000 miles and is a 2006 but load with everything and the pull load they said was 4600, but does hold a lot, and I sure miss my pickup truck when I had one of those..

I drive a 4 door dodge ran with a 6′ bed and a tonneau ; and have a 10′ trailer. The tailgate is 2 1/2′ tailgate so I have extra support for 10 & 12 footers. Most of the tools are in the trailer which also has a tonnaeu and solid sides and bottom this keeps everything dry.

Attachments:

Chev 2500 ext cab / shot bed with a 6 x 10 cargo trailer

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

I have a 2004 Nissan truck extended cab with tool box

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

So for all of you dreamers, if you could upgrade your truck what would it be?

kzcarp
    Pro

+ 1 for the nissan with the ARE DCU cap. But there was that no mans land right in the middle of the truck bed that couldn’t be reached from either side. Still, having dry tools that can be locked-up for a quick stop at the grocery store on the way home is pretty great.

woodman_412

If I could upgrade my truck I would probably get a new Toyota Tundra double cab. I would stay with the tonneau cover. I like having no truck payments so I wouldn’t upgrade but if we’re talking about dreaming that’s what I would do.

Dan

danpattison.com

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

a lot of guys i know seem to like the tundra, it seems like a nice truck but for some reason i am attracted to the new RAM’s.

woodman_412

My Tundra is the second Toyota truck that I’ve had and I love it. I’ve never been a big fan of domestics, I’ve always been a Toyota guy.

Dan

danpattison.com

woodman_412

Anybody have a work truck with a manual transmission? Anyone prefer a manual?

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I used to drive a manual. It is great for plowing, or hauling something. Its getting harder and harder to find manuals anymore. Driving stick is turning into a lost art.

woodman_412

I agree Brian, it’s very hard to find a new truck anymore that has a manual tranny in it. My Tacoma had a 5 speed manual and I loved that, it really gave you the most out of the smaller engine. There is just something more fun and satisfying about driving stick. My Tundra is auto for 2 reasons, one they don’t make them in manual and two my wife can’t drive manual.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.513 seconds